Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 21/07/2020 at 11:04, RoyMac5 said:

I'm convinced of that too. But I'm yet to be convinced he'll stay fit.

Me too Roy of course, yet I am convinced it’s the groin injury that was mentioned when he didn’t do much preseason work long before Cocu.

Can you imagine if you’ve got one of those niggling tweaks ? It’s the sort of thing that stops you training hard and takes that extra 5% offf every performance when you do actually play. He’s had surgery now .. so I guess we will all know whether it worked in 6-8 weeks time. I honestly don’t think we have ever seen a fully fit Jack, so if this has cured it, we might be in for some real fun. 

9 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

And trust me when I say this. Chris Martin isn't bothered about Derby. He has no loyalties to us at all. He fully expected to be gone this season. But for some reason he came back. 

I wouldn't be surprised to learn Bird isn't a Rams fan! Rooney I understand supports Everton? 

He came back because he was our player!

Martin has NEVER given DCFC less than 100% when he pulls on the shirt, who cares whether he's really a Rams fan? Although I understood that his little girl is from previous comments.

1 minute ago, jono said:

Me too Roy of course, yet I am convinced it’s the groin injury that was mentioned when he didn’t do much preseason work long before Cocu.

Can you imagine if you’ve got one of those niggling tweaks ? It’s the sort of thing that stops you training hard and takes that extra 5% offf every performance when you do actually play. He’s had surgery now .. so I guess we will all know whether it worked in 6-8 weeks time. I honestly don’t think we have ever seen a fully fit Jack, so if this has cured it, we might be in for some real fun. 

Yes; we need something positive at this dark hour. A fully fit Marriott alongside a feeder and hey presto! 20 goals. 

Disappointing news, but I’ve been expecting it for a while. It’s been clear since the start that the two parties were a long way apart in contract negotiations, and that’s why it’s dragged out this long. This news shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone.

Still, it’s a very sad day for the club. Chris Martin is a modern day legend of Derby, for all his years of service and for all the goals he’s scored over those years. He will certainly be remembered for a long time. Personally, I still think getting him to sign a new contract would have been really important going into next season. While I think we need better as first choice now, I think he remains a good player at this level who would still have had a lot to offer as a “super-sub”. It’s very disappointing to see a player of his quality leave the club for free.

Most importantly, I think this news emphasises further what we already knew - signing a new striker is vital this window.

12 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Well,it seemed to be heading this way.......all Martin wants to do is play football and I’m sure have stability.

He clearly loves Derby and was perhaps hoping for a two year deal to see out his career but it’s not to be.

To me,Martin represented our best football in twenty years,slick intelligent play that we will miss over the next season and possibly beyond.

so the end of an era and other than fozzy,that’s the end of the squad that was so good in 2013/14 and which brought me back into the Derby fold after years of ho hum football.

Hopefully,Cocu will be looking to bring another striker into the club in Martins image as he clearly wants that sort of striker in the team and Waghorn,whilst pretty good,just doesn’t cut it and I doubt Marriott  will get much airtime this year either.

All the best Chrissie Martin,Derby’s number 9

4A07E03A-CAD8-48CD-9AFC-5F7FE27FF1CC.jpeg

I have a sneaky feeling that there will be an epilogue to the story. This is clearly about money and length of contract. In normal times there would be half a dozen clubs who’d give him a go at what he is asking for, but with no crowds, no one spending money, he might not be in demand. The club statement said everything was amicable and the door was still open. So....

You can almost see the conversation between 2 parties that broadly get on ... I need 2 years at my age (fair enough) and the club saying we just can’t risk more than one in the current climate (also fair enough) but see what you can get elsewhere, we won’t fall out, the offer remains on the table unless we get fixed up in the meantime and they all shake hands over a bottle of vintage Claret. 

well that’s what I’d like to think, in my Corinthian way where all chaps are good sports what ho ?

28 minutes ago, angieram said:

This news is going to make some of the other transfer wish lists on here redundant.

It will take very big money to replace our centre forward with someone anywhere near as effective.

Lamp posts arent that dear. About the same movement too.

25 minutes ago, David said:

Kept him no matter what the cost is? 

I think the balance should have been "how much would he cost to replace?" though

Marriott has cost us (I think) around £3m so far plus wages and contributed less than Martin (that goal aside) - Waggers is providing about the same number of goals and cost us minimum £6m - So we're looking at somewhere in that ballpark to replace him

£5m is £48k per week for 2 years - So, for me, if we could have got Martin for £20k a week it would seem like a no-brainer but ?‍♂️

18 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Also I have a family friend that knows Chris Martin's wife pretty well. 

And trust me when I say this. Chris Martin isn't bothered about Derby. He has no loyalties to us at all. He fully expected to be gone this season. But for some reason he came back. 

We shouldn't still be relying on him after 6 years. 

I really couldn't care less if he's a fan or how much he cares for the club - He obviously cares about his career and therefore wants to seem to be the best striker he can be - That means getting games and goals which has been positive for us 

13 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I’m one of his biggest fans but I think another season might see a sad decline.

He already runs from the knees down with his arse three seconds behind. I think it’s best he goes whilst there’s still debate.

I'm not convinced that's true - He's never had pace and never relied on that - I think he'd provide the same quality for the next couple of years at least

Nugent gave us a good couple of seasons - He was never a prolific goalscorer even at his peak and whilst I didn't think he was overly quick he showed the same positive parts of his game for us than he had for pretty much every other club

Just now, cheron85 said:

I think the balance should have been "how much would he cost to replace?" though

Marriott has cost us (I think) around £3m so far plus wages and contributed less than Martin (that goal aside) - Waggers is providing about the same number of goals and cost us minimum £6m - So we're looking at somewhere in that ballpark to replace him

£5m is £48k per week for 2 years - So, for me, if we could have got Martin for £20k a week it would seem like a no-brainer but ?‍♂️

I really couldn't care less if he's a fan or how much he cares for the club - He obviously cares about his career and therefore wants to seem to be the best striker he can be - That means getting games and goals which has been positive for us 

I'm not convinced that's true - He's never had pace and never relied on that - I think he'd provide the same quality for the next couple of years at least

Nugent gave us a good couple of seasons - He was never a prolific goalscorer even at his peak and whilst I didn't think he was overly quick he showed the same positive parts of his game for us than he had for pretty much every other club

It might cost more upfront to replace him, but if we recruit well we'd sell him on at a profit making the overall deal much better

24 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I’m one of his biggest fans but I think another season might see a sad decline.

He already runs from the knees down with his arse three seconds behind. I think it’s best he goes whilst there’s still debate.

He will be remembered fondly and we won’t find someone with his short passing skills. However, it is time to try something new and we will need more pace to keep up with the young ‘uns.

If we can easily afford Kieffer Moore then he’s an option off the bench, but our first choice striker should have pace and energy.

Exactly, don't want any further cling-on like Bryson proved to be. Best to keep memories in tact and keep up with the times.

13 minutes ago, jono said:

I have a sneaky feeling that there will be an epilogue to the story. This is clearly about money and length of contract. In normal times there would be half a dozen clubs who’d give him a go at what he is asking for, but with no crowds, no one spending money, he might not be in demand. The club statement said everything was amicable and the door was still open. So....

You can almost see the conversation between 2 parties that broadly get on ... I need 2 years at my age (fair enough) and the club saying we just can’t risk more than one in the current climate (also fair enough) but see what you can get elsewhere, we won’t fall out, the offer remains on the table unless we get fixed up in the meantime and they all shake hands over a bottle of vintage Claret. 

well that’s what I’d like to think, in my Corinthian way where all chaps are good sports what ho ?

I thought the wording of the statement was interesting, and this was pretty much my immediate thought as well. Fingers crossed. 

6 minutes ago, Srg said:

Exactly, don't want any further cling-on like Bryson proved to be. Best to keep memories in tact and keep up with the times.

I agree, but this was said all the other times he 'left' us.

He's shown this season he's still got it. I do wonder which other clubs might appreciate him as much as Cocu does. Only Fulham really got him, where next I wonder, Scotland? 

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I agree, but this was said all the other times he 'left' us.

He's shown this season he's still got it. I do wonder which other clubs might appreciate him as much as Cocu does. Only Fulham really got him, where next I wonder, Scotland? 

He'd be better in Europe as he's not a target man despite his physique. Don't think that's where he'll go though. Not sure who exactly is going to tick the boxes as far as money, contract length and playing time for him.

Archived