Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

Die Hard 2: Die Harder. Watch Die Hard every Christmas, so thought I would give the sequel a go. Hadn’t seen it in so long, and it was on Prime.

It’s not as good as good as the first one - there’s less threat as McClain moves around the world with more skill, villain is less likeable/despicable, action is bigger but maybe not better. It’s a good action film, but doesn’t hit high expectations set by first.

Gilles Sunu/10

On 02/11/2020 at 10:19, maxjam said:

Richard Jewell

The true story of the Security Guard who found the bomb at the Atlanta Olympics saving many lives.  Considered a hero at first, then became the FBIs prime suspect in the bombing.

On Sky atm, good watch, 7/10.

I'm no film buff, but I'm now scouring these pages for inspiration.  You are my first victim... and you have passed the test!

Watched this last night, purely from your post, as I'd never heard of it, and I do like a true story to be fair.  It helps me "care about the film!"  (I get bored easily, and struggle to watch a whole film!)
I ended up with the impression that it was "Very good".

Obviously have feint memories of the bombing itself, but wasn't aware of the news behind it, or this guys story. 

The main character has his imperfections for sure, and he can leave you feeling frustrated at times, but he has a bloody good heart, a nice smile, and will never... ever... let you down. 
Once a hero, always a hero, in my book.

... so I rate it a very definite Inigo Idiakez/10!  

On 19/11/2020 at 19:38, Rev said:

Jojo Rabbit.

A young boy grows up idolising Hitler, to the extent Adolf is his imaginary friend, only to discover a Jewish girl is hiding in his house.

Almost impossible to describe, in some ways it's a slapstick comedy set during WWII, yet at times the humour is more subtle and dark. 

In other places its moving and stark.

It should be a mess, yet somehow it's not. In fact, I'd say it's one of the very best films I've seen lately.

Brilliantly written, directed and performed.

Jim Smith/10

Gave this a try on Sunday, following 2 x recommendations from family members (Before I'd seen your post above).

We lasted 7 mins (would have been 4 mins if it wasn't for the recommendations).  All mayhem and screaming!  I had flashbacks to Home Alone, and I just had to get the hell out of there, before I started to drown on my own vomit!

A clear Mick Coop/10, but with a big chunk of Scott Malone's running style thrown in.

*But now following a third recommendation (above), I do wonder whether it's just me?  Am I missing something?  Should I give it another go?  15mins next time?  20 maybe?  Hmmm... Really not sure I should!  

On 14/12/2020 at 02:03, r4derby said:

Die Hard 2: Die Harder. Watch Die Hard every Christmas, so thought I would give the sequel a go. Hadn’t seen it in so long, and it was on Prime.

It’s not as good as good as the first one - there’s less threat as McClain moves around the world with more skill, villain is less likeable/despicable, action is bigger but maybe not better. It’s a good action film, but doesn’t hit high expectations set by first.

Gilles Sunu/10

I controversially prefer Die Hard 2....the twist gets me every time!

Funnily enough the last film I watched was last night, I watched Airplane....still one of the funniest movies ever, even now.

8 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Gave this a try on Sunday, following 2 x recommendations from family members (Before I'd seen your post above).

We lasted 7 mins (would have been 4 mins if it wasn't for the recommendations).  All mayhem and screaming!  I had flashbacks to Home Alone, and I just had to get the hell out of there, before I started to drown on my own vomit!

A clear Mick Coop/10, but with a big chunk of Scott Malone's running style thrown in.

*But now following a third recommendation (above), I do wonder whether it's just me?  Am I missing something?  Should I give it another go?  15mins next time?  20 maybe?  Hmmm... Really not sure I should!  

Watched it on a flight to NZ.  So I stuck with it, sad funny enjoyable sort of .  Hard to recommend it really because it’s personal taste and ultimately it is a sad film although that will not be apparent to you because of the short view time.  I suppose you need to commit to the whole film

On 28/08/2020 at 06:58, Anag Ram said:

Joker

Terrific performance from Joachin Phoenix.

I’m not a big fan of the superhero movies but found this to be quite compelling.

A dark tale of a man with many issues to overcome, not least the way he is treated by his fellow man.

Watching the pot boil is excruciating at times but Phoenix’s performance keeps you on the hook.

I’d say a solid 8/10.

If I was anywhere near capable, I'd like to think I could have written that... word for word! 

Watched it last night, and couldn't agree more.  It's "not our thing" usually, and we only watched it because we thought we should finally watch a film that wasn't more than 10 years old!  ? 

A very enjoyable watch, in an uncomfortable kind of way!  

Kinkladze/10

The Matrix 

I remember thinking it was great in its day but not quite as amazing as all the hype. Matrix 2 I recall was just a bit underwhelming and 3 was one of the most annoying and confusing films ever. 

Really really greatly impressed 20 years on. Just a much better film all-round than I expected. I think originally it was all about the twist but its actually a great well-paced film. 9/10

It was so good, I started on Matrix 2 but after half 30mins of not a lot happening and clunky dialogue I switched off. 

Pretty good war film, interesting story and famed for being filmed to look like its one long shot (its not, there are several obvious cuts).  Watched it on my PC via Amazon Prime with some 3d surround sound haptic headphones on - there is one bit in particular near(ish) the beginning of the film that really immersed you into the action.  Overall the cinematography and sound were excellent, story was fairly straight forwards.

Solid 7/10 maybe 8/10+ if war movies are your thing ?

9 hours ago, maxjam said:

Pretty good war film, interesting story and famed for being filmed to look like its one long shot (its not, there are several obvious cuts).  Watched it on my PC via Amazon Prime with some 3d surround sound haptic headphones on - there is one bit in particular near(ish) the beginning of the film that really immersed you into the action.  Overall the cinematography and sound were excellent, story was fairly straight forwards.

Solid 7/10 maybe 8/10+ if war movies are your thing ?

I'm massively into films, war films especially and British war films in particular so saved this till Christmas Day.

I was really looking forward to it but was massively underwhelmed. Its not a bad film, the cinematography was excellent and some individual scenes were good but the plot had holes in it and whole premise nonsensical.

There was no chemistry between the 2 lead actors with the shorter one of the 2 giving a very poor performance. 

Maybe because I'm an historian, unrealistic passages annoy me more, I had 3 or 4 major issues with the Dunkirk film, but a couple of things made me laugh out loud they were so bad.

So, only average after expecting so much more.

Carbone/10

Edited by sage

1 hour ago, sage said:

I'm massively into films, war films especially and British war films in particular so saved this till Christmas Day.

I was really looking forward to it but was massively underwhelmed. Its not a bad film, the cinematography was excellent and some individual scenes were good but the plot had holes in it and whole premise nonsensical.

There was no chemistry between the 2 lead actors with the shorter one of the 2 giving a very poor performance. 

Maybe because I'm an historian, unrealistic passages annoy me more, I had 3 or 4 major issues with the Dunkirk film, but a couple of things made me laugh out loud they were so bad.

Carbone/10

Which film are you on about? 1917 or Dunkirk? ??‍♂️ 

Joker.

Hard to say with one watch. 

Well acted, beautifully shot, but even at only 2hrs long felt like it outstayed it's welcome.

Maybe if you've never seen such a film before, it's groundbreaking, but for me it was like listening to Fontaine's DC, it has merit but it's nothing you haven't heard before, if you're a certain age.

Baird/10.

10 hours ago, sage said:

Carbone/10

Triumph of style over substance, if any kind of triumph at all. The obsession with shooting the thing to appear as if it was a single take was ridiculous. Hitchcock used long single takes for a reason, not out of vanity.