v Northampton Town (A) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

Haven’t read through rest of this thread yet but will do so here is my take with no reaction to any comments on here as I haven’t read them yet 

That ...was awful !! What I noticed was alarming to be honest ...eg of a passage of play ( if you could call it that !! ) The ball is played to Forsyth on the half way line and when you look you see probably one option to play a simple ball inside and keep possession and you think ...that’s the ball just play it ...it’s a simple pass ...Forsyth hoofs/sliced it to no one in particular up front where Marriott is beaten easily in the air ...next passage ...ball played to Malone who cannot go forward as path is blocked and has a simple out ball backwards to Davies he doesn’t play it and ends up running it aimlessly out of play ...simply put ..when we have the ball we either have very few options or when we do have options we don’t use the player in space ...truly woeful to be honest 

next passage of play Forsyth again has the ball at his feet wide and instead of keeping possession aims an aimless high ball into the channel more in hope than skill or judgment ...now this isn’t aimed solely at Forsyth or Davies or Malone but when you watch us it’s so difficult to watch it’s embarrassing 

when you watch the better teams you more often than not can predict the next pass as players get in space to give options and I’ll all for mixing up the play and not always playing short and safe but our long balls look like forlorn attempts rather than visionary passes...these players are pro footballers and just keeping the ball or moving into space to help seems beyond them ...I actually thought that was one of the worst games of so called professional football that I’ve seen ....I’m really at a loss as to what we need to do but if Leeds can play nice football I do expect us to be slightly better than that showing ...I know it’s a cup tie and a small tight crowd and pitch etc etc but we looked leggy and woeful and Northampton played on Tuesday night ....unbeleivably poor ?

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I actually thought that was fine.

It's not easy to go away to an in-form big lower league team on a bobbly pitch on a Friday night with five teenagers from the academy in your side. Had the officials shown basic levels of competence I'd expect us to have won at a canter.

As it's a replay I'm delighted that almost certainly means another start for Sibley and Martin.

Tonight for the very first time I felt we saw a glimpse of what Whittaker can offer to the first team. And I loved how Roos kept catching the balls pumped into the box al night. He did really well.

In the draw.  Which means more revenue too. Potential banana skin avoided. On t,o the next game.

Not the first comment along these lines I've read and I do enjoy your posts.

But apart from the red card incident, which may or may not have altered the result,  what else did the ref do that inhibited our performance so?

Wasn’t great tonight but I think there are some overreactions here. Northampton made it difficult, they are direct, they gave us no space, dragged us down to their level- they would have punished us with more quality. 

we lacked quality everywhere. We badly need a physical presence up front, a goal poacher. Also, we seem to have many one footed players, need someone to take chances edge of area. Rooney is perfect candidate but he had to play deeper to find space. We badly need a centre back. Forsyth didn’t look comfortable first half. He was better second half and battled well but he’s not a centre back. 
I thought we battled hard. This would be a match some Derby teams in recent seasons would have capitulated in. We are still in the cup though so it’s a positive. Well played Northampton. 

I was there tonight - some excellent music before kick off! 

roos - decent but some dodgy moments 

wisdom - defended well 

Davies - looked jaded to me 

Forsyth - headed the ball away so many times

Malone - he just not very good  

bird - not involved very much 

sibley - again not involved very much 

knight - damm good - our bright spark 

Rooney - average 

Martin - did ok with fairly poor service 

Marriott - we look more capable with him but little change for him

subs - Waghorn - not involved much

bogle - looks unsure when asked to play in midfield 

Whittaker - always seems a little star struck when he comes on but a couple of decent moments but he needs to make his mind up quicker and he will be much more effective 

Couldn’t go tonight through illness.  Couldn’t watch it live so watched it 2-3 hours after you.  Didn’t dare switch my phone on.

why do we seem to struggle against lower level teams? Is it that making 2-3 changes ( imo) from our best team leaves us to Northampton’s level? 
Are we 2-3 changes to our strongest team taking us from where we are in the championship to be lucky with a draw with Northampton?? I don’t know.’

4 hours ago, Shuff264 said:

Roos deserves credit, claimed the ball well and never looked like flapping

Players deserve praise for improving on weaknesses

7 minutes in when Forsyth challenges in the air on the edge of the box.

Roos ran out to get involved, for anyone’s guess? Forsyth lost the header and Roos could only watch as the ball trickled past the post!

If that wasn’t nearly a match losing flap I don’t know what is??

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

It's not easy to go away to an in-form big lower league team on a bobbly pitch on a Friday night with five teenagers from the academy in your side. Had the officials shown basic levels of competence I'd expect us to have won at a canter.

As it's a replay I'm delighted that almost certainly means another start for Sibley and Martin.

Tonight for the very first time I felt we saw a glimpse of what Whittaker can offer to the first team. And I loved how Roos kept catching the balls pumped into the box al night. He did really well.

In the draw.  Which means more revenue too. Potential banana skin avoided. On t,o the next game.

I've not seen much previously that impressed me about Whittaker but tonight we saw a glimpse of what cocu does and I liked it..

As for the rest,well,nice touches and passes from Rooney and martin who are by far our most insightful players and nice to see Waggers energy when he came on...I like him as a winger more than a striker very much.

Marriott still looks lost even with the foil of Martin...I really don't know what to make of him.

Not a bad game really for a typical cup tie against lower league energetic opposition.

Onwards.....

Long and short of it ..had Northampton had there shooting boots on we could have easily found ourselves 2 down at h/t ..and appauling decision via referee England not to send Goode off in first half  I may hasten to add ....second half slightly better ( only slightly )    I will give Northampton credit for first half performance ...The two and only highlights a clean sheet and 7 unbeaten 

When I saw the team I was quite excited. The chance to see Martin and Marriott together. Three youngsters making their way in the game, learning from Rooney.

I did have reservations about our defence but assumed as a championship club that we would have too much class for Northampton.

Wow!

I am a big fan of Chris Martin but he has gone back to the version that strolls everywhere and gets nowhere. He played some good passes but as a forward was invisible. Marriott had a frustrating time and was fouled several times other than the penalty.

I thought the three lads were a bit disappointing. They had the chance to have a go but looked timid and played it safe.

They weren’t helped by Rooney who I’m afraid wouldn’t be in my first eleven when everyone is fit. Heresy I know but he has looked off the pace in our last three games.

Defensively we looked very edgy and we are incapable of heading a football to our own team. Compare us against the opposition in our next game and you will see what I mean.

I see our players warming up with six a side and I wonder if that’s all they do in training because we can’t 

Head a ball

Cross a ball

Shoot

I can’t fault the effort and last night’s team is not our first team, but unless we improve dramatically our technical skills,  better teams will destroy us.

8 hours ago, Coconut said:

Mardy mardy drama queens as per.

Not the first and not the last team to put in a performance like that away to a lower league side in the cup on an awful pitch not suited to playing football on. 

Whining about no shots on target as if it tells the full story. We could have just launched it toward their keeper every time we had the ball 50 yards outs and recorded any number of shots on target. It wouldn't mean we'd created any more good opportunities but the people who focus entirely on one statistic would be appeased.

Davies buries one of his two easy(ish) headers and it's not even a thing.

We got into enough good positions only for the final pass to be poo, that's the most annoying thing for me.

Mardy drama queen is a better description of your good self -   in as much it reflects your own inability to tolerate adverse comment about the match even when  well deserved.

No shots is far from the whole story, as equally deserving of mention were the misplaced passes or woeful crosses. 

I wonder what an objective neutral watching the match would have made of it?  Rooney ... who ? was it really him playing?

It was the opposite of the Crystal Palace performance , with too many changes.

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Quite - I'm not sure what people expect. How often does a team go to an away tie and a lower league club and properly impress? Rarely! From the time the draw was made, I expected it to be difficult and a draw was always decent...

Has someone copied and pasted this thread from the Accrington game last season which we scrapped through with a better side n the field.

Northampton currently are better team than Accrington have not lost at home in the last twelve games and having a run at promotion from league two....good experience for the youngsters and match practice for others.The great Alex Ferguson said in his book that Rooney after not playing for awhile takes five to seven games to get fit and firing and some off those will be below par performances so better will come.

The officials made a huge error that would have changed the game but apart from that it was just a cup tie that has been seen a million times over the years and better teams than Derby have lost and drawn them.

Archived