Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

22 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Here's what I wrote in August. 

Such high hopes, all shattered. But time is a great healer and having heard the Inception theory (aka made-up nonsense), I might give TENET another go soon. 

You're a more patient man than I. There are plenty of films I've watched on multiple occasions, often gleaning a little more with each viewing. Tenet won't be one of them, however. While the science behind the story was fascinating and actually quite credible, there was nothing else to draw me back in. The science is also the only link I can see between the two films.

This said, I'll doubtless be as keen as the next guy to see what Nolan does next. I admire the fact that he 'pushes the envelope' so perhaps my gripe with Tenet is that it felt like 'pushing' for the sake of it. As someone who worked in the industry I think I retain perhaps old-fashioned notions around entertainment value as being a core directive. Tenet left me feeling nothing really, save for mildly annoyed I'd given up over two hours to view it.

Edited by 86 Schmokes & a Pancake

14 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I admire the fact that he 'pushes the envelope' so perhaps my gripe with Tenet is that it felt like 'pushing' for the sake of it.

Yes, that's about the size of it.

Mrs WHR struggled with Dunkirk at the pictures as the 'Mole' explanation was fleeting and she didn't know what one was anyway.

But the film was about ultra lionizing the RAF and she got that.

On 01/12/2020 at 11:36, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

You're a more patient man than I. There are plenty of films I've watched on multiple occasions, often gleaning a little more with each viewing. Tenet won't be one of them, however. While the science behind the story was fascinating and actually quite credible, there was nothing else to draw me back in. The science is also the only link I can see between the two films.

This said, I'll doubtless be as keen as the next guy to see what Nolan does next. I admire the fact that he 'pushes the envelope' so perhaps my gripe with Tenet is that it felt like 'pushing' for the sake of it. As someone who worked in the industry I think I retain perhaps old-fashioned notions around entertainment value as being a core directive. Tenet left me feeling nothing really, save for mildly annoyed I'd given up over two hours to view it.

Was rather hoping TENET was going to star Bo Derek alongside our extraterrestrial friend. Alas I was disappointed.

As Good As It Gets

Melvin Udall (Jack Nicholson) is probably the most obnoxious person you could ever wish to not meet - totally self-centred, a total slave to OCD, a character you would gladly strangle, even if he were already dead - but by the end of the film, you love him.

I have probably seen this movie a dozen times, and I still cry with laughter at the utter ridiculousness of some of the situations and some of the utterly outrageous things that Melvin says, such as...

People who talk in metaphors oughta shampoo my crotch

Dr. Green, how can you diagnose someone as an obsessive compulsive disorder, and then act like I have some choice about barging in here?

(to Simon) No need to stop being a lady. Quit worryin! You'll be back on your knees in no time!

1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

80 minutes into National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation and it’s absolutely poo.

How on earth is it so popular?

How dare you....its a great film.

?

Watched 1917 on Prime. It’s good and cleverly filmed, like 1 long camera shot. Not too many high intensity moments, but well done. You have to be in the mood to sit for 2 hours as it can be slow paced though. Not amazing by any stretch, worth a watch once. Not flashy, well made, Eustace/10

3 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

80 minutes into National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation and it’s absolutely poo.

How on earth is it so popular?

Absolute classic film....... “it’s a bit nippley out” oh I man nippy ???

48 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

not a patch on European Vacation.

I liked them all, the 4 originals that is but the 1st is the best for me