Tom Lawrence appreciation thread

Big Trav

Very good today imo but it's his shot that flew over the north stand that really gained my appreciation, it's been a long long time since I've seen that happen at a stadium the size of PP (I can't actually remember seeing it before but I assume I must have done). Bravo!

The fact that his first major involvement in the game was that shot but he didn't let it affect the rest of his performance was a promising sign. A few months ago he'd have disappeared for the rest of the game because of it.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Very good today imo but it's his shot that flew over the north stand that really gained my appreciation, it's been a long long time since I've seen that happen at a stadium the size of PP (I can't actually remember seeing it before but I assume I must have done). Bravo!

The fact that his first major involvement in the game was that shot but he didn't let it affect the rest of his performance was a promising sign. A few months ago he'd have disappeared for the rest of the game because of it.

Bad news for us though.

He'll miss the next few weeks after being drafted into the Welsh Six Nations squad.

Said it in the match thread, but thought he was absolutely brilliant today. 

He did so much work off the ball it was like a different player to what we have seen previously - and this is from someone who didn’t have a huge issue with him previously. Not sure it would have come across on TV so well, but he did so much covering and shuffling to cut off avenues  

There was no gap down his flank, he was disciplined, seemed to put a lot of tackles in and when he did get the ball he either retained possession or carried a threat. 

A real “team first” performance once again. 

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

Said it in the match thread, but thought he was absolutely brilliant today. 

He did so much work off the ball it was like a different player to what we have seen previously - and this is from someone who didn’t have a huge issue with him previously. Not sure it would have come across on TV so well, but he did so much covering and shuffling to cut off avenues  

There was no gap down his flank, he was disciplined, seemed to put a lot of tackles in and when he did get the ball he either retained possession or carried a threat. 

A real “team first” performance once again. 

Is the penny beginning to drop with him?

late on  - fozzy had gone to close the ball down and stuck with player who kept him away from the area and Lawrence filled in.  He is noticeably working harder for the team.  And is a much better player for it.

1 hour ago, Coconut said:

Agree with others, another very good performance by Lawrence today. No stupid showboating, no shooting from stupid positions (apart from THAT shot?), and no running into dead ends. He worked hard in defence, and worked well for the team going forward again. His runs off the ball were intelligent, and he carried the ball into dangerous positions - generally choosing the right pass and executing them pretty well too. His quality on and off the ball continues to show a marked improvement imo.

Ive always been a doubter, but every passing game he has in this run of form since January makes me believe more and more that maybe he’s finally figured out what’s needed from a top winger at this level. It’s beginning to look like a proper permanent improvement in his game, brought about by listening to his coaches no doubt, and long may it continue. Since the new year he’s finally looked like the elite championship winger we need him to be in terms of his general play. Keep it up Tom, and prove you’re at the level we need from all 11 players.

Lawrence is a better player because of Wayne Rooney. Simple as that. He looks at Rooney every day in training and sees some one who is the best player of his generation working his baalocks off for the benefit of the team.

Its got to rub off on you, how could you not step your own game up when working with someone of that quality. Lawrence has always had that ability but the work rate and team spirit of Rooney can only inspire you.

14 hours ago, RIMBAUD said:

Is the penny beginning to drop with him?

late on  - fozzy had gone to close the ball down and stuck with player who kept him away from the area and Lawrence filled in.  He is noticeably working harder for the team.  And is a much better player for it.

Lawrence has been consistent throughout season.The difference is he’s now stepped up to another level

better question is has the penny dropped with all the posters on here that were calling for him to be sold,dropped,sacked and various other pathetic comments he received.....if they got there way life watching Derby would have been very dull and points limited

if he keeps playing to this high standard i can see him picking up player of season.From the recent comments from his fellow players,manager and opposition players his talent with the ball are highly regarded 

So pleased for Tom , hes had his troubles off the pitch in his personal life and on the pitch finding the consistency to win over a majority of Rams fans , last night for me was Toms best performance in a Rams shirt , Rooney in the team has awoken something in him , long may it continue , and also a big shout out for Phillip Cocu , his man management of him has helped bring about performances like last night , truly exceptional management

Archived