Tom Lawrence appreciation thread

Big Trav

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Ramshankered said:

Thought this worth posting here. Some good insights on how losing a parent early can affect your performances: 

These days I tend to see Lawrence as a lost cause. Easy to forget though that the loss of his Mum is probably a major factor in his recent flat performances. 

I do have sympathy for him and I can't deny it must make his development as a player harder. 

But he's the same player he's always been

17 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I do have sympathy for him and I can't deny it must make his development as a player harder. 

But he's the same player he's always been

Weirdly, I don't disagree sadly. Not just last week, I was messaging someone about my desire to see him sold.  

Watching the Anton Ferdinand video did make me take stock a little though. From a fan's PoV all we see is a player trying our patience. But we can't see what's going on inside his head (and how that's effecting his output on the pitch). I'm guilty of that as much as anyone.

Guess it'll make me think twice (or at least choose my words more carefully) before having a dig next time though.

6 hours ago, Ramshankered said:

Thought this worth posting here. Some good insights on how losing a parent early can affect your performances: 

These days I tend to see Lawrence as a lost cause. Easy to forget though that the loss of his Mum is probably a major factor in his recent flat performances. 

I think fans are aware the TL has had some emotional turmoil to deal with and are sympathetic. People in all walks of life have to deal with the loss of a loved one, and also get on with their lives and jobs. Not all employers are as understanding as a pro football club. 

19 hours ago, europia said:

I think fans are aware the TL has had some emotional turmoil to deal with and are sympathetic. People in all walks of life have to deal with the loss of a loved one, and also get on with their lives and jobs. Not all employers are as understanding as a pro football club. 

Most of our fans don’t consider what he’s been/going through.Just look at the abuse he’s getting on line and from crowd whilst trying to play football

you think he’s had SOME emotional turmoil........suggest you rethink that answer or talk to someone in there 20s whose lost there mum

You comment on an article posted about a players mental health and ref Lawrence ,yet you applaud a poster above who calls him a snake.Sorry you need to take a hard look at yourself

On 21/01/2020 at 22:20, neil62uk said:

Never rated him and never will ...had 1 good season whilst at Ipswich ...FESTER must have seen THE SNAKE coming .. bet there still laughing now ...would much sooner see him sold on  

I’d prefer it if you declined from ever posting again.

Absolutely pitiful.

16 minutes ago, dcfc4ever said:

Most of our fans don’t consider what he’s been/going through.Just look at the abuse he’s getting on line and from crowd whilst trying to play football

you think he’s had SOME emotional turmoil........suggest you rethink that answer or talk to someone in there 20s whose lost there mum

You comment on an article posted about a players mental health and ref Lawrence ,yet you applaud a poster above who calls him a snake.Sorry you need to take a hard look at yourself

Bang on. I think if there's one thing you should expect to be supported and receive sympathy for, its the loss of a parent at a young age. Things are upside down nowadays, we feel more sorry for people who have a slight mishap, and rage at people who are really struggling. 

4 hours ago, dcfc4ever said:

sorry you need to take a hard look at yourself

The forum is about opinions and people's views are likely to differ. I prefer to comment on the topic rather than criticize the poster. 

I don't feel the need to take your advice in this instance. Thanks all the same. 

There is a footballer in there trying to get out. For whatever reasons, personal or professional he is compromised. He has the potential to be a very good player. Hopefully one day it will click, because otherwise it's a waste of talent.

My patience with his performances over they past few years has declined, but I still think he has talent which just hasn't fully materialised.

He's still you young enough to grasp the nettle and really push on to the next level, my worry is he's got too many issues to fulfil his full potential. Hope I'm wrong.

On 20/01/2020 at 19:37, G STAR RAM said:

We could have all abuse and swearing and shouting stopped at football matches I suppose.

Not sure how much fun it would be though.

Agree completely. If you can't swear at and abuse your own team, there's scarcely any point in even going... 

23 hours ago, neil62uk said:

It's all opinions..if my posts excaserbate. you ..there is always the ignore botton

Your posts are one thing, but it's your spelling, punctuation and syntax that makes me want to pop you on ignore matey! ?

On thread, I wonder why Jack 'cow's arse and a banjo' Marriott is eulogised by many of the same folk who relentlessly slaughter Lawrence week in, week out?

Seems to me there's one metric for the likes of Tom and another altogether for most of the rest of the squad. 

24 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

On thread, I wonder why Jack 'cow's arse and a banjo' Marriott is eulogised by many of the same folk who relentlessly slaughter Lawrence week in, week out?

Seems to me there's one metric for the likes of Tom and another altogether for most of the rest of the squad. 

Your right, they are judged differently, fairly or not.

Two reasons immediately spring to mind.

1. Pricetag.

Not Tom's fault but it plays a part, nothing to do with Tom but it changes perception.

2. Conduct.

Jack likes to smash his metal into a small ball, Tom likes to smash his into a teammates car while pissed up.

5 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Your right, they are judged differently, fairly or not.

Two reasons immediately spring to mind.

1. Pricetag.

Not Tom's fault but it plays a part, nothing to do with Tom but it changes perception.

2. Conduct.

Jack likes to smash his metal into a small ball, Tom likes to smash his into a teammates car while pissed up.

Not really sure how the latter would affect rational evaluations of what happens on the pitch, rather than off it. Understand Tom's behaviour has upset a good few but does that mean they need go blind on matchdays? Anyway, I'll say no more. Trying to shed my happy-clapper rep you know!

1 minute ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Not really sure how the latter would affect rational evaluations of what happens on the pitch, rather than off it. Understand Tom's behaviour has upset a good few but does that mean they need go blind on matchdays? Anyway, I'll say no more. Trying to shed my happy-clapper rep you know!

I'd say me neither, but I'd be lying.

After what's he's done, he has to be 8/10 every game to make amends.

I realise that reflects more poorly on me than Tom, but I'm done fighting feelings so now I just roll with it!

On 21/01/2020 at 22:20, neil62uk said:

Never rated him and never will ...had 1 good season whilst at Ipswich ...FESTER must have seen THE SNAKE coming .. bet there still laughing now ...would much sooner see him sold on  

Toxic morons in the fanbase summed up.

Archived