Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's a shadow of his former self. Albeit a giant beast of a shadow that can still put the ball in the net.

Seems to be dropping deeper than previous seasons, but he's still a decent passer and seems to be really getting his confidence back in front of goal. His last two seemed more like 2013/14 Martin goals than some of the scrappier ones from earlier. He could still get to a decent number before the end of the season. His goals to minutes played ratio 7:1293 is significantly better than Waggy (9:2207) or Marriott (2:1142).

He’s still our best striker imo, if we’re counting Rooney as a midfielder. He’s not quite the player he was, and he’s not gonna have enough to be our long term striker if we’re aiming promotion in the coming years, but he’s still a damn good player at this level. His natural talent in terms of his touch and intelligence in his passing is still very much evident. He’s still a good enough option for next season for me and a quality option to have available in your squad, so I’d definitely be offering him a new short term deal to keep him here - provided the wages are reduced.

I hope I'm way of the mark but I fear this may be his last season with us. At his age he is probably looking for more security than a 1 year deal. If you also factor in he is gonna have to take a pay cut too given our current financial situation. It may be difficult to compete with any other offers he is most likely gonna receive. I'm surprised no other clubs have not already been sniffing around. The save our Wardrobe campaign needs to get up and running. 

1 hour ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I hope I'm way of the mark but I fear this may be his last season with us. At his age he is probably looking for more security than a 1 year deal. If you also factor in he is gonna have to take a pay cut too given our current financial situation. It may be difficult to compete with any other offers he is most likely gonna receive. I'm surprised no other clubs have not already been sniffing around. The save our Wardrobe campaign needs to get up and running. 

He’ll be taking a big pay cut no matter where he goes. I imagine it’ll be a last minute extension so he earns as much as possible this season. 

8 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He’ll be taking a big pay cut no matter where he goes. I imagine it’ll be a last minute extension so he earns as much as possible this season. 

Last minute extensions...... now there’s a thoughtinterested GIF

14 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

That's very true. Unlikely to get another contract like the one we allegedly threw at him. If he's going elsewhere for free though, the team taking him can use the money saved on a transfer fee to bump his wages. Hope you're right that it's a last minute extension though.

Give him another year, on wages that are drastically reduced.

no one else is going to offer him mega bucks, and you get the impression from some of his early season interviews that he enjoys it at Derby. As long as we match any other offers, I think he would want to stay.

Over the last however many seasons there’s nothing I’ve enjoyed more in the championship than an on song Chris Martin 

I realise perhaps his best days maybe behind him and we have to play a certain way to get the best out of him 

but when he’s on it , we’ll.... it’s the reason I watch football

a pure technician of a centre forward 

4 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

SOW?

Not the most sensitive acronym, given his historical portliness!

Need a different campaign name!

5 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

It’s hard to imagine that he wouldn’t want to stay because he has always done well in the Derby county shirt and not so in other teams shirts bar Norwich- I am sure a suitable extension could be arranged if there is willing on both sides 

36 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

I suspect that, a bit like the Bradley Johnson situation, there will be some champ team happy to offer him better Wonga on a free.

Enjoy the last couple of months of him.

Man clearly loves the club though, listen to his interviews and watch how happy he is on the pitch. Takes a special kind of player to be shunned a number of times by the club and still come and give it your all. 

Could see him finishing his career at the club. 

He could have just loafed around waiting for that big contract to finish like so many others especially given his, in my opinion, shoddy treatment (apart from wages!).  However much you liked him as a player who can really have imagined that he could turn it around as he has this season. To me sums up Cocu's coaching team's recognition of a skilled player written off by others including the lorded Mr Lampard and their attitude in not writing anyone off happy to put the work in. And also his as a professional. Young attackers can learn so much from him and Wayne. Of course he should stay a while. If only they were here a while ago to take George Thorne in hand. 

Every time I applaud him onto or off the pitch I get a little thrill, as I thought I would never see Chris Martin in a Derby shirt again.

It's like every appearance this season is a chance to appreciate and say thank you for the talents of a man who has been brilliant for Derby. I am never quite sure which game might be his last.

I also think even some of the more vociferous Martin doubters are now seeing what he brings to the game.

Cocu seems to be managing his game time better, too. Chris didn't look any too happy to be subbed off last night but it was absolutely the right thing to do at that stage of the game when we needed a willing runner on the counter-attack.

Get him on the pitch from the off, get the goals and then let someone else's younger legs see it out. 

Whether he goes or stays at the end of the season (and I would definitely keep him) he will be back at some stage as our Manager. I hope that I am still around to see it.

Deserves a new contract,the team is a far better one when he is involved and he can still score quality goals as well as providing them.

I'd expect it would be on reduced terms obviously,he's older and the club is substantially poorer but it's clear he loves playing and living in Derby so if imagine he would like to stay a couple more seasons.

Archived