Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I agree, but this was said all the other times he 'left' us.

He's shown this season he's still got it. I do wonder which other clubs might appreciate him as much as Cocu does. Only Fulham really got him, where next I wonder, Scotland? 

Back to Norwich?

Waghorn, Marriott and Trialist is enough for me at CF. You can rely on Waghorn to be available for 40+ games a season. Marriott less so but can be lethal if he stays clear of his injury troubles which is hopefully the case after his surgery. 35 games would be a fair return from him. In those games where one isn't available, that when you'd expect the cheap 3rd choice CF to come in (Trialist). I think the balance is about right with those 3. Trialist is the only iffy one, but we can revisit that situation in the winter window if required.

However, over the past 2 season's we've been reliant on Waghorn filling in on the wing. This would leave too much of a burden on Marriott and Trialist at CF. Even if we sign a winger, we'll still be a bit weak there - Lawrence, *winger*, Whittaker and Knight as the options if Waghorn's required at CF.

I think it'll come down to which players we can get in. CB and RW are critical signings. I would only get a CF if the budget allows us to also get those two critical players. Getting a GK in comes next in line.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Waghorn, Marriott and Trialist is enough for me at CF. You can rely on Waghorn to be available for 40+ games a season. Marriott less so but can be lethal if he stays clear of his injury troubles which is hopefully the case after his surgery. 35 games would be a fair return from him. In those games where one isn't available, that when you'd expect the cheap 3rd choice CF to come in (Trialist). I think the balance is about right with those 3. Trialist is the only iffy one, but we can revisit that situation in the winter window if required.

However, over the past 2 season's we've been reliant on Waghorn filling in on the wing. This would leave too much of a burden on Marriott and Trialist at CF. Even if we sign a winger, we'll still be a bit weak there - Lawrence, *winger*, Whittaker and Knight as the options if Waghorn's required at CF.

I think it'll come down to which players we can get in. CB and RW are critical signings. I would only get a CF if the budget allows us to also get those two critical players. Getting a GK in comes next in line.

I’d be worried if that was our options going into the season. 

Waghorn can’t finish his dinner and isn’t a particularly good striker. Marriott can’t stay fit and JHI has had a sub appearance. 

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Waghorn, Marriott and Trialist is enough for me at CF.

So you're relying on an average striker, somebody who's never fit and scored 2 Championship goals this season, and somebody who's only ever played off the bench a singular time? I understand having faith in youth, but that's crazy talk.

11 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I think the balance should have been "how much would he cost to replace?" though

Marriott has cost us (I think) around £3m so far plus wages and contributed less than Martin (that goal aside) - Waggers is providing about the same number of goals and cost us minimum £6m - So we're looking at somewhere in that ballpark to replace him

£5m is £48k per week for 2 years - So, for me, if we could have got Martin for £20k a week it would seem like a no-brainer but ?‍♂️

I really couldn't care less if he's a fan or how much he cares for the club - He obviously cares about his career and therefore wants to seem to be the best striker he can be - That means getting games and goals which has been positive for us 

I'm not convinced that's true - He's never had pace and never relied on that - I think he'd provide the same quality for the next couple of years at least

Nugent gave us a good couple of seasons - He was never a prolific goalscorer even at his peak and whilst I didn't think he was overly quick he showed the same positive parts of his game for us than he had for pretty much every other club

A lot of good sense in that post but I reckon football finances are going to have to re boot especially in the championship. Consider how much income comes from season tickets .. 10 million normally ?  .. this year, effectively zero .. so where exactly is that 20k per week going to come from ? That 10 million probably represents somewhere between 30% and 50% of the clubs entire income. I strongly suspect more academy players, and lower salaries for renewed contracts. 

4 minutes ago, Srg said:

He'd be better in Europe as he's not a target man despite his physique. Don't think that's where he'll go though. Not sure who exactly is going to tick the boxes as far as money, contract length and playing time for him.

Location will be a factor. He's probably settled in the area by now so won't want to move too far away. I can't see him dropping down a division or earning a move to the Prem. That leaves just a few options:

• Barnsley
  • Birmingham
  • Forest
  • Stoke
  • Wednesday

Doesn't fit the profile of signing for Barnsley, and I can't see him wanting to go to Forest (although it didn't stop Ward at a similar stage of his career). Birmingham would be my bet.

If someone uses him properly he can get goals and assists at this level.

Hope we don't live to regret it but I guess we either we wanted him to take a huge pay cut or he wanted first team guarantees.

Interesting to see where he goes, could equally be a team chasing play offs or one that only just stayed up.

A great pro in his time with us, never complained and just got on with it, so wish him all the best. 

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Location will be a factor. He's probably settled in the area by now so won't want to move too far away. I can't see him dropping down a division or earning a move to the Prem. That leaves just a few options:

• Barnsley
  • Birmingham
  • Forest
  • Stoke
  • Wednesday

Doesn't fit the profile of signing for Barnsley, and I can't see him wanting to go to Forest (although it didn't stop Ward at a similar stage of his career). Birmingham would be my bet.

Coventry have just been promoted and will be looking at strikers used to playing at this level. Could be another one for him.

I can still see him being with us next season. 

I suspect the club have told him that they'd love to keep him, but at a price. Also that he can see if he can get what he wants elsewhere, but if he changes his mind before we've moved on to someone else, then the contract is there. 

That should keep all parties happy. 

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

So you're relying on an average striker, somebody who's never fit and scored 2 Championship goals this season, and somebody who's only ever played off the bench a singular time? I understand having faith in youth, but that's crazy talk.

We survived with less in Lampard’s season, if we are counting JHI. Not necessarily saying we would again, but Marriotts fitness was fine then and Waggy had an excellent season under him as well

1 minute ago, nottingram said:

We survived with less in Lampard’s season, if we are counting JHI. Not necessarily saying we would again, but Marriotts fitness was fine then and Waggy had an excellent season under him as well

That season had Mount and Wilson supplementing the attack. We need a proper striker, Martin was our best one and we've just let him go. 

Chris Martin has been battling an illness, yet came back and put on a last good show for us. I can't say that I'm hugely disappointed, despite him being one of my favourite players to ever put on a shirt for this club. He was one large wages, we know that much, we also don't know what he was asking for in terms of deal moving forward. 

I think this is a good time to cut ties and move on. We had him at his absolute best. We saw him sent out on loan against the will of the fans, we saw him struggle out on loan, yet he came back this season and did a fine job. He's coming up to 32 in November. He will be fondly remembered, but we need to be looking to add progressive players to our team - in all capacities. Martin is on the downward trajectory of his career.  

2 minutes ago, ram59 said:

I can still see him being with us next season. 

I suspect the club have told him that they'd love to keep him, but at a price. Also that he can see if he can get what he wants elsewhere, but if he changes his mind before we've moved on to someone else, then the contract is there. 

That should keep all parties happy. 

We can’t afford to wait until (and it’s a big IF), Martin comes back to us late in the transfer window, or even after the window shuts, saying “I’m still a free agent can I please come back?”

4 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Sit down and put on a cup of tea, I sense another summer saga is about to start!

Lol. Not this time I think. Unless you mean the Toon and the Saudi's? I understand Ashley is still open to dealing with them! ?

Archived