Tom Lawrence appreciation thread

Big Trav

2 hours ago, Curtains said:

Did Tom Ince touch the ball last night. 

Forsyth was on the deck at one point, spinning as if he had worms, and juggled the ball keeping Ince at bay. Magical. Hope someone can find it. Apologies for adding this to your thread Tom tom and jerry smile GIF

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As someone else said, the roar from the crowd when Tom gets stuck in is special. We all want the lad to do that all the time and he could become a favourite. The frustration with him is when he isn’t peforming and doesn’t remember that reaction from the crowd when he grafts more often. Regardless of form, we do, rightly, expect maximum effort and when Tom does that, regardless of his overall performance, he gets backed. Fans can be harsh but we’ll always applaud graft. 

Really nice to see lots of positive comments and appreciation for Tom Lawrence last night.Overall solid performance and overall play very good.Would of loved that rocket of a shot to have gone in Last night for him after him hitting cross bar against Luton.

Lets get behind this team and it’s players now and move up table and win the Cup ?

I can't stand the lad and hope he moves on as soon as possible, but he was great last night and I was so happy that the crowd got behind him after that challenge and it really seemed to lift him.

He then went about doing what we pay him for and that was massive help to the team because we were playing with 11 men.

Someone needs to play that crowd noise to him every time he starts to get his head down or petulant in a game so he remembers how much we appreciate someone putting a shift in.

20 hours ago, Alpha said:

The roar from the crowd when he defended aggressively on the halfway line was great.

Yes, agreed, it’s a kind of show us what you’ve got son .. we want to love you so much, you just need to show you care.

he’s got it .. I just think that too often he either doesn’t think he has or thinks the worlds against him. 

Anyway .. I’ll have our Tom over Paul Ince’s offspring on current form 

10 hours ago, Raich Van Carter said:

As someone else said, the roar from the crowd when Tom gets stuck in is special. We all want the lad to do that all the time and he could become a favourite. The frustration with him is when he isn’t peforming and doesn’t remember that reaction from the crowd when he grafts more often. Regardless of form, we do, rightly, expect maximum effort and when Tom does that, regardless of his overall performance, he gets backed. Fans can be harsh but we’ll always applaud graft. 

Yes consistency makes the difference between an average player and a very good player. Turning up 1 game in 4 isn't ever going to be enough and that's been they way since Lawrence arrived. 

5 hours ago, Derbyram1 said:

Excellent again tonight, never stopped running and some great touches.

Looks to be enjoying his football again, long may it continue ??

I'm no TL hater, and I agree he didn't stop running... unfortunately on one occasion towards the end, he should have stopped running... to put in a challenge.  He poo'd out of nothing more than a 50/50 against what was clearly going to be a firm but fair tackle, by jumping over both ball and man, while in full flow.  I almost boo'd!  

5 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I'm no TL hater, and I agree he didn't stop running... unfortunately on one occasion towards the end, he should have stopped running... to put in a challenge.  He poo'd out of nothing more than a 50/50 against what was clearly going to be a firm but fair tackle, by jumping over both ball and man, while in full flow.  I almost boo'd!  

Was that near end of game when we were winning 4-2 game over.Honestly if he’d put a tackle in and got booked you’d be moaning about that.Lawrence had another good game and give him credit rather than call him out for one mistake in your eyes

1 minute ago, dcfc4ever said:

Was that near end of game when we were winning 4-2 game over.Honestly if he’d put a tackle in and got booked you’d be moaning about that.Lawrence had another good game and give him credit rather than call him out for one mistake in your eyes

Without watching lengthy highlights, can see he was key to the win with an important role in the second goal and winning the penalty too.

6 hours ago, dcfc4ever said:

How the hell do you know what I would have been moaning about?
I don't deny he had a good game.  More often than not, I come away thinking the same, as far as TL is concerned, so if you are assuming I am one of the many TL naysayers on here, then assume again, as you'll find little in the way of evidence.

The incident (or lack thereof) I'm referring to didn't need a tackle (by TL).  It needed someone to not poo out of a challenge.  It needed someone to at least try to proceed.  To continue the attack.  TL had the ball.  TL was making the run.  TL was the attacker.  It was the defender's job to stop it... and him... but in the end, all he did was make an approach.  TL avoided the ball.  TL avoided the defender.  TL avoided his responsibilities as a pro footballer.  On this single occasion, yes, I will call him out.  He poo'd out of nothing more than a 50/50.

Remember, the only sound in the ground was a slight "Hummpf" as he jumped over ball and sliding man.  Those slight sounds were aimed at TL.  There were no "Oohs", "Arghhs", nor sharp intakes of breath, as some marauding animal came sliding in on him.  He didn't avoid a nasty tackle by his evasive leap.  It was just a good old fashioned poo out!  I imagine a few of his team mates would have said something too... though not publicly of course, so we'll never know. 
Pooing out of an innocuous challenge is pretty much second only to hacking someone down and smashing their bones, for a pro footballer... or at least, it should be!

...And if I can't come on a DCFC football forum once in a blue moon to share my disappointment in a footballer wearing a Rams shirt clearly backing out of a 50/50 challenge (at most!) then please advise what can be discussed on here... and when.

...Oh... and be careful not to fall off that high horse you're sitting on.  

Always been a Lawrence fan but I’d come to the end of the road with him a few weeks ago. After probably his most consistent spell during his time here through October and November his performances fell away again. The last 3 games he’s been excellent, even Steve Nicholson who I think is overly harsh on Tom at times is giving him good ratings. Once again though we’re left wondering- can it continue?

As for today, outstanding shot for waggy goal, a constant threat, cleared one off the line, put in an excellent shift and caps it off with a cracking goal for the winner. Excellent all round performance. The Tom  Lawrence we’ve seen today is a major asset to our club.

Archived