v Northampton Town (A) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Coconut said:

To get as far as realistically possible and generate some extra income.

Do Northampton's fans and manager think they can win the cup?

In a way you’re right, but I always remember an interview with a Derby player a few years back when he said we know we’re not going to win the cup.... 

It bothered me. Footballers should be hoping and believing they can win every match. I’ve seen teams like Wigan, Birmingham and Leicester win cups. 
We need a winning mentality. We need to believe we will win it. Obviously we probably won’t but one thing is for sure a team will never win it with the wrong attitude. 

My concern, and this is a recurring one throughout our season it’s something Iv seen... as have many and savage talked about in commentary last night 

but what are actually trying to do ?

how are we trying to beat the opposition ?

to quote savage last night ‘ I don’t know what Derby’s game plan is’ Northampton’s is get it forward at every opportunity, but I don’t know what Derby are trying to do’

he nailed it ... in one first half of watching us he nailed what my frustrations are with cocu

i don’t know we’re trying to do ?

We don’t get bodies in the box, we seldom ( I counted TwIce ) have midfield runners going past out front men, we don’t support our front man, We don’t get crosses in of any quality... not that there’s a lot to hit in there 

we don’t try and turn the opposition, we don’t try and work the flanks , we occasionally give the ball to bogle or lowe, stand back and see if they can beat their man and get a cross in to the one it maybe two bodies in the box.. invariably of late they’ve been losing it 

we play and attack at a snails pace opting for the safe sideways or back pass rather than trying to Play between the lines 

some of it is having the players to do this but there are so so many fundamentals that we see not happening on a weekly basis is my massive concern 

We gaa as we to stick with it and cocu, we don’t have a choice , the last thing we need is more upheaval, I just sit there thinking another manager could cut loose some of the conservative shackles and we could see a lot more from this lot despite their obvious limitations 

maybe I’m just being fantisiful 

anyway ... onto Luton let’s hope for a little more urgency and purpose and 3 points  

The silence from the dozens of posters expecting Rooney to be a miracle worker is deafening.

Aside from a few decent long balls (which Tom Huddlestone executes with his eyes closed whenever he plays) he’s been pretty anonymous, and I can’t see that he brings anything to us long term.

Even the publicity that he attracts only draws attention to the appalling ineptitude of Cocu’s style of play, tactical nous and poor player judgement ! 

Bit deflated post match last night after being well up for it pre match especially after seeing the team (3 youngsters & Rooney plus Martin & Marriott up top) .... not to worry though the happy clapper within is back this morning, bring on the hatters we’ll smash them instead ???...... I think!!!!! 

7 hours ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

I would hope the players and manager all believe we could win the cup. What’s the point otherwise. 

On that basis, shouldn't we also want them to believe they can get to the playoffs and get promoted? The bookies think that is more likely than a cup win.

10 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Agree with everything u say bud 

although I do think cocu has to take some rap, we’re playing Northampton of league 2, we haven’t created or even looked like registering a shot on target... we end the game with 4 full backs on the pitch ... I mean come on ... For duck sake 

We ain’t going to win a game of football Like that are we 

?

9 hours ago, Squid said:

Fickle bar stewards, only last week everyone was singing his praise now everyones calling his football worse than Rowett’s etc

Grow up, we’ll be rate.

Maybe it's because the performances are fickle. Do you expect everyone to be positive with their comments because we did OK the week before?

1 hour ago, DRBee said:

Mardy drama queen is a better description of your good self -   in as much it reflects your own inability to tolerate adverse comment about the match even when  well deserved.

No shots is far from the whole story, as equally deserving of mention were the misplaced passes or woeful crosses. 

I wonder what an objective neutral watching the match would have made of it?  Rooney ... who ? was it really him playing?

It was the opposite of the Crystal Palace performance , with too many changes.

Yes, opposite of the Crystal Palace performance where we didn't make too many changes. Just the nine.

Last night was a very similar team to Palace, maybe we missed Lawrence?

It was a pretty crap performance if anyone had a shred of honesty, status quo to mitigate seems to be that Northampton dragged us down to their level and didn't allow us to play. Am sorry am not buying that more likely we allowed Northampton to drag us down. At least Northampton had some form of game plan I can't even tell you what ours was. Extremely uninspiring and worrying. Only positive was that we didn't concede in an away game for once. 

I think we have many problems tactics are poor as many people say bodies in the box hardly any.

We need to play a system of 

4-3-1-2 Rooney playing as the No 10 pointless where he is playing and to be honest he has been poor and still looks overweight.

Currently I agree with others Huddlestone can do same job or even better. The other system we could try is 4-4-1-1 we need runners from midfield and last night we missed Holmes.

Team for Tuesday 

Roos

Bogle      Wisdom    Clarke  Lowe

Holmes  Bird  Huddlestone Knight

Rooney

Marriott

Or  

Roos 

Bogle   Wisdom  Clarke Lowe

Holmes  Huddlestone Knight

Rooney

Martin    Marriott 

Personally I don’t think we need another centre half we need a Striker badly.

7 hours ago, Sparkle said:

I was there tonight - some excellent music before kick off! 

roos - decent but some dodgy moments 

wisdom - defended well 

Davies - looked jaded to me 

Forsyth - headed the ball away so many times

Malone - he just not very good  

bird - not involved very much 

sibley - again not involved very much 

knight - damm good - our bright spark 

Rooney - average 

Martin - did ok with fairly poor service 

Marriott - we look more capable with him but little change for him

subs - Waghorn - not involved much

bogle - looks unsure when asked to play in midfield 

Whittaker - always seems a little star struck when he comes on but a couple of decent moments but he needs to make his mind up quicker and he will be much more effective 

A fair assessment.

I assume Marriott will be injured now for the next two or three games.

52 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

My concern, and this is a recurring one throughout our season it’s something Iv seen... as have many and savage talked about in commentary last night 

but what are actually trying to do ?

how are we trying to beat the opposition ?

to quote savage last night ‘ I don’t know what Derby’s game plan is’ Northampton’s is get it forward at every opportunity, but I don’t know what Derby are trying to do’

he nailed it ... in one first half of watching us he nailed what my frustrations are with cocu

i don’t know we’re trying to do ?

We don’t get bodies in the box, we seldom ( I counted TwIce ) have midfield runners going past out front men, we don’t support our front man, We don’t get crosses in of any quality... not that there’s a lot to hit in there 

we don’t try and turn the opposition, we don’t try and work the flanks , we occasionally give the ball to bogle or lowe, stand back and see if they can beat their man and get a cross in to the one it maybe two bodies in the box.. invariably of late they’ve been losing it 

we play and attack at a snails pace opting for the safe sideways or back pass rather than trying to Play between the lines 

some of it is having the players to do this but there are so so many fundamentals that we see not happening on a weekly basis is my massive concern 

We gaa as we to stick with it and cocu, we don’t have a choice , the last thing we need is more upheaval, I just sit there thinking another manager could cut loose some of the conservative shackles and we could see a lot more from this lot despite their obvious limitations 

maybe I’m just being fantisiful 

anyway ... onto Luton let’s hope for a little more urgency and purpose and 3 points  

We hold position. Shape. That’s what we do. Cocu and his men are trying to make us hard to beat first. Stop us losing games. And it’s working. It’s step 1. And he’s looks close to implementing it. Patience. 

It a bit like playing championship manager at the moment.  You throw players on a pitch you've inherited who have some reasonable stats on paper and hope it works.  After a while you realise something isn't clicking and start getting bored.

We aren't a bad team at the moment but we are miles off being a good one and until we work out a solid game plan week in week out surely its difficult to recruit the right players to fit?!

33 minutes ago, Richard246 said:

Personally I don’t think we need another centre half we need a Striker badly.   

We have more strikers than you can shake a stick at - that isn't the problem. When chances are created for the strikers then they will score, remember Dean Moxey?!

Lets be realistic. Cocu is new to english football up until last night he hadnt played against a team playing like Northampton.Plus maybe he had in mind that they had another game in 96 hours.

Also after many years of experiencing the FA,one thing stands out most seasons in most rounds theres always shock results like lower league teams managing to get draws at home before getting thumped in return game.Lets hope last night it was our turn to comew up against the magic of the cup

10 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Ok, thanks for your permission & yes I absolutely do blame the referee for a decision so poor, it must have been on Juventus' payroll. Unlike you though I have an idea of context & perspective and hence I couldn't give a monkeys whether we beat Northampton bloody whatever in one game or two. Its utterly irrelevant.

I want us to go to the Premier League, survive comfortably, then win things & the one guaranteed way NOT to do that is sack your manager every 2 months simply because someone expects us to pump every League Two team 5-0. Ergo, the constant whining makes you sound like an over-entitled kid...its football, stuff happens. We'll be better for it if we dont lose our collective shizzle.

Hope that helps ?

Over entitled kid? Really? Mate I’ve been following this club for nearly 40 years and have seen far worse believe me. If you can honestly say this manager has done anything so far this season that has made anything better you are deluding yourself. Game after game it’s tedious clueless nothingness, no plan and I have no idea what we are trying to do. You know what? I don’t expect us to ‘pump’ every lower league side but I do expect to see my lot have at least one shot on target against a team 2 divisions lower. 
As for ‘constant whining’ it’s because I think that Cocu is taking us nowhere fast. That said, I know he’s not going anywhere - our club is a perfect storm of crap chairman and crap manager and we haven’t got a pot to piss in to change it, but until I see something that suggests otherwise, I’ll continue to call out Cocu for what he is in my opinion, a poor manager playing the worst football I’ve seen in years.

Archived