Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I'm going to be controversial (and no doubt get slated for it), but I'm not bothered that he's going - in fact I'm almost pleased. Now I'll temper that by saying he's very good at what he does - and when he was part of that Mac team, he was brilliant for us - but those dayys have gone....

I just struggle to see how we build a team playing the way that Cocu seems to want to play with Martin up front. His lack of mobility means he's a passenger for long parts of games when we're under pressure and the very fact he's on the pitch tends to dictate how we set up. I appreciate that it's not his fault he finds himself isolated in a lot of games due to the lack of other players getting up to support him, but that's actually the point. Without the support of others, he offers little to the team unless we manage to get a corner or freekick where he can get amongst the defenders - he's never going to get on the end of a clearance, turn a defender and score; he's not going to to burst from the halfway line and thunder a shot from the edge of the box - simply not his game - and yet we're increasingly playing a possession based game which relies on quick breaks - that demands a quick and mobile striker which Martin has never been....

Thanks for the good times Chris, but best for both sides if you find somewhere else and we go with a different type of striker that better suits our side....

You my friend have just nailed it. ?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Benrahma was playing for Angers in 2016. We chose to buy Camara 

Replacing Martin will be a doddle then!

I did ask in the Mike te Weriek thread who scouted him, was thinking we might have some new ideas?

20 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I'm going to be controversial (and no doubt get slated for it), but I'm not bothered that he's going - in fact I'm almost pleased. Now I'll temper that by saying he's very good at what he does - and when he was part of that Mac team, he was brilliant for us - but those dayys have gone....

I just struggle to see how we build a team playing the way that Cocu seems to want to play with Martin up front. His lack of mobility means he's a passenger for long parts of games when we're under pressure and the very fact he's on the pitch tends to dictate how we set up. I appreciate that it's not his fault he finds himself isolated in a lot of games due to the lack of other players getting up to support him, but that's actually the point. Without the support of others, he offers little to the team unless we manage to get a corner or freekick where he can get amongst the defenders - he's never going to get on the end of a clearance, turn a defender and score; he's not going to to burst from the halfway line and thunder a shot from the edge of the box - simply not his game - and yet we're increasingly playing a possession based game which relies on quick breaks - that demands a quick and mobile striker which Martin has never been....

Thanks for the good times Chris, but best for both sides if you find somewhere else and we go with a different type of striker that better suits our side....

The only thing I’d add is that Martin would have filled a gap whilst we rebuilt other areas of the squad when resources are already tight.

24 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I just struggle to see how we build a team playing the way that Cocu seems to want to play with Martin up front.

Oddly though - Cocu thought Martin could play the kind of football Cocu wants to play... ?‍♂️

13 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We looked at Watkins. Who were the other two? How much did they cost?

Benrahma bargain 2.7m

Mbeumo not so much of a bargain  5.4m

Add in Olie Watkins for 1.8m   alright you are looking at 10m total but still pretty good considering what tosh we have spent money on

8 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Oddly though - Cocu thought Martin could play the kind of football Cocu wants to play... ?‍♂️

Maybe he saw Martin next season in a Curtis Davies type of role. Coming on if we are struggling and needing a change of approach? This season PC didn't have many options up front with Jack carrying an injury most of the season.

12 minutes ago, ramit said:

If it's true that Martin is welcome back if he cannot find a better deal elsewhere, it's understandable that he would try that first

What I don't get is both parties have realistically had since at least January to do a deal or get a new deal, which would make one think they weren't poles apart, else why keep talking? And since then we've had a Covid-19 'bomb' hit footballs finances. Dunno really who's fooling who, Cocu wants Martin (within reason) and I can't think that Martin really believes he'll get pre-Covid-19 wages. Meh.

58 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

That got me more than it had any right to.

Every single one of them gambled on getting this club promoted.

Russell didn’t go to Bournemouth

Keogh and Bryson didn’t go to Burnley and commited long term.

Thorne left Premiership West Brom.

Martin commited his peak years to Derby whilst still at Fulham. 

It hasn’t paid off for anyone, we’ve gone over it so many times but it’s near scandalous that we couldn’t manage it. 

i just watch that video and think what a dickwad the bug eyed captain was....and no wonder we didnt get promoted...

6 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

i just watch that video and think what a dickwad the bug eyed captain was....and no wonder we didnt get promoted...

This yours? Found it next to a bag of humbugs that had ‘For Muespach ONLY’ written on them 

95825DE1-4219-4AC3-8885-35C460F2DA7E.jpeg

5 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Letting CM19 go is a mistake. That’s not based on sentiment because “I like him”. We should have kept him. He’s proven. It goes down in the great big book of Derby County mistakes which comprises, Inter Alia

1. signing Anya and giving him a fat contract

2. Signing Nick Blackman

3. Not selecting Bryson at Wembley v QPR

4. Hiring Nigel Pearson

5. Hiring Phil Brown

6. Hiring Tommy Docherty

7. Accepting Clough & Taylor’s resignation

8. Not checking Esteban Fuertes’s passport

9. . . .  selling Will Hughes for 8 shillings and sixpence

10. Not starting Marriott v Villa @ Wembley

?

Swapping Gemmill for Middleton?

Selling Sir Bobby to Leeds.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The only thing I’d add is that Martin would have filled a gap whilst we rebuilt other areas of the squad when resources are already tight.

But (admittedly guesswork) he seemed to want a longer contract or more money (or both) than we wanted to give him. Seems we offered him a 'stopgap' contract but he rejected it - no point in paying over the odds or being stuck with (what would become) a bit-part player for years just to cover a short-term issue (that we can potentially fix via a loan)....

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

Martin providing no platform for them to get up the pitch. Not working the defenders, not stretching the play, stood around looking irritated, before throwing himself on the ground and not getting free kicks? 

Maybe... ?

Commons, Bueno and Cywka playing off Kuqi > literally me up front > Commons, Bueno and Cywka with Luke Moore running 

2 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I am in two minds. Think he is talented and been a great servant to the club. But on the other hand I think we could do with more pace and mobility up top. Good luck to him ?

Absolutely but we also need variety which Martin did give us but if he had stayed I was expecting a rotating role with others dependant on the opposition 

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

Balanced, sensible and spot on! 

4 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

Balanced, sensible and spot on! 

4 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

I just struggle to see how we build a team playing the way that Cocu seems to want to play with Martin up front.

What is balanced about that statement? Why did Cocu want him to stay then?

2 hours ago, Gaspode said:

You’ve literally seen Martin score the bulk of his Derby goals in a possession based team, a team that would camp in the opposition half and score team goals seemingly at will but also had the ability to quickly transition and tear teams to shreds on the break 

2 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Sibley,I can go with,he's only going to get better but Rooney definitely on quite a severe decline and I can't see him matching this year's quota other than for penalties and the odd free kuck.

The bloke was asked to control games especially 9 games in three weeks - he will be fine next season 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Benrahma was playing for Angers in 2016. We chose to buy Camara 

And Lampard watched Brentford play a lot and signed jafoozon For what £3 million 

Archived