v Northampton Town (A) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

FA Cup 4th Round

Friday 24th January - KO 2000 - Live on BT Sports

PTS Academy Stadium 

Well it continues to be my honour and privilege to get another matchday thread up and running and it's a return to the FA Cup as the Rams head to Sixfields for the first time ever in what will be only the 11th meeting between the two clubs. It's tempting fate I know but it's worth mentioning that we have never lost to the Cobblers, with six wins and four draws so far against them (three wins and a draw in the Cup plus three wins and three draws in what is now the Championship). Only those fans of a certain vintage will remember the last meeting which came way back in 1967.

Our hosts moved into their 'new' 7,798 capacity stadium in 1994, three years before we headed for Pride Park and this is their 17th successive season in the bottom two tiers of the Football League.

Common denominators between us include Kevin Wilson who managed them and at least three players in recent times who turned out for both clubs, namely Ian Taylor, Michael Jacobs and one whose time at Northampton I had no idea of, a certain Marco Gabbiadini.

Northampton currently sit sixth in League Two and are in a rich vein of form. Their 4-1 victory against Morecambe yesterday made it three in a row in the league and four in all competitions when you include their excellent 4-2 win at Burton in the previous round of the FA Cup. After a sluggish start to the campaign the Cobblers have amassed 30 points from their last 14 league matches (W9 D3 L2) and, like ourselves, are much happier at home where they are currently on a nine match unbeaten run if you also include a Cup win against Notts County in that sequence (W8 D1  F20 A4). 

Current top scorers for them are Andrew Williams (8) and Sam Hoskins (6) and their manager is former Wimbledon, Sheffield United and England defender Keith Curle.

Two other things of note. Firstly, and this seems a little unfair on them I must admit, they have a trip to Leyton Orient on Tuesday so we should be fresher come Friday night. Secondly, after a quick perusal of their squad pics, I think the kindest thing to say is you'd struggle to form a boy band from among them that would woo hearts. Damn, they're an ugly bunch. 

As for the team I expect to see (no point going with my preferred line up in a matchday thread I guess) well who knows? Cocu will almost certainly bring back Roos and I just wonder if this game may be a good opportunity to give Rooney a rest given we have a trip to Luton just four days later. My guess then:

Roos / Wisdom / Forsyth / Davies / Clarke / Bird / Sibley / Holmes / Whittaker / Knight / Martin     (Ravas / Bogle / Lowe / Huddlestone / Bennett / Lawrence / Waghorn or Marriott)

Over to you fine people now for your thoughts and predicted team. Let us keep on supporting all the players and keep this little run going. COYR.

Go.

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me 9 changes for this  match.

Roos

Wisdom Davies  Forsyth Malone

Bird

Sibley.                 Shinnie                   

Rooney 

Marriott   Martin 

Be a similar team to Palace, mix of players on fringes and youth.

Roos

Bogle Davies Clarke Malone

Rooney Bird Sibley

Whittaker Marriott Knight

If we're lucky, a new centre back. If we're unlucky, Martin to start instead of injured Marriott.

Maybe a chance we see Shinnie back if fit.

The issue for me is to have the right players available for the two league games next week - If we are going to win away in the league again this season then Luton is a possibility and we will have to have our strongest line up for Stoke.  Not because they are any good, just because I always want to stuff them.

So..

Roos

Bogle  Wisdom  Clarke  Lowe

Bird

Knight    Sibley

Waghorn                    Lawrence

Marriott

(Martin if no Marriott)

Davies, Huddlestone and Rooney needed for the two games next week. Holmes could play, I'm sure, but he does run miles so I'd rest him.

Roos continues his rehabilitation,  Wisdom more experience at CB, Knight gets minutes further inside (playing wide isn't his best position), Bird has been unlucky to be left out and Sibley can audition for a loan for the rest of the season.

Subs to include Whittaker and JHI (trialist).  Also Buchanan, if he's still around - any news on his fitness?

Roos

Bogle Davies Forsyth Malone 

Huddlestone    

Bird         Shinnie    

Sibley 

Marriott Martin 

if Rooney has to play then bird to the bench  

I like a cup run so I hope we take it seriously, I would like to see quite a few changes but still a strong enough team so something like this:

Roos

Bogle Wisdom Davies  Malone 

Huddlestone 

Sibley     Shinnie 

M.Lawson Martin  Lawrence 

2 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

I like a cup run so I hope we take it seriously, I would like to see quite a few changes but still a strong enough team so something like this:

Roos

Bogle Wisdom Davies  Malone 

Huddlestone 

Sibley     Shinnie 

M.Lawson Martin  Lawrence 

Think you'll find MLawson is at Bristol Rovers 

As usual with a cup tie, a few changes to keep everyone fit:

Roos

Bogle Davies Clarke Malone

Bird Holmes

Whittaker Rooney Josefzoon

Martin

As ever, its a cup tie so anything can happen, especially with our away record. We need to absolutely on top of our game and not underestimate the opposition if we’re to make it through to the next round as we’re expected to.

Roos

Bogle      Wisdom    Davies (C)    Malone 

Shinnie            Bird

Whittaker            Sibley               Knight 

Martin 

Subs- Ravas, Fozzy, Lowe, Huddlestone, Lawrence, Waghorn, Marriott 

I don't know why everyone had Whittaker in the team as a RW, for me he doesn't seem like a winger from what I have seen from him anyway. He lacks confidence to take people on and he doesn't seem that explosive, I always thought he was a goal getting striker anyway. Surely we have someone from the under 23s that could play over him? Maybe he has just settled into the team poorly, but from what I have seen of him I am not too impressed but by no means am I ruling him out. I don't watch Under 23s games, so enlighten me if I am completely wrong but he seems abit awkward on the ball Thomas Muller esque, instead of an out an out and out winger which is what we need. 

Archived