Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

That season had Mount and Wilson supplementing the attack. We need a proper striker, Martin was our best one and we've just let him go. 

And next season will have Lawrence, Sibley, Knight and Rooney supplementing the attack, at a minimum ??‍♂️.

2018–19 saw four players get double figures in  all competitions - Wilson (18), Mount (11), and Waghorn and Marriott (both 13). No one else got close.

Last season was a much more even spread. Lawrence got 10, Rooney 6, Knight 6 and Sibley 5 in a quarter of a season. Waghorn’s output has remained pretty constant but can’t imagine there’s any way Marriott will be as unlucky / poor again this season. Our midfield will be full of goals, so that isn’t a concern, so it comes back to our strikers. Marriott and Waghorn were enough for a decent campaign under Lampard, and we have Whittaker and JHI added into the mix who could hopefully chip in with a few each as and when required.

Dont think it’s an extreme scenario, a good right sided forward would remain a priority over a CF for me

5 minutes ago, Srg said:

I’d be worried if that was our options going into the season. 

Waghorn can’t finish his dinner and isn’t a particularly good striker. Marriott can’t stay fit and JHI has had a sub appearance. 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

So you're relying on an average striker, somebody who's never fit and scored 2 Championship goals this season, and somebody who's only ever played off the bench a singular time? I understand having faith in youth, but that's crazy talk.

The faith comes down to whether Marriott will stay fit or not. Fully fit he's a 1 in 2 forward and arguably first choice. Waghorn's as good a backup as you can expect at this level. I understand it relies on Marriott staying fit and Trialist stepping up, but we've moved on from making signings 'just in case'. For me, two experienced forwards battling it out for first choice and a young understudy for just 1 position is right.

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The faith comes down to whether Marriott will stay fit or not. Fully fit he's a 1 in 2 forward and arguably first choice. Waghorn's as good a backup as you can expect at this level. I understand it relies on Marriott staying fit and Trialist stepping up, but we've moved on from making signings 'just in case'. For me, two experienced forwards battling it out for first choice and a young understudy for just 1 position is right.

Depends how you're defining ''fully fit'' he had a shocking record this season, and not because he wasn't fit - he got a lot of chances, he just didn't take them. It's not ''just in case'' between that forward line this season in the league we got 14 goals (I know it's not exactly fair on trialist) that's not enough, and we can't just rely on Marriott hitting a double figure goal tally when there is a high chance he'll have another shocking season.

15 minutes ago, nottingram said:

And next season will have Lawrence, Sibley, Knight and Rooney supplementing the attack, at a minimum ??‍♂️.

2018–19 saw four players get double figures in  all competitions - Wilson (18), Mount (11), and Waghorn and Marriott (both 13). No one else got close.

Last season was a much more even spread. Lawrence got 10, Rooney 6, Knight 6 and Sibley 5 in a quarter of a season. Waghorn’s output has remained pretty constant but can’t imagine there’s any way Marriott will be as unlucky / poor again this season. Our midfield will be full of goals, so that isn’t a concern, so it comes back to our strikers. Marriott and Waghorn were enough for a decent campaign under Lampard, and we have Whittaker and JHI added into the mix who could hopefully chip in with a few each as and when required.

Dont think it’s an extreme scenario, a good right sided forward would remain a priority over a CF for me

So the same as this season, subtracting Martin's 19 goal contributions? Who's making up the void? Hoping for JHI to have an astounding year? I think it's extreme. It's a huge amount of goals to make up. We need another striker, for me.

25 minutes ago, Andicis said:

That season had Mount and Wilson supplementing the attack. We need a proper striker, Martin was our best one and we've just let him go. 

Best of a average season of being up front. As much as I loved Martin being here - think his future belongs elsewhere.

Think people are forgetting something here, it’s just not down to Derby for it to suit. It has to suit him as well. Would he be guaranteed to start 30+ games next season here? Will he be used more from the bench? Is he stopping a younger player coming through to break into the first XI?

As I’ve stated, Martin has been brilliant for us - but at 30+ and potentially costing us at least 5 figures a week. Is it much more wiser to maybe try others? We do need to take the blinkers off and look at the bigger picture.

Think we will learn a lot more about what other clubs think about his ability on where he ends up.

So the same as this season, subtracting Martin's 19 goal contributions? Who's making up the void? Hoping for JHI to have an astounding year? I think it's extreme. It's a huge amount of goals to make up. We need another striker, for me.

Dunno, thought I explained that?

Marriott highly unlikely to be as poor or have such injury troubles again, Knight and Sibley able to contribute more from midfield. Full season of Rooney probably playing further forward and (hopefully) a new right sided winger / forward targeted as a priority. A similar season from Lawrence would be good as well.

Then you have Whittaker and JHI hopefully able to contribute a little bit as well.

2 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Best of a average season of being up front. As much as I loved Martin being here - think his future belongs elsewhere.

Think people are forgetting something here, it’s just not down to Derby for it to suit. It has to suit him as well. Would he be guaranteed to start 30+ games next season here? Will he be used more from the bench? Is he stopping a younger player coming through to break into the first XI?

As I’ve stated, Martin has been brilliant for us - but at 30+ and potentially costing us at least 5 figures a week. Is it much more wiser to maybe try others? We do need to take the blinkers off and look at the bigger picture.

Think we will learn a lot more about what other clubs think about his ability on where he ends up.

Didn't he have one of the best goals to minutes ratio in the entire league? Don't see how that's average, when he also offers a lot in all around play too. How well have we replaced him with strikers over the year? We haven't. We're rubbish at signing players. I'd rather just keep a proven quality player and think it's a huge mistake.

Didn't he have one of the best goals to minutes ratio in the entire league? Don't see how that's average, when he also offers a lot in all around play too. How well have we replaced him with strikers over the year? We haven't. We're rubbish at signing players. I'd rather just keep a proven quality player and think it's a huge mistake.

Ooooh stats and facts, no that won't do! ?

Just now, nottingram said:

Dunno, thought I explained that?

Marriott highly unlikely to be as poor or have such injury troubles again, Knight and Sibley able to contribute more from midfield. Full season of Rooney probably playing further forward and (hopefully) a new right sided winger / forward targeted as a priority. A similar season from Lawrence would be good as well.

Then you have Whittaker and JHI hopefully able to contribute a little bit as well.

Marriott should be the one we're getting rid of. Even in his ''good season'' he doesn't have great numbers, maybe he's just not very good? How many teams succeed in this league without a 15-20 goal a season striker? We don't have one. 

It's a shame that Chris and the club couldn't find terms to suit them both, but it's not the end of the world.

I like CM and thank him for the service he's given to the club and for all the goals and assists he provided, but we don't play in a style that is really suited to his game anymore and he was getting more and more isolated in games.

I think Cocu will be looking for a replacement with more pace that will be able to break from deep as the opposition try to push up when we are playing the ball around our midfield.

Time will tell if the right decision has been made by both the club and CM.

Always liked Martin and he’s had a good season and we clearly wanted to keep him.

Sad to see him go but he clearly feels he needs/can get a better deal elsewhere. I think he’s going to struggle to be honest as the finances outside the Prem are changing fast. 

I don’t know what we offered but I can’t see any other club improving on our offer unless it was seriously low ball. Finances are too tight now for clubs to be offering serious wages to a striker in their early 30’s with documented health problems, Who doesn’t fit the style of play of a number of clubs in the division.

Good luck to him and thanks for the memories, he’s a talented player and it’s interesting to see the door may still be adjar for him if he realises what’s going on in this and the divisions below!

8 minutes ago, Andicis said:

We’re rubbish at signing players..... is that really a reason?

Alas, let’s see where he ends up with regards his best goal ratio..... 

Archived