Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

12 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Triumph of style over substance, if any kind of triumph at all. The obsession with shooting the thing to appear as if it was a single take was ridiculous. Hitchcock used long single takes for a reason, not out of vanity.

I didnt mind that, I like the idea of a journey. The death of his friend was oddly acted and oddly timed. It was too early to build a sense of friendship and too late to make it a purely personal journey.

The whole premise of their task was ridiculous. It was based on the true story of his Grandad (or Grandad) but if told accurarely that would have been a film of a less grand nature and he got caught between two stools.

I won't say anymore about inaccuracies as they would be spoilers to those who haven't watched it.

10 hours ago, sage said:

I didnt mind that, I like the idea of a journey. The death of his friend was oddly acted and oddly timed. It was too early to build a sense of friendship and too late to make it a purely personal journey.

The whole premise of their task was ridiculous. It was based on the true story of his Grandad (or Grandad) but if told accurarely that would have been a film of a less grand nature and he got caught between two stools.

I won't say anymore about inaccuracies as they would be spoilers to those who haven't watched it.

Weirdly.. I agree with everything you say, it seemed an odd mixture of buddy movie but then a personal journey, which was grounded in gritty, grim reality but then strangely unrealistic and bordering on the fantastical.

BUT.. I still really enjoyed it. I think it has suffered from so much attention on the back story, the cinematic approach etc etc.. Just taken as it stands, I think its a really good movie which my kids loved too. 

41 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Weirdly.. I agree with everything you say, it seemed an odd mixture of buddy movie but then a personal journey, which was grounded in gritty, grim reality but then strangely unrealistic and bordering on the fantastical.

BUT.. I still really enjoyed it. I think it has suffered from so much attention on the back story, the cinematic approach etc etc.. Just taken as it stands, I think its a really good movie which my kids loved too. 

If you ignore the fact they could easily have just dropped a message from a plane to the attacking regiment, thus rendering the whole journey pointless, its decent enough. Just was expecting so much more.

Maybe its a lockdown thing. We seek something to lift us rather than just bumble along. If we sign Dursun and he is OK, then he may also be viewed as a disappointment.

The Highwaymen

Based on the true story of 2 ex Texas Rangers tasked with tracking down Bonnie and Clyde.

Stars Woody Harrelson and Kevin Costner. 

Really enjoyed watching this as based around people I have heard of but know only a little about

Mark Wright/10.

Band of Brothers (mini series)

This would be my "go to best thing ever made TV" Like saving private Ryan but true accounts

Based on the true actions of Easy Company 506 regiment of 101st Airbourne division following them from basic training right through the 2nd World War including The Battle of the bulge ,finding concentration camps and taking Hitlers Eagles nest.

You find yourself getting emotionally attached to the characters because they are real.

If you have never seen this you really need to give it a go made all the more better as in every episode you get to see and hear from the real heros who served.

Kevin Hector/10

Edited by Kooklaram

Peppermint.

Dad and daughter get gunned down in a drive-by at the fairground.  Mum disappears, and returns s few years later as a rather hot tough cookie, with only one thing on her mind... revenge, and looking good!  Oh... That's two things!

She's angry, but focussed.  Sweaty and grubby, whilst retaining her femininity.  Brutal, yet ever so caring.  Methodical, yet vulnerable.
Tooled up to the max, and quite happy to take out all and sundry on her quest to get to Mr Big. 

I do like a bit of vigilantism, and with a bit of help from Google, I think I now have a new middle aged crush!

George Thorne/10  ?

The November Man with Pierce Brosnan. Action/political thriller 7/10. Also a couple of underrated Brosnan films showing his alternative 'Bond' persona are Shattered 7.5/10 and Ghost Writer 8/10 (more of a supporting role to Ewan McGregor this one).

Edited by TimRam

On 20/12/2020 at 08:06, Mucker1884 said:

If I was anywhere near capable, I'd like to think I could have written that... word for word! 

Watched it last night, and couldn't agree more.  It's "not our thing" usually, and we only watched it because we thought we should finally watch a film that wasn't more than 10 years old!  ? 

A very enjoyable watch, in an uncomfortable kind of way!  

Kinkladze/10

I think The Joker was worth watching. The acting was very good. It was dark and it portrayed him as very disturbed but some of the abnormal things going on in his life were only hinted at. His weirdness was understated. Despite all the bleakness I found myself laughing more than I do with most films. The anarchy was a bit prophetic. I'd give it 6/10.

14 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Peppermint.

Dad and daughter get gunned down in a drive-by at the fairground.  Mum disappears, and returns s few years later as a rather hot tough cookie, with only one thing on her mind... revenge, and looking good!  Oh... That's two things!

She's angry, but focussed.  Sweaty and grubby, whilst retaining her femininity.  Brutal, yet ever so caring.  Methodical, yet vulnerable.
Tooled up to the max, and quite happy to take out all and sundry on her quest to get to Mr Big. 

I do like a bit of vigilantism, and with a bit of help from Google, I think I now have a new middle aged crush!

George Thorne/10  ?

Never seen the movie but I gave you a resounding round of applause emoji for a cracking review. Made me wanna watch it anyway! ?

15 hours ago, Kooklaram said:

Band of Brothers (mini series)

This would be my "go to best thing ever made TV" Like saving private Ryan but true accounts

Based on the true actions of Easy Company 506 regiment of 101st Airbourne division following them from basic training right through the 2nd World War including The Battle of the bulge ,finding concentration camps and taking Hitlers Eagles nest.

Great shout. Only watched it for the first time about 18 months back and ended up pulling an all-nighter. I really liked the way it just told the story of these young men without ever trying to moralise. It's pretty harrowing at times, I suppose because one senses it's not overstated, nor does it hide uncomfortable truths. You kinds get the feel that this is how it was. All in all, it's really quite a remarkable show and like you, I'd put it up there with any series I've ever seen. Certainly something I'll revisit in time.

18 hours ago, Rev said:

Do you need to have seen the original film to enjoy it?

No, but definitely watch the original as well. Both are some of the best British family films you could ask for. It’s wholesome watching. Everyone will enjoy them as there is genuinely something for everyone in the stories. 2 is better than 1, which is a rare thing when the first film in a series is good! 

Soul

The new Disney Pixar film about a music teacher who falls down a hole and ends up in The Great Before. His soul then gets swapped with a cat before he finds his true calling. Superb. Feel the way it examines the big questions will be lost on young kids perhaps, but for anyone 10 plus it's a great tonic to 2020.

Asanovic/10

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is a 2018 historical romantic-drama film directed by Mike Newell and written by Don Roos and Tom Bezucha. The screenplay is based on the 2008 novel of the same name, written by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. The film stars Lily James, Michiel Huisman, Glen Powell, Jessica Brown Findlay, Katherine Parkinson, Matthew Goode, Tom Courtenay and Penelope Wilton. Set in 1946, the plot follows a London-based writer who exchanges letters with a resident on the island of Guernsey, which had been under German occupation during World War II.

Saw the trailer in the olden days (early 2020) when we could go to the cinema. Eventually got round to watching it yesterday with my wife. We both thought it was great - 9/10.

• 2 weeks later...