Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Could you explain how and why you come to this conclusion?

what exactly has stopped them scoring more this season?

Martin providing no platform for them to get up the pitch. Not working the defenders, not stretching the play, stood around looking irritated, before throwing himself on the ground and not getting free kicks? 

Maybe... ?

10 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Could you explain how and why you come to this conclusion?

what exactly has stopped them scoring more this season?

Probably the fact that Rooney was only available for half of this season’s games and Sibley played in less than a quarter of them. Both are better goal scorers than the other midfielders we used this season - Holmes, Shinnie, Dowell, etc...

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

Probably the fact that Rooney was only available for half of this season’s games and Sibley played in less than a quarter of them. Both are better goal scorers than the other midfielders we used this season - Holmes, Shinnie, Dowell, etc...

Sibley,I can go with,he's only going to get better but Rooney definitely on quite a severe decline and I can't see him matching this year's quota other than for penalties and the odd free kuck.

I'm going to be controversial (and no doubt get slated for it), but I'm not bothered that he's going - in fact I'm almost pleased. Now I'll temper that by saying he's very good at what he does - and when he was part of that Mac team, he was brilliant for us - but those dayys have gone....

I just struggle to see how we build a team playing the way that Cocu seems to want to play with Martin up front. His lack of mobility means he's a passenger for long parts of games when we're under pressure and the very fact he's on the pitch tends to dictate how we set up. I appreciate that it's not his fault he finds himself isolated in a lot of games due to the lack of other players getting up to support him, but that's actually the point. Without the support of others, he offers little to the team unless we manage to get a corner or freekick where he can get amongst the defenders - he's never going to get on the end of a clearance, turn a defender and score; he's not going to to burst from the halfway line and thunder a shot from the edge of the box - simply not his game - and yet we're increasingly playing a possession based game which relies on quick breaks - that demands a quick and mobile striker which Martin has never been....

Thanks for the good times Chris, but best for both sides if you find somewhere else and we go with a different type of striker that better suits our side....

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

So the same as this season, subtracting Martin's 19 goal contributions? Who's making up the void? Hoping for JHI to have an astounding year? I think it's extreme. It's a huge amount of goals to make up. We need another striker, for me.

Out if interest, where do you get the 19 goal contribution from?

5 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Sibley,I can go with,he's only going to get better but Rooney definitely on quite a severe decline and I can't see him matching this year's quota other than for penalties and the odd free kuck.

Goals from midfield this season:

Sibley - 5
Rooney - 5
Knight - 2 (others from the wing)
Holmes - 2
Shinnie - 2
Huddlestone - 1

If we can’t better that next season we may as well give up now. 
I struggle to see Sibley not hitting double figures, Rooney’s guaranteed a few penalties and freekicks, the others will surely chip in with a fee as well. 

3 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I'm going to be controversial (and no doubt get slated for it), but I'm not bothered that he's going - in fact I'm almost pleased. Now I'll temper that by saying he's very good at what he does - and when he was part of that Mac team, he was brilliant for us - but those dayys have gone....

I just struggle to see how we build a team playing the way that Cocu seems to want to play with Martin up front. His lack of mobility means he's a passenger for long parts of games when we're under pressure and the very fact he's on the pitch tends to dictate how we set up. I appreciate that it's not his fault he finds himself isolated in a lot of games due to the lack of other players getting up to support him, but that's actually the point. Without the support of others, he offers little to the team unless we manage to get a corner or freekick where he can get amongst the defenders - he's never going to get on the end of a clearance, turn a defender and score; he's not going to to burst from the halfway line and thunder a shot from the edge of the box - simply not his game - and yet we're increasingly playing a possession based game which relies on quick breaks - that demands a quick and mobile striker which Martin has never been....

Thanks for the good times Chris, but best for both sides if you find somewhere else and we go with a different type of striker that better suits our side....

You are Nigel Pearson and I claim the £5

9 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Best post for a while in regards to Chris Martin,was watching the Brentford v Swansea game the other night and on more than a few occasions Ollie Watkins was tackling near his own corner flag and moments later was receiving ball in the opposition penalty box that is the sort of player we are crying out for.Little old Brentford can get a fearsome front three its just about looking in the right places

Just now, ramboy63 said:

Best post for a while in regards to Chris Martin, was watching the Brentford v Swansea game the other night and on more than a few occasions Ollie Watkins was tackling near his own corner flag and moments later was receiving ball in the opposition penalty box that is the sort of player we are crying out for. Little old Brentford can get a fearsome front three its just about looking in the right places.

We looked at Watkins. Who were the other two? How much did they cost?

1 minute ago, ramboy63 said:

Best post for a while in regards to Chris Martin,was watching the Brentford v Swansea game the other night and on more than a few occasions Ollie Watkins was tackling near his own corner flag and moments later was receiving ball in the opposition penalty box that is the sort of player we are crying out for.Little old Brentford can get a fearsome front three its just about looking in the right places

It helps when the selling club doesn’t try to bend little old Brentford over a barrel then sell him for less than they were originally asking. 

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

That got me more than it had any right to.

Every single one of them gambled on getting this club promoted.

Russell didn’t go to Bournemouth

Keogh and Bryson didn’t go to Burnley and commited long term.

Thorne left Premiership West Brom.

Martin commited his peak years to Derby whilst still at Fulham. 

It hasn’t paid off for anyone, we’ve gone over it so many times but it’s near scandalous that we couldn’t manage it. 

Archived