v Northampton Town (A) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Hamer: 2 clean sheets all season (Hull and Scunthorpe)

Roos: 2 clean sheets in his last 2 apps, 6 in last 10, 7 all season 

Not quite as simple as that though is it. I reckon I could have kept a clean sheet playing for either team last night. 

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, TimRam said:

Thought we did ok. On form lower league team, away and a cup game. Rode our luck a few times in first half. They do score a few in the league so that result is fair enough.

I’m happy with the draw. 

Looking forward to the  Cup draw and the replay .

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Hamer: 2 clean sheets all season (Hull and Scunthorpe)

Roos: 2 clean sheets in his last 2 apps, 6 in last 10, 7 all season 

Means nothing if the defence keeps changing personnel. I'm not fussed with either keeper starting - we have much more pressing needs elsewhere in the team.

1 hour ago, Squid said:

No.

Last week everyone was talking about how we’ve turned over a new page etc now apparently we’re the worst thing to happen to this country since the vegan epidemic.

Yes, curse the vegans and their commitment and dedication to lessening barbaric cruelty and improving the environment.

As for last night we were very poor but we are still in the hat. People’s concerns about a lack of attacking prowess are valid and not based solely on this game.

Bringing Bogle on, when the game was crying out for Holmes, was a tad bizarre but brought the home grown player quota up to 33%, a figure there or thereabouts which is seemingly important to us going forward. Like most I thought Whittaker had by far his best cameo for us. Games like this are good for the youngsters so another won’t do them any harm at all. 

it’s a long road ahead of us I fear, we are just going to have to be patient and pray for someone with a creative star quality to appear from somewhere. We have all seen worse though. 

I was disappointed with the lack of flowing football when we got in their last third.

That said, Marriott got an hour towards fitness. Martin, Fozzy, Malone and Davies got a game so they'll be that bit sharper if called upon,

Three kids got a game. SIbley got a start.

We didn't lose. We defended pretty well after two early scares. We have a very winnable home game to get into the last 16 of the cup. All golden.

11 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Luton’s team won’t play much different on Tuesday and the pitch will be similar. Can’t see us getting anything Tuesday if we struggle against teams who play direct 

You don't think that having our first team back in will help?

Good game last night, always thought that you would sneak it at the end as we tired.

Should be a good night for the replay, especially if the draw on monday throws up a juicy tie.

Not sure how many away supporters you allow, FA rules normally state 15% of Capacity which hopefully we will sell. 

11 minutes ago, Cobb said:

Good game last night, always thought that you would sneak it at the end as we tired.

Should be a good night for the replay, especially if the draw on monday throws up a juicy tie.

Not sure how many away supporters you allow, FA rules normally state 15% of Capacity which hopefully we will sell. 

Derby are usually pretty fair with away fans and prices so hopefully be ok

For me that was a poor game, how Robbie Savage kept saying it was a good game is beyond me, positives still in the cup, clean sheet, young lads getting game time, and more senior pros getting match fitness, let's hope for a better performance and 3 points against Luton. 

I wonder if Marriott was asked to swap shirts after the game by one of their CBs - as during it they were doing their best to grab it off him.  

Maybe for the replay he should wear one with dodgy seams that comes apart if it's tugged.

Though knowing our luck instead of giving a free kick, the ref would probably book him for removing his shirt.

4 hours ago, dajstrawb said:

We hold position. Shape. That’s what we do. Cocu and his men are trying to make us hard to beat first. Stop us losing games. And it’s working. It’s step 1. And he’s looks close to implementing it. Patience. 

Northampton had far better shape than us. We had the shape of an amoeba. And we were playing a Lge 2 side. 

68EBE6B3-3CA6-4DFE-BCCD-ED45648FC9A3.jpeg

3 hours ago, Jayram said:

Over entitled kid? Really? Mate I’ve been following this club for nearly 40 years and have seen far worse believe me. If you can honestly say this manager has done anything so far this season that has made anything better you are deluding yourself. Game after game it’s tedious clueless nothingness, no plan and I have no idea what we are trying to do. You know what? I don’t expect us to ‘pump’ every lower league side but I do expect to see my lot have at least one shot on target against a team 2 divisions lower. 
As for ‘constant whining’ it’s because I think that Cocu is taking us nowhere fast. That said, I know he’s not going anywhere - our club is a perfect storm of crap chairman and crap manager and we haven’t got a pot to piss in to change it, but until I see something that suggests otherwise, I’ll continue to call out Cocu for what he is in my opinion, a poor manager playing the worst football I’ve seen in years.

And I've been following the club for nigh on 35 years so like yourself, I'll have seen some awful Derby teams & awful Derby managers. This side isn't great & is clearly a work in progress but it's a million miles from the worst football we've both seen over the years.

You say 'game after game its clueless' but we're now 7 games unbeaten, a run that includes an away win at a Premier League club & 3 consecutive home wins, one with only 10 men for 85 minutes. It's that fact that leads me to believe you're being over dramatic & over-entitled.

Last night was crap agreed but it's the wider narrative you've brought up (rather than criticising the performance in isolation) that I dont think is reasonable.

21 minutes ago, Half Fan Half Biscuit said:

I wonder if Marriott was asked to swap shirts after the game by one of their CBs - as during it they were doing their best to grab it off him.  

Maybe for the replay he should wear one with dodgy seams that comes apart if it's tugged.

Though knowing our luck instead of giving a free kick, the ref would probably book him for removing his shirt.

We are clutching at straws with this Marriott thing to be honest. 

55 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Derby are usually pretty fair with away fans and prices so hopefully be ok

@Cobb You’ll get your 3000 but unless you think you’ll sell 5000 which I doubt then it’s the normal allocation.

Derby normally price this type of game in line with the FA Rules which I think is £15 for an adult. 

I can see a huge gate of around 10,000 coming up for it....

Archived