Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

1 minute ago, JoetheRam said:

Seven

Somehow never seen this. Bit convoluted and I'm not a major fan of the way it's shot, but the ending is amazing and keeps you hooked right to the end.

Seth Johnson/7

As you say good ending. Also, as you say, seems to take forever to get to that point.  Know what you mean about how it's shot- a bit like Alien 3 which was made about the same time by the same director.  Fell asleep watching it at the cinema and woke up for the last 10 minutes which was the best bit.

Pieces of a woman on Netflix. 

Story of a woman who loses her baby a few minutes after it is born. 

As she tries to come to terms with her grief she comes under increasing pressure to prosecute the midwife and to resume her former relationship with her husband. 

Not the sort of film I would normally watch and I have a short attention span but I was gripped by it. 

Terrific performance by Vanessa Kirby (Princess Margaret for you Crown fans). 

8/10 and I mark tough. 

Red Lights (free on Amazon Prime)

Psychologist Margaret Matheson (Sigourney Weaver) and her assistant (Cillian Murphy) study paranormal activity, which leads them to investigate a world-renowned psychic (Robert De Niro) who has resurfaced years after his toughest critic mysteriously passed away.

From 2012 & for some reason had never heard of it before, despite the strong cast and subject matter of interest to me.

The film's ending has been divisive and the imdb scores all seem to vary wildly depend on whether people like it or not.

I did. A solid 7/10

The midnight sky on Netflix with Clooney. It’s not a bad film, bit slow in places. But the biggest question is why did no one ask what happened to the Earth???? They kept saying “oh it’s so bad down there” but know one asked how it happened, sooooooo frustrating and ruined it for me.

4/10

3 hours ago, TexasRam said:

The midnight sky on Netflix with Clooney. It’s not a bad film, bit slow in places. But the biggest question is why did no one ask what happened to the Earth???? They kept saying “oh it’s so bad down there” but know one asked how it happened, sooooooo frustrating and ruined it for me.

4/10

From what I've heard in the space community, you're being incredibly generous to it with a 4 out of 10! 

Ended up rewatching Oblivion last night (2013 scifi with Tom Cruise). It has a terrible start. The mantra of writing is always show not tell, and the movie spends the first 15 minutes telling the audience what has happened to get us to up to speed for when the film begins. But if you can get over that, the rest of it is very good. There's even an appearance from a swashbuckling Jaime Lannister.

The end result is quite thoughtful scifi. I'd give it a comfortable 7/10. Maybe it should be an 8?

2 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Hacksaw Ridge. 

Really good story about an American medic who joined the army and ended up in Japan in WW2. He was a consciousness objector and refused to carry a weapon. 

Harrowing battle scenes. 

8/10. 

That film annoyed me. Why didn't the Japanese just cut down the rope ladder?

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Ended up rewatching Oblivion last night (2013 scifi with Tom Cruise). It has a terrible start. The mantra of writing is always show not tell, and the movie spends the first 15 minutes telling the audience what has happened to get us to up to speed for when the film begins. But if you can get over that, the rest of it is very good. There's even an appearance from a swashbuckling Jaime Lannister.

The end result is quite thoughtful scifi. I'd give it a comfortable 7/10. Maybe it should be an 8?

That's put me right off- Leeds scrote

8 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Hacksaw Ridge. 

Really good story about an American medic who joined the army and ended up in Japan in WW2. He was a consciousness objector and refused to carry a weapon. 

Harrowing battle scenes. 

8/10. 

Shouldn't there be a coma after the word "objector"?

Finally got round to watching Green Book.

Really glad I did. Haven’t enjoyed a film so much in a while. I like films based on true stories and whilst there are obviously a few bits for entertainment and story development, this is a valuable reminder of why we need to learn from our history.

The green book was a kind of AA guide for black travellers in America, letting them know where they were welcome to stay.

Our tale plots a brilliant pianist on tour in the southern states in 1962, driven by an Italian American night club heavy. Culturally they’re a world apart. The chemistry between the actors is great.

A solid nine.

14 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Despite not being a Tom Criuse fan, I really like the film.

I love the design asthetic & also a great music score from M83.

Excalibur. Not seen it for years.

Completely over the top.

Nicol Williamson really giving it some as Merlin and Patrick Stewart does a lot of shouting.

Even the dismembering of assorted pawns manages to look camp.

It's difficult not to see it as a remake of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I even found myself saying, 'It's only a model' and singing, 'we dance when e'er we're able,' at various points.

The armour is very shiny indeed.

5/10

15 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Hacksaw Ridge. 

Harrowing battle scenes. 

8/10. 

If you think the battle scenes in Hacksaw ridge are harrowing, try the 1993 German film 'Stalingrad', you'll plop yourself.

It all gets a bit trippy in the last 20 minutes, but the two big battles are spectacularly grim.

2 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Excalibur. Not seen it for years.

Completely over the top.

Nicol Williamson really giving it some as Merlin and Patrick Stewart does a lot of shouting.

Even the dismembering of assorted pawns manages to look camp.

It's difficult not to see it as a remake of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I even found myself saying, 'It's only a model' and singing, 'we dance when e'er we're able,' at various points.

The armour is very shiny indeed.

5/10

"The King without a sword. The land without a king!" 

Gotta be at least an 8!