Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 minutes ago, David said:

Translation being, sadly Martin’s demands did not fall in line with our wage bill reduction vision going forward.

We thank Martin for his service and wish him luck finding a club that will meet his demands.

However, if he struggles to find a club our offer remains on the table.

The problem with that is, how long does Cocu monitor the situation when it’s clear we will need to bring in a replacement?

Maybe the replacement is lined up already..... they wouldn’t surely just let him go without having plans in place already where they think we can do better than Martin....

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I thought his 2nd coming this season was a real bonus. I thought he'd never pull on the shirt again. Sadly this time I think his time is up. Hopefully I'm proved wrong again. I doubt we'll have to monitor the situation for long as he'll quickly be snapped up. Thanks for the memories Chrissy. Good luck for the future. Onwards and upwards for both parties hopefully. 

5 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Maybe the replacement is lined up already..... they wouldn’t surely just let him go without having plans in place already where they think we can do better than Martin....

They haven’t let him go. His contract has run out and he hasn’t agreed a new one. 

Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

They haven’t let him go. His contract has run out and he hasn’t agreed a new one. 

Bad choice of words on my part

5 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Cocu doesn’t wait to find out. It’s too important a role and only Waggy to play it. So he goes out to find a replacement. 

I hope he doesn’t either. 

I know there will be some emotional people in this thread today, but for the last few years the club has been criticised for paying over the top fees and wages.

Martin may have had reasonable demands, we will never know, but to see the club stand firm over what they believe is fair is a sign of the new direction that has been spoken about with lowering the wage bill. 

Clearly a lot of love out there for Martin and the club could have easily felt pressured into paying more than they were willing fearing of a fan backlash. But they haven’t.

I’m hoping the search starts today for a replacement, as you say it’s an important one especially with question marks over Marriott’s fitness. 

7 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Personally I thought his 2nd coming this season was a real bonus. I thought he'd never pull on the shirt again. Sadly this time I think his time is up. Hopefully I'm proved wrong again. I doubt we'll have to monitor the situation for long as he'll quickly be snapped up. Thanks for the memories Chrissy. Good luck for the future. Onwards and upwards for both parties hopefully. 

This is my sentiment, I really never expected he'd play again for us after the Fulham debacle and loans so it's all been a nice bonus. Best wishes Christopher!

3 minutes ago, David said:

I hope he doesn’t either. 

I know there will be some emotional people in this thread today, but for the last few years the club has been criticised for paying over the top fees and wages.

Martin may have had reasonable demands, we will never know, but to see the club stand firm over what they believe is fair is a sign of the new direction that has been spoken about with lowering the wage bill. 

Clearly a lot of love out there for Martin and the club could have easily felt pressured into paying more than they were willing fearing of a fan backlash. But they haven’t.

I’m hoping the search starts today for a replacement, as you say it’s an important one especially with question marks over Marriott’s fitness. 

I agree, I love Chrissy & hope he signs; & with him, never say never. But the club are doing the right thing in this unpredictable world we’ve found ourselves in 

I wonder if Cocu’s determination to keep him is because he didn’t want to spend limited resources on a replacement when it’s more needed elsewhere? I think at the stage of Martin’s career, we can definitely improve on him, as good as he’s been for us. However I’m not sure what other strikers are available who are out of contract, and would it be worth spending a few million on someone like Kieffer Moore instead?

I hope we can get that position sorted asap because we don’t want to get to a stage where we have too many areas to focus on and run out of time or panic again.

Just because it’s Chris Martin doesn’t mean we should sign a deal that doesn’t suit the club financially.

However, it’s sickening that we’re paying Curtis Davies, Scott Malone and Florian Jozefzoon money to be 3rd or 4th choice at their position that would be so much better spent on bringing back Martin.

Managing a wage bill leads to horrible decisions like this.

"We wish to thank Chris for his seven-year service to the football club and we will endeavour to remain in dialogue with him and his representatives and will always leave the door open for a potential return if he does not find a suitable club.”

Michelle Obama Hope GIF by Obama

Trying to let us down gently?

1 minute ago, angieram said:

"We wish to thank Chris for his seven-year service to the football club and we will endeavour to remain in dialogue with him and his representatives and will always leave the door open for a potential return if he does not find a suitable club.”

Michelle Obama Hope GIF by Obama

Trying to let us down gently?

Difficult to say - I guess until Chrissy signs with a club we won't know. What we do know is that unlike some he wants to play football.

Archived