v Northampton Town (A) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

13 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Not the first comment along these lines I've read and I do enjoy your posts.

But apart from the red card incident, which may or may not have altered the result,  what else did the ref do that inhibited our performance so?

You say "apart from the red card incident" but it's these key moments that define games. If the League Two team had lost their best player after 13 minutes and been down to 10 men, 19 times out of 20 Derby win the game. It's basic officiating. I didn't blame the ref because he may or may not have had a decent view but just as pretty much everyone in the ground saw it, the linesman had clear unobstructed view and was incompetent. In those circumstances, the fourth official should have immediately asked why it hadn't been given, allowing a momentary second chance for lino and ref to get their act together. Just terribly disappointing and one of so many decisions we've not had this season. With that and the mountains of injuries and the behaviour of the players, Cocu has demonstrated he is not a lucky manager.

I was actually disappointed the ref showed Sibley no protection and then gave fouls against him that weren't. But the thing that has been a question mark against the youngster has been his temperament and by not reacting and losing his head at any point, Sibley showed Cocu he can be trusted in the league so that was a good learning experience,

More thoughts on the game are that, while we saw what a tremendous asset Jason Knight will be, we also  saw he can't play right wing. Our formation requires Bogle marauding down the right. It was a good sub by Cocu but Bogle just couldn't get in the game and had a very disappointing game. We lacked cutting edge but the stats were wrong as Martin had a fierce shot on target blocked by the defender. Martin showed again why he should be in the first team and one of the first names on the team sheet.

It's maybe a controversial view but with Bogle, Lowe, Bird, Knight, Sibley and Whittaker beginning to get regular game time I actually think this season looks like being a great success with Cocu absolutely delivering on his brief. It's unlikely we'll mount a late charge this season, but the experience these ultra-talented youngsters are getting will stand us in very good stead in the future.

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Curtains said:

We are clutching at straws with this Marriott thing to be honest. 

Yes and no. We created a legitimate 1 on 1 prevented illegally. If there player was sent off, their only threat (long throws) disappears and we win the game.

Pitch was awful but Malone + pitch together was a sight to see.

Yes I wanted to win but at PP, I’m confident we win by playing football on the deck more.

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

You say "apart from the red card incident" but it's these key moments that define games. If the League Two team had lost their best player after 13 minutes and been down to 10 men, 19 times out of 20 Derby win the game. It's basic officiating. I didn't blame the ref because he may or may not have had a decent view but just as pretty much everyone in the ground saw it, the linesman had clear unobstructed view and was incompetent. In those circumstances, the fourth official should have immediately asked why it hadn't been given, allowing a momentary second chance for lino and ref to get their act together. Just terribly disappointing and one of so many decisions we've not had this season. With that and the mountains of injuries and the behaviour of the players, Cocu has demonstrated he is not a lucky manager.

I was actually disappointed the ref showed Sibley no protection and then gave fouls against him that weren't. But the thing that has been a question mark against the youngster has been his temperament and by not reacting and losing his head at any point, Sibley showed Cocu he can be trusted in the league so that was a good learning experience,

More thoughts on the game are that, while we saw what a tremendous asset Jason Knight will be, we also  saw he can't play right wing. Our formation requires Bogle marauding down the right. It was a good sub by Cocu but Bogle just couldn't get in the game and had a very disappointing game. We lacked cutting edge but the stats were wrong as Martin had a fierce shot on target blocked by the defender. Martin showed again why he should be in the first team and one of the first names on the team sheet.

It's maybe a controversial view but with Bogle, Lowe, Bird, Knight, Sibley and Whittaker beginning to get regular game time I actually think this season looks like being a great success with Cocu absolutely delivering on his brief. It's unlikely we'll mount a late charge this season, but the experience these ultra-talented youngsters are getting will stand us in very good stead in the future.

Agree completely on the Marriott incident. There is a great TV angle behind the goal showing the foul which clearly shows the ref moving to an angle to see it. When Marriott goes over Forsyth from a long way away immediately appeals ... if he could see it, the ref and Lino have zero excuse. 

That moment completely changed the game from turning out what it would have been and changes the opinions on Marriotts contribution. He goes through on goal or wins the free kick which gets the player a red - he is given credit.

Didn’t affect me as I parked further away but I saw that all the cars parked in a dead end road behind the away end had tickets on. Maybe a few fans caught out - it’s so sad and pathetic in this day and age that I bet the Council just sit there waiting for games as they know fans will park on the curb on this road. 

It affected no one on a dead end road. It’s so sad and will only put off people going on games. Feel sorry if there was anyone on here who was parked there. Purely horrific work from the Northants Authorities.

14 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Yes and no. We created a legitimate 1 on 1 prevented illegally. If there player was sent off, their only threat (long throws) disappears and we win the game.

Pitch was awful but Malone + pitch together was a sight to see.

Yes I wanted to win but at PP, I’m confident we win by playing football on the deck more.

Don’t like players being sent off for stuff like that to be honest. 

Thought Northampton deserved a draw. 

14 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Left to play for? Please tell me you dont think we can actually win the FA Cup?

We only have to win 5 games to win the FA Cup, to win promotion we have got to win more than treble that....so we have more chance of winning the cup.  (And who really wants to go up anyway..?) 

I was pleased with the team selection last night and they all stood up well to the toughness of that type of opponent and sure enough we can do better offensively but an incredibly young midfield must have learned an awful lot at an away ground that is actually a home fortress 

Forsyth held us together at the back and Rooney organised us in midfield whilst Martin has the quality still to set others up if someone can give him a decent ball and Marriott may well be the goal scorer we need  but he has to show a hell of a lot more movement 

7 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

We only have to win 5 games to win the FA Cup, to win promotion we have got to win more than treble that....so we have more chance of winning the cup.  (And who really wants to go up anyway..?) 

Yeah because beating the likes of Man City, Liverpool etc is a much more simple task than a run of games vs shitty Championship opposition.

50 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

You say "apart from the red card incident" but it's these key moments that define games.

May define results, but our overall performance has been roundly criticised by some posters so I was interested to understand whether you were drawing a causal link between the two.

I don't disagree with much of the rest of your analysis. Looks like the whole season will more or less be a pre-season for figuring out the strengths and weaknesses of the youths. Unintentionally for sure.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

You say "apart from the red card incident" but it's these key moments that define games. If the League Two team had lost their best player after 13 minutes and been down to 10 men, 19 times out of 20 Derby win the game. It's basic officiating. I didn't blame the ref because he may or may not have had a decent view but just as pretty much everyone in the ground saw it, the linesman had clear unobstructed view and was incompetent. In those circumstances, the fourth official should have immediately asked why it hadn't been given, allowing a momentary second chance for lino and ref to get their act together. 

There was a comment by a poster a few weeks back where they posted that referees are impartial, I said do you believe in the tooth fairy.

Darren England the official is either incompetent or he favoured the smaller club, If incompetent then the adjudicator in the stand should mention in his report to the PGMOL that a rest from refereeing for a couple of weeks and a refresher course on the laws of the game be the outcome.

IMO he favoured the smaller club, He saw an opportunity with having Rooney on the pitch to show the watching public that he was incharge and not Rooney, If he'd have given the foul then he'd have had to send the player off, An easy get out is "I was unsited" so gave the benefit to the defender...balderdash imo, A good few times he pulled us up for alleged fouls but let them get away with the same offence.

The Linesman was as much use as a one legged man in an ass kicking competition, No use at all.

To the poster on here who said "we have the worst officials" I agree 100%

PS Darren England is from South Yorkshire...?

6 hours ago, Ram8 said:

The silence from the dozens of posters expecting Rooney to be a miracle worker is deafening.

Aside from a few decent long balls (which Tom Huddlestone executes with his eyes closed whenever he plays) he’s been pretty anonymous, and I can’t see that he brings anything to us long term.

Even the publicity that he attracts only draws attention to the appalling ineptitude of Cocu’s style of play, tactical nous and poor player judgement ! 

Not lost a game since he started playing ?

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

Don’t like players being sent off for stuff like that to be honest. 

Thought Northampton deserved a draw. 

Over the 90 and based on what the ref didn’t give, yes they absolutely did. On reality the actual score pretty much reflects exactly what it should be based on the (lack of) quality on display. 

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Oh he saw and he played on and right behind how hell they end with 11men on the pitch I will never know.

Thought we were a bit poor to be honest. We let Northampton bully us and the ref was by far the worst we've had all season and we've had some right shockers. In mitigation, the pitch was like a ploughed field, they were pretty robust, putting it politely but they also played out of their skins, so perhaps a little credit to them?

As for the team selection, some of the same people who were expressing delight at the team selection, were then up in arms inside 15 minutes. You wanted kids, you got kids, you wanted Marriott, once again you got him, you wanted him alongside Martin, got that too. As for the this unbeaten run being the worst football ever seen, get a grip! 

Of course we did. If i was the first team wouldnt Bogle Lowe Clark,Hammer,Lawrence, Holmes have played? Thats 5 players out of 11.

Also you have no reason to call people thick,Personally i would throw you out of the forum if you cant discuss things withour reverting to insulting language which not only disrespectful but entirely uncalled for

7 hours ago, Jayram said:

Over entitled kid? Really? Mate I’ve been following this club for nearly 40 years and have seen far worse believe me. If you can honestly say this manager has done anything so far this season that has made anything better you are deluding yourself. Game after game it’s tedious clueless nothingness, no plan and I have no idea what we are trying to do. You know what? I don’t expect us to ‘pump’ every lower league side but I do expect to see my lot have at least one shot on target against a team 2 divisions lower. 
As for ‘constant whining’ it’s because I think that Cocu is taking us nowhere fast. That said, I know he’s not going anywhere - our club is a perfect storm of crap chairman and crap manager and we haven’t got a pot to piss in to change it, but until I see something that suggests otherwise, I’ll continue to call out Cocu for what he is in my opinion, a poor manager playing the worst football I’ve seen in years.

Harsh ,but my thoughts do follow your thinking every now and then.

2 hours ago, rammieib said:

Didn’t affect me as I parked further away but I saw that all the cars parked in a dead end road behind the away end had tickets on. Maybe a few fans caught out - it’s so sad and pathetic in this day and age that I bet the Council just sit there waiting for games as they know fans will park on the curb on this road. 

It affected no one on a dead end road. It’s so sad and will only put off people going on games. Feel sorry if there was anyone on here who was parked there. Purely horrific work from the Northants Authorities.

Maybe it will just put people off parking on the curb. It might be a dead end road but perhaps there had been problems there before hence why the authorities were out and about. Hardly "horrific".

Archived