Tom Lawrence appreciation thread

Big Trav

7 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Still running into brick walls.  Still giving the ball away.  Still mis-firing shots off target.  Still going missing for chunks of a game...

But the good stuff is showing in more games, for longer periods in each game, and for more consecutive games.  He's getting better, more consistent, and more reliable.

It's a slow process, but he's still progressing towards what many of us hoped for, and expected of him.  He most certainly isn't going backwards, even though he isn't progressing quite as well/fast as I'd hoped.

My enjoyment of seeing his good stuff is not only still there, but is evident more and more often in individual games, and for more and more games.

There's a long way to go, but he's on the right road, heading in the right direction, and the traffic ahead appears to be clear.

Still a thumbs up from me on one hand... the other hand has fingers crossed!

Don’t you think you sound a bit condescending 

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Still running into brick walls.  Still giving the ball away.  Still mis-firing shots off target.  Still going missing for chunks of a game...

But the good stuff is showing in more games, for longer periods in each game, and for more consecutive games.  He's getting better, more consistent, and more reliable.

It's a slow process, but he's still progressing towards what many of us hoped for, and expected of him.  He most certainly isn't going backwards, even though he isn't progressing quite as well/fast as I'd hoped.

My enjoyment of seeing his good stuff is not only still there, but is evident more and more often in individual games, and for more and more games.

There's a long way to go, but he's on the right road, heading in the right direction, and the traffic ahead appears to be clear.

What brick walls did he run into too?

sorry he retained the ball very well yesterday, I don’t recall one misplaced pass and in fact there was several occasions where he had 3 Huddersfield players on him and he still managed to find a white shirt

one wild shot well wide when he had a little more time but at least he’s having a shot and gaining the confidence to shoot now crowd is getting off his back

missing chunks of game not sure what games your watching but his effort going forwards and defensively is way above some of our other players...goal line clearance comes to mind straight away

we have Wayne Rooney and he looked average yesterday so to call out Lawrence on above is just ?

6 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Don’t you think you sound a bit condescending 

Not sure that's for me to answer? 
It certainly wasn't my intention, but then I'm no Bard!

Condescending to whom?  Readers/fellow posters?  Tom Lawrence?  Just you?  Can you elaborate?

He's not progressing as well as I thought he would, or hoped he would, but he's still (most certainly) progressing, and I still have high hopes for him... Here at DCFC, I hasten to add.  

What more... or less(?)... should I have said?   I repeat... Can you elaborate?  I'd hate to think my mere ramblings would offend anyone.

Just now, Mucker1884 said:

Not sure that's for me to answer? 
It certainly wasn't my intention, but then I'm no Bard!

Condescending to whom?  Readers/fellow posters?  Tom Lawrence?  Just you?  Can you elaborate?

He's not progressing as well as I thought he would, or hoped he would, but he's still (most certainly) progressing, and I still have high hopes for him... Here at DCFC, I hasten to add.  

What more... or less(?)... should I have said?   I repeat... Can you elaborate?  I'd hate to think my mere ramblings would offend anyone.

Condescending in general on your opinion of Tom Lawrence who was brilliant yesterday 

2 minutes ago, dcfc4ever said:

What brick walls did he run into too?

sorry he retained the ball very well yesterday, I don’t recall one misplaced pass and in fact there was several occasions where he had 3 Huddersfield players on him and he still managed to find a white shirt

one wild shot well wide when he had a little more time but at least he’s having a shot and gaining the confidence to shoot now crowd is getting off his back

missing chunks of game not sure what games your watching but his effort going forwards and defensively is way above some of our other players...goal line clearance comes to mind straight away

we have Wayne Rooney and he looked average yesterday so to call out Lawrence on above is just ?

I'm talking generally... over the past 2/3 months.  I use the term "brick walls" to infer defenders of the opposing team, but if you want me to point out specific incidents, be that from yesterday's game or previous games, then sorry, you have me beat!  You win!
Are you saying he never runs at a defender and has the ball taken away from him/loses possession?  As I say, he's still doing it, but less so as each game goes by, from what I'm seeing.  And before you say this can/does apply to all/many other players, whilst I'd agree with you, this is the Tom Lawrence thread, so other players are (or should be) out of the equation for this debate.

You point out the "one wild shot well wide"... thank you for clarifying my opinion, by the way... but again I agree, It's great to see him giving it a go, and long may that continue.  I'm happy to watch him try all game long.

Am I the only one to point out that he probably didn't have his finest first half yesterday?  Looking at these pages, I'd say not.  And how many times did he get a mention in commo at Bristol the other night.  I concede my memory's not the best, but I seem to remember him getting a mention towards the end of the first half, and me thinking "I'd forgotten he was playing"?

As I say... Tom Lawrence... other players are for other threads, otherwise the whole thread goes off topic.

This is the "Tom Lawrence appreciation thread".  I probably appreciate Tom Lawrence, and his input to DCFC ,more than very many on here.  If my posts don't reflect that, I'm happy to apologise for my poor writing skills, but not my opinion. 

34 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Did Roy McFarland and Colin Todd ever give the ball away ! 

4 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I'm talking generally... over the past 2/3 months.  I use the term "brick walls" to infer defenders of the opposing team, but if you want me to point out specific incidents, be that from yesterday's game or previous games, then sorry, you have me beat!  You win!
Are you saying he never runs at a defender and has the ball taken away from him/loses possession?  As I say, he's still doing it, but less so as each game goes by, from what I'm seeing.  And before you say this can/does apply to all/many other players, whilst I'd agree with you, this is the Tom Lawrence thread, so other players are (or should be) out of the equation for this debate.

You point out the "one wild shot well wide"... thank you for clarifying my opinion, by the way... but again I agree, It's great to see him giving it a go, and long may that continue.  I'm happy to watch him try all game long.

Am I the only one to point out that he probably didn't have his finest first half yesterday?  Looking at these pages, I'd say not.  And how many times did he get a mention in commo at Bristol the other night.  I concede my memory's not the best, but I seem to remember him getting a mention towards the end of the first half, and me thinking "I'd forgotten he was playing"?

As I say... Tom Lawrence... other players are for other threads, otherwise the whole thread goes off topic.

This is the "Tom Lawrence appreciation thread".  I probably appreciate Tom Lawrence, and his input to DCFC ,more than very many on here.  If my posts don't reflect that, I'm happy to apologise for my poor writing skills, but not my opinion. 

So because a player tries something if it doesn’t work out that’s not on. 

What about the players afraid to do anything in case it goes wrong are they brilliant 

10 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Condescending in general on your opinion of Tom Lawrence who was brilliant yesterday 

I thought he "OK" first half.  "Very good" second half.  Do we have to have a winner, or are differing opinions ok?  

As I say, I guess your accusation of me being condescending isn't for me to answer.  I guess that's what the "reactions" are for?
I clearly can't see it myself.  I write how I write!  Apologies if that offends.

1 minute ago, Curtains said:

So because a player tries something if it doesn’t work out that’s not on. 

What about the players afraid to do anything in case it goes wrong are they brilliant 

Where on Earth did I say "That's not on"?  What are you even reading?  ?

Are we to go way off topic now, to discuss other players on a thread specifically set up to discuss our appreciation of Tom Lawrence?  Are you trying to get me into trouble with admin?  I thought off-topic was a forum no-no?

For the record, no, I don't appreciate players who don't try, or are afraid things might go wrong. 
And I repeat, watching Tom Lawrence attempt a long shot adds immensely to my match day enjoyment... particularly when they come off!  

40 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I don’t recall him getting tackled (running in to brick walls) yesterday. I also only remember 1 shot, from which he scored. There was a shockingly bad attempt to pass to Waghorn with the outside of his boot, which actually came off the inside of his boot and rolled out of play (some thought it was a shot though). 
He was also involved in the dirty work in and around our own box, tackling and picking up loose balls. 

5 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Where on Earth did I say "That's not on"?  What are you even reading?  ?

Are we to go way off topic now, to discuss other players on a thread specifically set up to discuss our appreciation of Tom Lawrence?  Are you trying to get me into trouble with admin?  I thought off-topic was a forum no-no?

For the record, no, I don't appreciate players who don't try, or are afraid things might go wrong. 
And I repeat, watching Tom Lawrence attempt a long shot adds immensely to my match day enjoyment... particularly when they come off!  

Do you actually know what condescending means . Oh hang that’s me being condescending lol. 

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I don’t recall him getting tackled (running in to brick walls) yesterday. I also only remember 1 shot, from which he scored. There was a shockingly bad attempt to pass to Waghorn with the outside of his boot, which actually came off the inside of his boot and rolled out of play (some thought it was a shot though). 
He was also involved in the dirty work in and around our own box, tackling and picking up loose balls. 

Yes he did one awful pass that Curtis bailed him out from. 

3 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Did you ever criticize them ! 

With a zee?  No not personally!

No, I guess I didn't criticise them, but I may have been guilty of mentioning such events in a post game discussion.  Have I criticised Tom Lawrence here, or just pointed out his imperfections?

I think we seem to be on completely different wavelengths here, and I'm clearly doing an exceedingly poor job of portraying my appreciation of Tom Lawrence.  He ain't perfect... no player is, as you well know... but he's good enough for me.  He's good enough for Championship Derby County... in my opinion.  But if we have to state each and every DCFC player is perfect, or aren't allowed to point out any perceived imperfections, then we (the forum) have very little to discuss on a day to day basis, particularly on individual player-specific threads?

2 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

With a zee?  No not personally!

No, I guess I didn't criticise them, but I may have been guilty of mentioning such events in a post game discussion.  Have I criticised Tom Lawrence here, or just pointed out his imperfections?

I think we seem to be on completely different wavelengths here, and I'm clearly doing an exceedingly poor job of portraying my appreciation of Tom Lawrence.  He ain't perfect... no player is, as you well know... but he's good enough for me.  He's good enough for Championship Derby County... in my opinion.  But if we have to state each and every DCFC player is perfect, or aren't allowed to point out any perceived imperfections, then we (the forum) have very little to discuss on a day to day basis, particularly on individual player-specific threads?

Now that I totally agree with. 

WOW!

I wish I hated the guy now!  My appreciation of him clearly isn't appreciated on here!  ? 

...And for the record, I thought we were discussing him in general terms... over a recent period, perhaps?
I hadn't realised all comments must be limited to his most recent individual performance. 
Yet another apology from me.  I clearly hadn't read the rules!  ?‍♂️ 

Just now, Mucker1884 said:

WOW!

I wish I hated the guy now!  My appreciation of him clearly isn't appreciated on here!  ? 

...And for the record, I thought we were discussing him in general terms... over a recent period, perhaps?
I hadn't realised all comments must be limited to his most recent individual performance. 
Yet another apology from me.  I clearly hadn't read the rules!  ?‍♂️ 

Mate come on I’m always getting stick on here. 

Don’t take it to heart. 

Think how Tom Lawrence feels he’s always getting stick some deserved some not. 

6 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

With a zee

It's a zed. Unless your first name's Duncan and you're as American as Apple pie like he is.

Duncan by the way, I believe, fits nicely into this category...

8 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

each and every DCFC player is perfect

You'd never see Dunc running around with his fingers in his ears ?

Archived