Can we still be promoted?

Chester40

14 hours ago, Jourdan said:

What’s interesting for me is what must all of those fans who said this squad was mid-table at best be thinking.

I always thought there was more to come from this group and I am glad that Cocu is not only silencing his doubters like myself but getting more and more out of the squad and closer to achieving what it is capable of.

To be on the cusp of the play-offs after being in the mix for the relegation places in December, Cocu has done really well to stay calm and steady the ship.

We're 12th !Smack bang mid table.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone’s been saying that this season is too early anyway, next season is our season, Cocu needs a proper preseason with the young guns bedded in and established (I’ve been gardening during kick down, can you tell?). 

funny thing about this year is, these 9 games are like a mini season. So maybe people saying those things aren’t wrong, but next season is actually these 9 games right here. 

if we’re all so confident we could trounce the league next season, and go up automatically (which I am), then who’s to say we can’t pull off that sort of form for these last 9 games, and continue that form through the play offs?

I just thought though. Imagine if we did sneak into 6th place, and the efl still haven’t pulled their fingers out to make a decision one way or the other. We’ll about 6 other teams besides boro there was some other team recently that was annoyed by it, absolutely apoplectic that we haven’t had a points deduction. 

there would be massive pressure on the efl. And even if we’re technically in the right (which even we as fans can’t agree on), the swell of public opinion might sway the final judgement against us anyway.  

which would be an absolute bloody travesty, cos none of it would be cocus fault, or birds or sublets or knights or even Rooney’s, and they’re the ones that would have secured us the play off spot. 

Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I just thought though. Imagine if we did sneak into 6th place, and the efl still haven’t pulled their fingers out to make a decision one way or the other. We’ll about 6 other teams besides boro there was some other team recently that was annoyed by it, absolutely apoplectic that we haven’t had a points deduction. 

there would be massive pressure on the efl. And even if we’re technically in the right (which even we as fans can’t agree on), the swell of public opinion might sway the final judgement against us anyway.  

which would be an absolute bloody travesty, cos none of it would be cocus fault, or birds or sublets or knights or even Rooney’s, and they’re the ones that would have secured us the play off spot. 

they can't do anything this season now because they have missed the deadline. 

Sith Happens
Just now, TigerTedd said:

Oh good. Then there will just be a lot of pissed off people, which is quite funny really. 

if we make the play offs and boro go down, I might be in a & e from laughing so much 

16 hours ago, Jourdan said:

What’s interesting for me is what must all of those fans who said this squad was mid-table at best be thinking.

I always thought there was more to come from this group and I am glad that Cocu is not only silencing his doubters like myself but getting more and more out of the squad and closer to achieving what it is capable of.

To be on the cusp of the play-offs after being in the mix for the relegation places in December, Cocu has done really well to stay calm and steady the ship.

We are mid-table though aren't we. On the current league standings at least. 

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The problem is, we really have no room for error. Every single game is vital now. Still, confidence has to be running high - particularly for Sibley, I bet he can't wait to get back out there.

Think we pretty much picked up where we left off. The defence looked a bit rusty and the players who have always had to build their form (Tom and Duane for example) weren't quite on it, but every side will need games, not just us. I honestly don't think anyone will really relish playing us right now and that's not just with my B & W goggs on. We're the form team of the league right now.

For me, the Reading game is critical. It's the kind of fixture that's been a banana skin for us in the past, but a convincing win (or even a scrappy one tbh) and out blood is up along with our momentum. It's such a huge game in the context of the season and I'm more concerned about Reading than I am the likes of Preston, whom I am convinced we will beat comfortably. 

1 minute ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Think we pretty much picked up where we left off. The defence looked a bit rusty and the players who have always had to build their form (Tom and Duane for example) weren't quite on it, but every side will need games, not just us. I honestly don't think anyone will really relish playing us right now and that's not just with my B & W goggs on. We're the form team of the league right now.

For me, the Reading game is critical. It's the kind of fixture that's been a banana skin for us in the past, but a convincing win (or even a scrappy one tbh) and out blood is up along with our momentum. It's such a huge game in the context of the season and I'm more concerned about Reading than I am the likes of Preston, whom I am convinced we will beat comfortably. 

I think the playoff teams must be looking nervously down at us, when we click we can blow away any defense in this league. I agree on the Reading game - not only is it one of our easier games on paper, but if we can take momentum into our crunch 6 pointers it will have such a huge benefit. 

You know what, I'm just happy we're getting to have this discussion after the first half of the season. We're just a different team entirely. 

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I think the playoff teams must be looking nervously down at us, when we click we can blow away any defense in this league. I agree on the Reading game - not only is it one of our easier games on paper, but if we can take momentum into our crunch 6 pointers it will have such a huge benefit. 

You know what, I'm just happy we're getting to have this discussion after the first half of the season. We're just a different team entirely. 

Me too! You were a right mizgog early on ?? 

In all honesty this is what it's all about, being Rams fan, that is. If we ever did anything the conventional way, we'd all fall off our seats. Along with a good few other on here, I've got some really 'interesting' bets on us to make the play-offs and also for promotion at monster prices, so it's fair to say my interest has piqued over the last 10 games or so! ?

COYR

Just now, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Me too! You were a right mizgog early on ?? 

In all honesty this is what it's all about, being Rams fan, that is. If we ever did anything the conventional way, we'd all fall off our seats. Along with a good few other on here, I've got some really 'interesting' bets on us to make the play-offs and also for promotion at monster prices, so it's fair to say my interest has piqued over the last 10 games or so! ?

COYR

?? I had bets on us being relegated in October/November time. Safe to say I was hilariously wrong on that one. 

Could be in for a few quid! 

We just clicked so fast from late December, they seemed to just ''get'' it after the Charlton game, and it's only gone upwards from there. I'm hoping for a second playoff appearance against the dirties...

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

?? I had bets on us being relegated in October/November time. Safe to say I was hilariously wrong on that one. 

Could be in for a few quid! 

We just clicked so fast from late December, they seemed to just ''get'' it after the Charlton game, and it's only gone upwards from there. I'm hoping for a second playoff appearance against the dirties...

Ha! Fair play for admitting that! Most wouldn't! ? 

I think it's fair to say that we're still more likely to finish out of the slots than in (from a mathmatical perspective at least) but if we win our next two then there'll be some interesting cash out options for sure. Also, apart from betting us to make the play off final last year, I've not landed a Derby bet in over a decade so I'm owed a good few quid! 

4 hours ago, Patrick Rams said:

We're 12th !Smack bang mid table.

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

We are mid-table though aren't we. On the current league standings at least. 

Yes, for now.

But with just three points separating 6th and 12th, we have potential to climb the table.

That’s all I was saying.

Obviously we could lose to Reading and then to Preston and all this talk would be meaningless but I think the lads will take huge confidence from yesterday.

Sith Happens

After the start we had and the off field stuff this season sitting 3 points off with 8 games left is something I would never have dreamed might happen....

Interesting to see that over the last12 matches we are 2nd, in terms of points won. .. more interesting is that we are easily 1st in goals scored but ... about 14th in goals against ... Defence needs tightening but Lordy Lordy I just hope these boys become a team that simply out scores the opposition in every game. .. you just want to go to a game and think ... all will be well .. we’ll score, no worries ???

I still think we'll fall short of the top 6 but what is interesting are our run of remaining fixtures. Over the season, we've struggled to convince & been very inconsistent...we've now hit some impressive form & a starting line up that looks both strong & settled. Are we good enough to go up? Games against West Brom, Leeds, Preston, Forest, Brentford and Cardiff are the big audition...if we can't beat most of that lot (all of who are above us), we would struggle horribly in the division above & therefore dont deserve to go up. 

If we do, then this team is ready to thrive at a higher level without the extra season that I (and many others) thought it needed to develop. No pressure, lets go for the jugular.

Archived