Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Letting CM19 go is a mistake. That’s not based on sentiment because “I like him”. We should have kept him. He’s proven. It goes down in the great big book of Derby County mistakes which comprises, Inter Alia

1. signing Anya and giving him a fat contract

2. Signing Nick Blackman

3. Not selecting Bryson at Wembley v QPR

4. Hiring Nigel Pearson

5. Hiring Phil Brown

6. Hiring Tommy Docherty

7. Accepting Clough & Taylor’s resignation

8. Not checking Esteban Fuertes’s passport

9. . . .  selling Will Hughes for 8 shillings and sixpence

10. Not starting Marriott v Villa @ Wembley

?

Letting Paul Goddard go has to be on that list.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well,it seemed to be heading this way.......all Martin wants to do is play football and I’m sure have stability.

He clearly loves Derby and was perhaps hoping for a two year deal to see out his career but it’s not to be.

To me,Martin represented our best football in twenty years,slick intelligent play that we will miss over the next season and possibly beyond.

so the end of an era and other than fozzy,that’s the end of the squad that was so good in 2013/14 and which brought me back into the Derby fold after years of ho hum football.

Hopefully,Cocu will be looking to bring another striker into the club in Martins image as he clearly wants that sort of striker in the team and Waghorn,whilst pretty good,just doesn’t cut it and I doubt Marriott  will get much airtime this year either.

All the best Chrissie Martin,Derby’s number 9

4A07E03A-CAD8-48CD-9AFC-5F7FE27FF1CC.jpeg

1 minute ago, angieram said:

Too soon!

Nah, if he's gone he's gone. Don't want to keep seeing it tbh. Meh, all part of being a Derby fan.

I can't believe we've chosen to play hardball over Martin when we gave Fozzie a two year deal. 

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Nah, if he's gone he's gone. Don't want to keep seeing it tbh. Meh, all part of being a Derby fan.

I can't believe we've chosen to play hardball over Martin when we gave Fozzie a two year deal. 

Forsyth plays in two positions if needed and costs a lot less clearly 

We aren't letting Chris Martin go. 

We've offered him a new deal based on what we can afford. He was never ever going to be on the same money again and I highly doubt he would get the same money from anywhere else. He's gonna have to take a paycut wherever he goes.

It wasn't about money anyway. It was about length of contract. 

Also I have a family friend that knows Chris Martin's wife pretty well. 

And trust me when I say this. Chris Martin isn't bothered about Derby. He has no loyalties to us at all. He fully expected to be gone this season. But for some reason he came back. 

We shouldn't still be relying on him after 6 years. 

Thank you for the memories but it's time to move on. 

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Maybe rather it's that Fozzy accepted the deal on the table, Chris didn't. 

I get the feeling from Fozzy's interview that he would have accepted almost anything after the way we've looked after him through his injuries.

1 minute ago, angieram said:

This news is going to make some of the other transfer wish lists on here redundant.

It will take very big money to replace our centre forward with someone anywhere near as effective.

I was hoping you were going to lift one of your maternal wings Angie and we would find a clutch of exciting under 21 year old centre forwards being nurtured under there.......?

But I agree - a once a month appearance from Jack Marriott and copious huffing&puffing from Waggy is not likely to have many championship defences quivering with fear.... 

1 minute ago, David said:

Kept him no matter what the cost is? 

Surely you have to draw the line somewhere and say that’s all we can do. Otherwise you have another 4 years at 35k (Extreme numbers to make the point).

Doesn’t sound like he was made one take it or leave it offer, Cocu also spoke publicly over his desire to keep him. 

You make a good point @Davidand I don’t know the details of our Salary structure. But have a better cost-benefit analysis. The cost of an unproven replacement will be very high if we even find somebody to match. Include in the analysis the fact we got him on a free. . . Sometimes you have to INVEST WISELY  not have a blanket one structure for all. I’m very disappointed. . . I buy a season ticket to watch quality footballers in a Derby County Shirt and we’ve just binned one and there aren’t an abundance of them at the moment. 

Just now, angieram said:

Maybe rather it's that Fozzy accepted the deal on the table, Chris didn't. 

I get the feeling from Fozzy's interview that he would have accepted almost anything after the way we've looked after him through his injuries.

Yes, I get the feeling Fozzy counts himself lucky to have any deal with his injury record. I still think (but obvs don't know) that it was the length of the deal on offer - it's quite clear that Martin values stability (I wouldn't be surprised if the stress of not being settled makes his colitis worse).

4 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

We aren't letting Chris Martin go. 

We've offered him a new deal based on what we can afford. He was never ever going to be on the same money again and I highly doubt he would get the same money from anywhere else. He's gonna have to take a paycut wherever he goes.

It wasn't about money anyway. It was about length of contract. 

Also I have a family friend that knows Chris Martin's wife pretty well. 

And trust me when I say this. Chris Martin isn't bothered about Derby. He has no loyalties to us at all. He fully expected to be gone this season. But for some reason he came back. 

We shouldn't still be relying on him after 6 years. 

Thank you for the memories but it's time to move on. 

Mackworth Ram is back. The OG ITK. 

I’m one of his biggest fans but I think another season might see a sad decline.

He already runs from the knees down with his arse three seconds behind. I think it’s best he goes whilst there’s still debate.

He will be remembered fondly and we won’t find someone with his short passing skills. However, it is time to try something new and we will need more pace to keep up with the young ‘uns.

If we can easily afford Kieffer Moore then he’s an option off the bench, but our first choice striker should have pace and energy.

2 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I was hoping you were going to lift one of your maternal wings Angie and we would find a clutch of exciting under 21 year old centre forwards being nurtured under there.......?

But I agree - a once a month appearance from Jack Marriott and copious huffing&puffing from Waggy is not likely to have many championship defences quivering with fear.... 

I have high hopes for Hector-Ingram (even the name suggests a Derby legend) but I wanted him to have another season learning from Martin. Now he's going to be picking up Waggy's dark arts of ball control! 

I assume it comes down to a simple difference between what CM wanted (and/or for how long) and what the club were prepared to offer.

Whether or not his demands were reasonable will be seen by whether or not another club is prepared to meet them. If they were not, he may come back to the table with reduced/more realistic expectations.

At this point, we just don't know, but it is not uncommon for footballers in the later stages of their careers to have inflated ideas about their own worth.

Archived