Can we still be promoted?

Chester40

Massive win today which keeps the season alive.

We have to give massive credit to Cocu for his faith in the young players too. Picking both Bird and Sibley in midfield took some bravery and he must be ecstatic to see it pay off.

A win next week and it’s most definitely game on.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cocu and Rooney have a massive influence on the style of play. Cocu knows what we are short of. The way that he has brought players through is amazing. We can be promoted if we cancel the 2m rule between our defenders and their attackers. Some top teams would have scored at least two against us today, so we may need three to beat the top teams. Rams a joy to watch today.

7 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Yeh, bank it, we're the best team in the division at the moment and will do a Villa into the playoffs.

I bet the teams vying for the playoff are more nervous about us than any other team around them.

Absolutely this.

And the fact that it would be 'peak Derby' to get promoted in season where we've had crashgate, been persecuted by the EFL, and had a global pandemic.  Only to go on and actually win a play off final.  That none of us could go to.

1 hour ago, G-Ram said:

Win the next one then beat Preston & forest theb we'll be right in the mixer. 

I would argue if we beat reading and Preston, that could actually see us into sixth place. Then it would just be about staying there.

It’s all about belief.

Our run in is tough - five of the top six still to play.

But you would imagine if we could win the next two, belief will suddenly start snowballing and we will feel like we can beat anyone.

I guess much like today - all we can do is win and see where it takes us.

37 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Absolutely this.

And the fact that it would be 'peak Derby' to get promoted in season where we've had crashgate, been persecuted by the EFL, and had a global pandemic.  Only to go on and actually win a play off final.  That none of us could go to.

And btw.

Villa did it on the back of Grealish who wasn't as good as Louis and who is 6 years older.

If you had no clue who Sibley is or his age, you'd still say he was the best player on the park of 21 other Championship players.

And it wasn't even ducking close, he could have had 5.

And that includes Sir Wayne of Rooney.

Bird was great too.

He does all the quiet and underappreciated stuff so well.

It's actually the more established players who are holding the young kids back

Forsyth was poor today, Rooney was little better, as was Hamer and Duane was anonymous.

I did think Waggy had a goor game though.

But, if you can't get excited about this Derby team with him, Bird, Knight et al, then you need help.

Or you're a Forest fan.

We have NEVER seen anything like the surge we are seeing now with our youngsters in my life time.......and I'm old.

Seriously, never.

Believe, believe!

Because unless we have them taken away from us, then we are going to kick some serious azz next season.

For those of you saying 'going up too early'

FFS, get a grip!

I know some of you are gun shy from Billy's teams, and I get that, but seriously, there is no such thing.

We have players who will only get better if we can drag then into the Premier League.

Let's roll that dice!

In all seriousness, I think we will probably fall a kippers dick short, but I think if we make the playoffs then the others will be utterly pooing themselves and we shall show no fear.

Our fixture list is the main reason we have a chance. So many opportunities to actually beat the teams above us means if we can have 10 games in automatic promotion form, we can most certainly reach playoffs, then, who knows?

38 games under lampard 57 points

38 games under cocu who has had to put up with coming in late in pre season, drunk players and club captain sacked, Rooney (good thing) but disruptive as a circus for the club, EFL charge, playing youngsters ... 54 points. Done a great job for me.  

Let’s have a strong finish COYR ???

What’s interesting for me is what must all of those fans who said this squad was mid-table at best be thinking.

I always thought there was more to come from this group and I am glad that Cocu is not only silencing his doubters like myself but getting more and more out of the squad and closer to achieving what it is capable of.

To be on the cusp of the play-offs after being in the mix for the relegation places in December, Cocu has done really well to stay calm and steady the ship.

6 minutes ago, Ramos said:

38 games under lampard 57 points

38 games under cocu who has had to put up with coming in late in pre season, drunk players and club captain sacked, Rooney (good thing) but disruptive as a circus for the club, EFL charge, playing youngsters ... 54 points. Done a great job for me.  

Let’s have a strong finish COYR ???

Post of the week for me. I never knew that. 

Good work fella!

I don’t think finishing in the top six is make or break.

It would be great of course, but for me, it’s more important to lay some groundwork and give us optimism going into next season.

If we could beat 3-4 of the current top six in the run in, what a statement that would send out to the rest of the division.

Impressive home wins v Forest, Leeds and Brentford and another 1-2 away wins and I think everyone would be satisfied.

Looking at the table (currently) I think Leeds/ Westbrom have the cushion to hold on to the automatic promotion places. Fulham and Brentford should hang on for 2 of the play-off slots. That leaves Derby 54pts, Millwall 54pts,, Cardiff 54pts, Bristol 55pts, Swansea 56pts, Blackburn 56pts. Preston 57pts, and Forest on 61pts all fighting for the other slots. We all know our remaining fixtures and barring Reading at home and last game against Brum, we have matches against teams above us. But the ones above us have just as hard fixtures to play. Coming up is Cardiff v Leeds, Preston v Cardiff, Millwall v Swansea, Forest v Bristol, Blackburn v Leeds, Bristol v Cardiff, Forest v Fulham, Cardiff v Blackburn, Blackburn v Westbrom, Fulham v Cardiff, Preston v Forest, Swansea v Leeds, Brentford v Preston, Forest v Swansea, Swansea v Bristol and Bristol v Preston. Out of the teams in with a chance, Millwalll have the least games against the promotion chasing teams, but have 5 games against teams fighting to stay up. Its a tough one to call, I would say that we need to win 3 of our home games and 3 of our away games giving us 72 points. Any less than 72 points, I don't think it will be enough. The points for a top 6 place will be lower than the previous last 6 seasons based on the amount of games already lost by the current top 12 teams. Also based on the fact that the chasing teams have a lot of games against each other. All Derby's games are vital, but the key ones are Preston away and Brentford, Forest at home.

22 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

All Derby's games are vital, but the key ones are Preston away and Brentford, Forest at home.

For me, Preston and Cardiff away are must win, purely because of their position in the table being so close to ours. I would hope we can beat reading and birmingham with little trouble. Then that leaves brentford, forest, west brom and leeds which are a free hit due to the likelihood of them having already cemented themselves in the playoffs or top 2. Though if we are serious about joining them, we're going to have to beat some decent sides. I reckon we can do it.

Archived