v Northampton Town (A) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

36 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

not a great watch but we are still  in the hat for the next round,  that's the main thing. I hope tickets are priced reasonably so people turn up in numbers for the replay.

If its over a tenner i shall be giving this one a miss

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Roos, Malone, Forsyth, Bird, Sibley, Martin, Whittaker. 

Do you actually watch Derby? Sounds like you haven’t got a clue. 

Rooney, Bogle, Waghorn, Wisdom, Knight, 

Do you actually watch Derby? sounds like you haven’t got a clue. 

I'm on record for saying don't expect Rooney to be the magic solution and it's very true.  I'm sure he's inspiring players but on the pitch he's sadly pretty average.  

My Cobbler mate summed it up pretty well.  "No fluidity to Derby play. Your first 11 would win. To be fair we should have been down to 10. Poor refereeing. We’re a throwback to yesteryear in terms of style. Route one. Direct. It works in Div 2. On to the replay."

My only issue with this is I'm not sure anyone knows what our first 11 is!  I think Cocu is trying to make us hard to break down, hence the somewhat negative style of play.  But this is leading to a goal drought as we have hardly anyone who seems to want to break forward aka Mount / Wilson last season, or the likes of Hendrick, Russell, Simpson of old.  Holmes can do it as can (deep breath) Lawrence but the end result is often poor.  

We need to stick together on this I think.  It feels like it did in '84 and '91.  Times when supporting Derby were hard but we turned it round and came good.  I'm sure we will again but I feel we have a season (or two) of less than inspiring times ahead until we "get it right" again - which we will.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Maybe it's because the performances are fickle. Do you expect everyone to be positive with their comments because we did OK the week before?

No.

Last week everyone was talking about how we’ve turned over a new page etc now apparently we’re the worst thing to happen to this country since the vegan epidemic.

3 hours ago, DRBee said:

Mardy drama queen is a better description of your good self -   in as much it reflects your own inability to tolerate adverse comment about the match even when  well deserved.

No shots is far from the whole story, as equally deserving of mention were the misplaced passes or woeful crosses. 

I wonder what an objective neutral watching the match would have made of it?  Rooney ... who ? was it really him playing?

It was the opposite of the Crystal Palace performance , with too many changes.

Your opening sentence is complete and utter baalocks.

Perfectly happy to read 'adverse comment' (what adverse comment? I think everyone agrees we were poor?) just not the OTT histrionics and snide little one line comments from some posters you can set your bloody watch to on every single match thread where we don't get a win. 

It's like they have a list of 3 or 4 sentences saved in a notepad document and their fingers readied over Ctrl-V from 85 minutes onwards!

Then that's their contribution to the forum done for a week, or 2 weeks, or however long it is until we next don't win a game. An entire posting history of world is ending, worst performance/manager/player I've ever seen style moaning. 

A neutral would say we were rubbish, but they'd probably just think back to all the times over the years they've watched similar matches on TV where better teams than us have been given similar 'scares' or even been knocked out.

We made fewer changes yesterday than we did for the Palace game.

Also what we put out yesterday was as close to the same team who beat Palace as we could possibly have played, and loads of people were saying how great it looked pre-game. 

Some strange reactions to last night's game on here. I was a little worried when I saw some of the score predictions beforehand, and even more so when I read the almost universal praise for the line-up, despite the eight changes. 

You could tell from the buzz around the ground and retail park pre-game that this was a big match for Northampton and they were a Town up for the Cup!

I thought they did a great job of creating an atmosphere that the team then responded to with grit and determination. 

It wasn't really a match of any great quality on either side but we were set up to counteract their direct play and physicality, and on the whole I thought we did that pretty well. Northampton tread a very fine line between physicality and thuggery. At the risk of sounding like Dave is a Ram I think it would have been a different game if we had any protection from the referee, not just for the obvious foul and sending off but for the amount of pushing, shoving and holding back that wasn't even considered as being a foul. Anything above waist high was considered fair game - the kick into Waghorn's midriff and a particularly blatant shove into Wisdom when he move a good four feet in mid-air were just two examples, but the game was littered with them. 

I thought we looked like we hadn't played much with this line-up, which we hadn't,  so there was every reason to look disjointed. For those moaning at Sibley, are you the ones who were also complaining about Knight after two or three games? It has taken Knight a while to settle into the side, same with Whittaker ( he had a very bright cameo last night) so please be patient. At the other end of the spectrum, Rooney is still working towards full match fitness.

The only way that these players get that is with matches. Cocu has decided he is using the Cup for this, so moan about that if you want, rather than about individual players.

There wasn't really a lot of football from Derby worth commenting on but I thought Martin held the ball up well when he had it. I thought we missed Waghorn's sheer work rate up front, though, and the substitution that brought on Bogle was strange. If ever a game was crying out for Duane Holmes, this was it. 

I'm not sure we as fans will welcome another game, but maybe the club will appreciate the revenue, especially if televised again, and Cocu will have a chance to set us up to play more of our own football next time - and give some minutes to players who need them. 

27 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Your opening sentence is complete and utter baalocks.

Perfectly happy to read 'adverse comment' (what adverse comment? I think everyone agrees we were poor?) just not the OTT histrionics and snide little one line comments from some posters you can set your bloody watch to on every single match thread where we don't get a win. 

It's like they have a list of 3 or 4 sentences saved in a notepad document and their fingers readied over Ctrl-V from 85 minutes onwards!

Then that's their contribution to the forum done for a week, or 2 weeks, or however long it is until we next don't win a game. An entire posting history of world is ending, worst performance/manager/player I've ever seen style moaning. 

A neutral would say we were rubbish, but they'd probably just think back to the last round as they've watched similar matches on TV where better teams than us have been given similar 'scares' or even been knocked out.

We made fewer changes yesterday than we did for the Palace game.

Also what we put out yesterday was as close to the same team who beat Palace as we could possibly have played, and loads of people were saying how great it looked pre-game. 

Watford 3 Tranmere 0 after 34mins, Final score 3-3, Onto a replay...Tranmere 2 Watford 1 AET.

Footballs a funny old game....Said Jimmy Greaves ?

Our midfield consisted of three players with less than fourty games between them and Rooney.These are the players expected to create for our forwards it is another step in their development against a style they may never have come up against before.

In the replay we could have a fitter Shinnie raring to go and add experience and steel in there and like it or not we missed Lawrence and Holmes last night.

2 hours ago, dajstrawb said:

We hold position. Shape. That’s what we do. Cocu and his men are trying to make us hard to beat first. Stop us losing games. And it’s working. It’s step 1. And he’s looks close to implementing it. Patience. 

I agree with this. We've stopped shipping goals, Rooney is carrying out Cocu's orders on the pitch, keeping the shape, making teams work harder to create chances against us, all while having half a team of kids. Small incremental changes but progress all the same.

Its no disgrace not to be the victim of a cup giant killing btw. We've had some thrilling cup games where we've punched above our weight in recent seasons so fair play to Northampton.

I'll be happy with a top half finish, another couple of cup games and a steady improvement in our goal threat for this season.

This game was like playing old school Wimbledon. They used to make good teams look meh, and win games against "superior "opposition with some regularity. I'm not worried about the game as a one off, or any inividual bad performances, especially from the kids. If Sibley is as good as we think he is he will learn and come back better.

I am more worried about our lack of goalscoring chances over the last few games despite the fact we have improved. I still think Rooney could be the one to make us click despite his low key performance last night.

49 minutes ago, Squid said:

No.

Last week everyone was talking about how we’ve turned over a new page etc now apparently we’re the worst thing to happen to this country since the vegan epidemic.

No doubt you can quote specifics but maybe they're not always the same people posting completely opposing views from one week to the next. 

Archived