Tom Lawrence appreciation thread

Big Trav

Our tom get a lot of stick. Like a lot. I would say hes our scapegoat that many fans use against him. He receives a lot of abuse rightly or wrongly. I just wanted to give my  two sense on this situation. The problem with Tom is he needs to play as a 10 behind 2 strikers. Out wide he has to cut in as his crossing isn’t the greatest. Also the lads a massive confidence player. Massively. Do you think 20,000 shouting abuse at him will help his confidence?? He always tries hard and presses well however he can be lazy tracking back. The lads been involved with a lot outside the world of football. He’s lost his bloody mother not long ago. And this has led to him drinking a load which ended up with joinersgate. He looks broken inside. I’m just begging you to please not scapegoat Tom. He isn’t a bad football he’s not the worst player you’ve ever seen just get behind the lad show him extra appreciation we need to make sure he knows we’ve got his back not get angry and shout abuse at him. 

I do think Tom needs a break from football to really sort himself out. You can tell he’s heartbroken just by the way he never plays with a smile anymore. 

Im begging each and every single person that reads this post to just think before you shout abuse at any Derby player but tom in particular. He needs picking up from the ground not being kicked while on the ground. 

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He gets so much unfair stick. He’s been tarred with the same brush Ince was. 

No he’s not perfect, but this level of criticism and commentary about his consistency is ridiculous. If he was consistent he wouldn’t be in this league with all the other inconsistent wingers. 

p.s. duck Ramage for continually perpetuating the Lawrence hate brigade 

1 minute ago, Srg said:

No he’s not perfect, but this level of criticism and commentary about his consistency is ridiculous. If he was consistent he wouldn’t be in this league with all the other inconsistent wingers. 

He isn’t fit to be mentioned in the same scents me as Ince. I can’t think of 5 games that he has been brilliant in during his whole time here. 

8 minutes ago, Srg said:

Nahhh, as much as I think Ince has been shown up for being a poo bamford (literally and swear filtery) I struggle to envisage a situation where even if we made Lawrence central to all of our attacking play he'd produce much of anything to change people's minds.

He's like Marcus Madison & Ince, you either build your team around him or he does duck all,.except he's somehow worse than both in general play.

6 minutes ago, Srg said:

Did you actually listen?

ramage simply responded to a question from Chris coles sparked by fans comments. Ramage said in fairness to TL he’s not a left winger. Everyone knows he’s a no10.

He has been bellow par this season, coupled with his involvement in the [REDACTED] debacle I think it's entirely fair that he has had his share of criticism.

He is capable of brilliance but that just adds to the frustration for a lot of people because it is so fleeting. 

I agree that he needs a break, it will do him and the fans some good. As it stands he creates more problems than he solves in the team, nothing that cant be fixed but taking him out of the firing line whilst the coaching team work on it wouldn't hurt.

Yeah, the lad's frustrating but I've always thought a bit of him. Had a crap time of it recently with his mum passing and then perhaps shouldering more blame than his share for the Keogh fiasco. Being booed by your own fans can't be easy and if there is some bad feeling amongst the players over the incident then that'll only make things harder.

On the pitch, another in and out performance today but he's been involved in two of our last 3 goals and more than did his bit in the win against Palace, so I'll focus on that not the negatives and hope the lad's not in too bad a place right now. The team seems to be pulling together after a rocky patch and to my eye he seems to be trying to be a bit more of a team player under Cocu's guidance so there's some progress at least. 

42 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Did you actually listen?

ramage simply responded to a question from Chris coles sparked by fans comments. Ramage said in fairness to TL he’s not a left winger. Everyone knows he’s a no10.

Yes I did, to the 15 minutes rant at about half 5. Which is yet another, weekly occurrence. Not sure Ramage watches the same games any of us do, this is after he criticised Holmes, Bogle and Lowe post match today. 

Just now, Srg said:

Yes I did, to the 15 minutes rant at about half 5. Which is yet another, weekly occurrence. Not sure Ramage watches the same games any of us do, this is after he criticised Holmes, Bogle and Lowe post match today. 

Digging out Bogle and Lowe, who are two of our younger players wasn't particularly savoury.

I think it's more frustration of knowing how good he can be that comes out.

I'm pretty sure if someone with the time and know how looked into his stats he probably does the work, but people only remember the wrong decision or the scowl he makes.

He could be as good for us as Tom Ince was, but he isn't. I think some fans look at the body language and decide he's not as good as tom ince because he isn't trying (which I don't actually think is the case)

8 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think it's more frustration of knowing how good he can be that comes out.

I'm pretty sure if someone with the time and know how looked into his stats he probably does the work, but people only remember the wrong decision or the scowl he makes.

He could be as good for us as Tom Ince was, but he isn't. I think some fans look at the body language and decide he's not as good as tom ince because he isn't trying (which I don't actually think is the case)

That sums things up for me. We have seen Tom can be a match winner, do things few in our squad can do -but not often enough

He’s a very frustrating player, but I do think he gets unfair levels of criticism compared to other players. He’s an average player, simple as that. Has moments of magic, and scores some good goals every now and then, and then goes a few games without really having any impact at all. Like most Low rate championship players. He’s not good enough, but he’s hardly terrible. There’s worse players in our squad without doubt. And regardless of how bad players are, abusing players during a match just isn’t right. Criticise performances on here etc etc, that’s Fine, but shouting abuse is never acceptable and never helps anyone. He probably deserved the boos he got after the joiners incident, but he’s been going through a tough time and I’m not surprised his confidence is fragile, so let’s not be detrimental by the team by wrecking his belief now when we need every player we can get in form. 

FWIW I actually thought, after reflection after the game, that it was a much much much improved performance from Lawrence today. I initially levelled some criticism at him at half time because he didn’t appear to be getting involved enough, but thinking more about it I think it was a quiet performance in a good way. An understated, mature performance. Less of the greedy shooting from stupid angles which is my main frustration, and more focus on just doing his job. Making the right passes going forward, and supporting Lowe in his difficult task stopping Bowen (which we did successfully). So I’m not actually sure it’s as simple as he’s better as a number 10. There’s more pressure on him in that role to help support the main striker and I’m not sure he has the physicality. I’m still very much undecided on whether he’s better there or on the wing. Today proved he can do the latter when he puts his mind to it.

It really does make me wonder at what point do people think he has been punished enough? Is it just me that looks at him and sees an absolutely lost and broken man? Yes he might go out with his mates and get drunk, he might even act like the big man, the rooster of the walk, but you can see he feels directionless and disillusioned.

I wish people would ask themselves how they would feel if they had lost their mum while taking unfair flak from a few thousand every week who had no idea what was going on. Then they get in an awful accident due to their coping mechanism which they get the most blame for, all the while trying to recapture the love for football and every mistake they make is amplified.

Its a wonder he has the mental strength to step on that field every week. 

49 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Digging out Bogle and Lowe, who are two of our younger players wasn't particularly savoury.

He just said the quality of the final ball was poor and if you want them to improve then you have to tell them what they need to work on.

Archived