v Northampton Town (A) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

13 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

went to the game friday , it was exactly what i was expecting , big tough , direct opposition , good home support, but i thought we stood up to it well , not a lot of creation but northampton nullified our forward momentum well , in my opinion we missed the forward running of lawrence and holmes , rooney needs to play just behind the front 2 this will help with creation , the replay will be just as tough , big shout out to wiz and knight who i thought were our best players

I Thought Wiz was motm on either side to be honest In the last month the maaaaaaaaaaaaaan is back.

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, FindernRam said:

In the prediction thread the average rating for this game so far is 5. To me a five is bang on average. How have our standards fallen so low? We play a 2 leagues lower side. Only mange a draw and do not register a single shot on target. That is not average that is pathetic. Worth a three at best only because we didn't concede.

Average typically gets a rating somewhere between 6 and 7. For example, Whoscored ratings have a base point of 6, with the average rating of a player being 6.7. Games such as football manager generally have a base point of 6.7, with a ‘good’ performance being higher than that and a ‘bad’ performance being lower. Based on both of those rating systems, it’s exceptionally rare to get a rating below 6, never mind as low as 5.

54 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Just to put this in perspective.  The current European and world champions have been pegged back to 2 - 2 by Shrewsbury 

think complaints about Friday were more to do with level of performance rather than score.

1 hour ago, DRBee said:

think complaints about Friday were more to do with level of performance rather than score.

So the best team in the world drew with Shrewsbury and by their standards that's an acceptable performance in your opinion, but our lot drawing with Northampton isn't. Well that seems perfectly reasonable!

Let's be honest here, if we'd drawn with Shrewsbury half the forum would be losing their poo just the same way they have over the Northampton performance.

6 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Definitely nothing to do with most of Liverpool’s top players not being involved for the majority of the game.

Yeah, because nobody was expecting them to win that game with a weakened side, were they?

What's good for the goose...

1 minute ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Yeah, because nobody was expecting them to win that game with a weakened side, were they?

What's good for the goose...

It’s less shocking that they didn’t win with the side they put out, that’s for sure.

All well and good calling them the best team in the world (which I agree they are) when most of the players which make them that weren’t even on the pitch.

5 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

It’s less shocking that they didn’t win with the side they put out, that’s for sure.

All well and good calling them the best team in the world (which I agree they are) when most of the players which make them that weren’t even on the pitch.

Yep, with just the likes of Matip, Salah, Lovren, Fabinho, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Firmino and Origi involved they were far less likely to get a result than our line-up on Friday. Jeez!

1 minute ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Yep, with just the likes of Matip, Salah, Lovren, Fabinho, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Firmino and Origi involved they were far less likely to get a result than our line-up on Friday. Jeez!

Salah and Firmino came on towards the end when it was already 2-2. 

I’m not looking to argue about it, but the team Liverpool put out was vastly inferior to their best 11 than ours on Friday.

6 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

And its not that the performance  on Friday was a one off rather the latest in a long-running series. Zero shots on target against a league 2 team, at least the Liverpool juniors got a 2-0 lead before slipping back to a draw.

At least we didnt let a League Two team score 2 goals though...

It was a poor game.

Positive points:

Roos- best he's looked in a while Clearly been practising crosses as kept coming and claiming confidently. One minor scare with that pass in the first half, but even on the replay that didn't look so bad.

Knight - looked alright, but had *ZERO* protection from the ref (and indeed, the same could be said of Bird, Marriott, Sibley) 

We didn't lose

We get to give the kids more match practise in the return leg.

We will know our prospective opponents, so will know whether it's worth winning or not.

On 24/01/2020 at 22:00, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

HOOOFF ball, we allowed ourselves to lower our standards to that of the opposition! We lacked flair, creativity and a basic level of calmness/confidence in our own abilities. 

Exactly - we dragged down to their level and it was a dire game of football,

Consolation  - I am not a Northampton Fan

10 hours ago, erathirea said:

It was a poor game.

Positive points:

Roos- best he's looked in a while Clearly been practising crosses as kept coming and claiming confidently. One minor scare with that pass in the first half, but even on the replay that didn't look so bad.

Knight - looked alright, but had *ZERO* protection from the ref (and indeed, the same could be said of Bird, Marriott, Sibley) 

We didn't lose

We get to give the kids more match practise in the return leg.

We will know our prospective opponents, so will know whether it's worth winning or not.

There are rumours that the ref has been severely bollocked for his performance - not just the missed peno, but for the whole match. Am waiting for some form of confirmation as it is most unlike the EFL to punish bad refs!

Archived