Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

Watched Xmen: Dark Phoenix on Disney Plus, having only read and heard terrible reviews. I was expecting the worst film possible. 

You know what, it ain't bad. Lots of big names actors playing roles fairly well. Story is a bit light, and action scenes can be a bit a long due to being stretched out. But it certainly wasn't the worst film I've seen. Not sure I need to watch it again.

Gilles Sunu/10

The Gift (Currently free on Amazon Prime)

"A married couple, Simon and Robyn, move to LA and run into Gordo, an old acquaintance. Things take a turn when Gordo begins to drop in unannounced at their house and inundates them with mysterious gifts".

Directorial debut for Joel Edgerton, who also wrote the twisty-turny screenplay and plays the Gordo character.

Really enjoyed this & how it plays with familiar thriller/horror tropes to keep you on your toes and build tension. First time I've seen Jason Bateman in a serious role (the husband) & he's really good in this.

Made in 2015 but it rang a few bells with me regarding a certain US politician. No more clues.

Really good. 9/10.

Edited by Van Wolfie

Halloween (2018) - hate 'horror' films but this was so bad it was good. Enjoyable and silly. Theo Robinson.

Fear (1996)- Extremely young Mark Wahlberg and Reese Witherspoon are the stalker and stalkee in this slasher/thriller. Starts off slowly but at least is rooted somewhat in reality and the basic premise of "a father's worst nightmare" is set up well, but then about half way through it changes pace and becomes incredibly stupid. The denouement of the end fight scene has the most over-dramatic death/fall since Platoon which I actually LOL'd at. Strange story/writing choices and odd direction from James Foley (who makes it feel like an hour and a half TV special for a series that was never made) combine to make this a Gary Teale. The acting is overall OK, despite Wahlberg's irritatingly quiet voice.

The Bodyguard was on the tellybox just now. I'd forgotten what a magnificent piece of filmmaking it is. Kevin Costner at the height of his powers. Whitney is everything. I feel I didn't appreciate her when she was alive. And watching it always reminds me that I was upgraded into a top-floor suite at Miami's Fontainebleu Hilton one time when they screwed up my room booking.

9/10!!

Parasite : got to admit, i had misconceptions about this film prior to watching it. For some reason, maybe the title, I thought this was horror based, but no. I absolutely loved it, found it exciting and funny in some places. Well worth a watch. 

Chris Martin/10

19 minutes ago, ramit said:

Tampopo (Dandelion)  A Japanese film about one woman's quest, with the help of dedicated assistants to make the perfect noodles.  A wonderfully quirky, bizarre and funny film that could only have come out of Japan

Top marks 10/10

Sounds terrible on paper I'm afraid ...are you a film critic?? 

29 minutes ago, ramit said:

Tampopo (Dandelion)  A Japanese film about one woman's quest, with the help of dedicated assistants to make the perfect noodles.  A wonderfully quirky, bizarre and funny film that could only have come out of Japan

Top marks 10/10

how long was it on? I mean making perfect noodles consists of removing foil lid, filling with hot water to the line, leave for 2minutes,  add sachet,  eat.

maybe 4 minutes tops ? 10 if you include eating them.

3 minutes ago, ramit said:

In a bowl, a bowl, never on paper.

Nah, just a film buff with a taste for the unusual

Yeh....Your top 11 films are they likewise obscure and unusual...how many are subtitled and largely unknown? 

Always happy to try something different but just plain arty and highbrow I will swerve. 

35 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

how long was it on? I mean making perfect noodles consists of removing foil lid, filling with hot water to the line, leave for 2minutes,  add sachet,  eat.

maybe 4 minutes tops ? 10 if you include eating them.

Hope you’re talking about Green Curry Bang Bang noodles. 

12 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Yeh....Your top 11 films are they likewise obscure and unusual...how many are subtitled and largely unknown? 

Always happy to try something different but just plain arty and highbrow I will swerve. 

Quite a few i suppose, but my favorites change with the wind and my current mood. 

Give it a try, you might enjoy it and be hungry for a bowl of ramen after, or during.

The quality is pretty bad, but a restored version is available somewhere it is said.

Not allowed to be embedded, but this is it.  Yes, there are subtitles.  Would you prefer it without?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6pSCTfOFdA&t=3923s

i found this little gem by listening to Edward Norton talking about his 5 most loved films.  He's weird too apparently.

Edited by ramit

5 minutes ago, ramit said:

Quite a few i suppose, but my favorites change with the wind and my current mood. 

Give it a try, you might enjoy it and be hungry for a bowl of ramen after, or during.

The quality is pretty bad, but a restored version is available somewhere it is said.

Not allowed to be embedded, but this is it.  Yes, there are subtitles.  Would you prefer it without?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6pSCTfOFdA&t=3923s

i found this little gem by listening to Edward Norton talking about his 5 most loved films.  He's weird too apparently.

I'm good with subtitles, and Ed Norton is one of my favourite actors. Thanks 

On 08/11/2020 at 18:08, mozza said:

'Doctor Sleep', if you liked the 'Shining' you need to watch this. Solid 8/10? 

I actually prefer the TV mini-series of The Shining to the film. Kubrick's direction and visuals for the film are wonderful and iconic but I couldn't say I actually found it that scary.

The TV version is much more faithful to the book and better for it IM(and Stephen King's)O

Haven't seen Doctor Sleep yet but recorded it the other day, so look forward to seeing it this weekend. Thanks

Jojo Rabbit.

A young boy grows up idolising Hitler, to the extent Adolf is his imaginary friend, only to discover a Jewish girl is hiding in his house.

Almost impossible to describe, in some ways it's a slapstick comedy set during WWII, yet at times the humour is more subtle and dark. 

In other places its moving and stark.

It should be a mess, yet somehow it's not. In fact, I'd say it's one of the very best films I've seen lately.

Brilliantly written, directed and performed.

Jim Smith/10