Can we still be promoted?

Chester40

7 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

Does anyone seriously want to get promoted this season?? With the almost non-existent turnaround to the start of the next Prem season? And then probably not even going to be able to go to the game for the foreseeable? I think it has potential to be even more disastrous than the last time under Wee Billy

We just need to keep picking up results and finish the season strongly, keep the same manager (for once)  so that we have some continuity into next season, make a handful of canny signings, continue to develop the young lads and then go up as Champions comfortably with a strong, settled squad

Wont that be the same if we are still in the championship?

The vultures will be circling if we miss out on promotion.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

We are not essentially 4 points behind them as we are 3 and 4 goals behind them on goal difference. 

To finish level with them at the end of the season, that gap will have to reduce by at least 2 goals (they lose when we win).

This will put us 1 and 2 goals away from them, which is not a point. If we were 10 goals behind them, then fair enough.

A one goal better goal difference has the effect of Aguero time winning the Prem but not on points, so essentially not a point, just the deciding factor in certain aguerostances.

51 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Cash in the bank is no compensation for getting smashed out of sight in the Premiership (again). Remember when we went up last time & people were banging on about it being a 100 million pound game...we barely spent when we went up & look what good it did us in the long run. 12 years now in this purgatory.

Would also add our best ever teams werent expensively assembled and on the rare occasions when we have been big spenders (1992-94, 2015-17), we've failed absymally i.e. its no guarantee of future success. Cant just buy a team, they evolve.

Point taken but I will take the cash and buy some parachutes for three seasons after we get relegated. Villa splashed £125 million and may yet get relegated this season. Ask the Villa fans if they would rather have lost to us at Wembley

14 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Always push for promotion. As much as you can 'build' for next season, it could also go horribly wrong. 

Alexxxxx, I think that there are only four x's in Alexxxx. At least there was when I went to skool. Only joking. Great name 

8 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

Does anyone seriously want to get promoted this season?? With the almost non-existent turnaround to the start of the next Prem season? And then probably not even going to be able to go to the game for the foreseeable? I think it has potential to be even more disastrous than the last time under Wee Billy

We just need to keep picking up results and finish the season strongly, keep the same manager (for once)  so that we have some continuity into next season, make a handful of canny signings, continue to develop the young lads and then go up as Champions comfortably with a strong, settled squad

On average 300 rams fans die every year and as an older individual who does not know how many years I have left to witness the Rams going back  where they belong I have to say, I find it incredibly insensitive for you to say that you want promotion put on hold for another 12 months. 

We should all seriously want to get promoted as soon as possible and I post this on behalf of the 300.

9 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

You do make some excellent points 

32 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

On average 300 rams fans die every year and as an older individual who does not know how many years I have left to witness the Rams going back  where they belong I have to say, I find it incredibly insensitive for you to say that you want promotion put on hold for another 12 months. 

We should all seriously want to get promoted as soon as possible and I post this on behalf of the 300.

But then looking at it another way, would you want your last season as a Ram before shuffling off this mortal coil spent watching us get humiliated again in the Prem or having a fantastic season in the Championship top 2? For me it's all about winning. As someone who started going to the game in the early 80s - my favourite seasons have always been the promotion winning ones in Division 2 and then Division 1. That Prem season under Billy was horrible and I never want to go through that again. I don't really care what league we're in so long as we're doing well

But thanks to all who replied to my hypothetical question - I should have really caveated the post by saying that was my sensible head talking, but my heart very much still wants us to make the play-offs. Maybe I'm, just pre-empting the disappointment. If we lose the next couple of games and the play-offs become nigh on impossible, you can all nick my reasoning  :)

3 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

But then looking at it another way, would you want your last season as a Ram before shuffling off this mortal coil spent watching us get humiliated again in the Prem...

You know this is what would happen? Is Cocu only as good as Billy then?

10 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Something about being a Derby fan makes me naturally pessimistic about our chances of anything!

And yet remarkably optimistic of going up as champions next season, should we be fortunate enough to remain at this level for another season!

6e8i.gif

Archived