Tom Lawrence appreciation thread

Big Trav

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone who calls him out on yesterday I do hope you’ve already called out the other 13 players first.

4 goal involvements in the last three games. Working hard defensively. Retaining possession. What he offered yesterday I will take all day.

I still think as a front three it’s limited as no one runs in behind but give me the Lawrence who played yesterday every week please.

Thought Tom had another really good game yesterday. Credit to Cocu and Rooney who seem to be coaxing him back to something like the player we saw before he joined us, something Rowett and Lampard failed to achieve. I've always maintained that he would come good and probably annoyed a lot of folk in doing so, but that loyalty is simply because I believe he can be a real gamechanger when he is happy and confident in his football and we are hopefully starting to see that now.

Moving forwards I'd love to see these performances with greater regularity. Tom has already been more consistent in terms of playing for the team and with greater awareness, but if he maintains this current attacking threat and keep notching these wonderful goals that few others in our squad are capable of scoring, he can become a key player in our efforts to finally climb out of this division. Bird and possibly Wisdom aside, I thought he was the only player to shine yesterday and hopefully he is starting to win over some of his critics. 

10 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Yes.  Quite.  That was the ironic bit of my post, which unfortunately, you clearly missed!   ?

Haha sorry - I didn't read it to be honest! Just saw the zee and pounced like an idiot who wanted to say summat!

Strange response to mucker's good, positive and constructive post! I couldn't see anything condescending in the slightest tbh. I'm not sure how anyone actually saw it as a negative post!

Lawrence is in good form, and if that volley had gone in for a second goal we'd have had the goal of the season competition sorted by a distance.

The good form, great strikes and better team play is very welcome, but the main improvement really is just that he's taking the sensible option and not trying to beat the world every time he receives the ball.

He's not suddenly become a great creative passer spraying the ball about the pitch first time, putting teammates in on goal with with well weighted through-balls,.beating his man and whipping in cross after cross or anything like that, but he's definitely doing the simple things better.

The frustrating elements of his game are still there at times, like yesterday (first half) when he received the ball in space on the edge of their area - it was all set up for him to take 1, 2 touches and smash a shot at goal (a situation where nobody would blame him for being selfish and having a shot) but the result was him receiving the ball, taking 5 or 6 touches, turning this way and passing up the chance to do anything with the opportunity, all the while the defence got back in numbers and we were left just passing it back toward our own half and recycling possession again.

There's still a lot to work on.

Best part of his game yesterday was after Rooney’s FK that the keeper caught and launched upfield, it was Lawrence who had chased back 70 metres to win the ball back and stop them having a run on goal. 

I don’t think it’s a particularly new part of his game but hopefully people are noticing it more now.

Hes been exceptional for a month or so now, even when he is slightly off it he has been more productive.

10 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Strange response to mucker's good, positive and constructive post! I couldn't see anything condescending in the slightest tbh. I'm not sure how anyone actually saw it as a negative post!

Lawrence is in good form, and if that volley had gone in for a second goal we'd have had the goal of the season competition sorted by a distance.

The good form, great strikes and better team play is very welcome, but the main improvement really is just that he's taking the sensible option and not trying to beat the world every time he receives the ball.

He's not suddenly become a great creative passer spraying the ball about the pitch first time, putting teammates in on goal with with well weighted through-balls,.beating his man and whipping in cross after cross or anything like that, but he's definitely doing the simple things better.

The frustrating elements of his game are still there at times, like yesterday (first half) when he received the ball in space on the edge of their area - it was all set up for him to take 1, 2 touches and smash a shot at goal (a situation where nobody would blame him for being selfish and having a shot) but the result was him receiving the ball, taking 5 or 6 touches, turning this way and passing up the chance to do anything with the opportunity, all the while the defence got back in numbers and we were left just passing it back toward our own half and recycling possession again.

There's still a lot to work on.

Another one who has slated him by the sound of it. 

11 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Another one who has slated him by the sound of it. 

I've spent a good chunk of Lawrence's time here defending him actually, especially in the first couple of years against the backdrop of people crying themselves to sleep over the loss of Tom Ince and making completely unfair comparisons between the two.

The last couple of years though he's had long spells being more of a hindrance to the team than a help, and it's been impossible to ignore at times. 

I'm as happy as anyone that he's starting to show some form and get some appreciation, but, again, there's still lots of room for improvement.

1 minute ago, Coconut said:

I've spent a good chunk of Lawrence's time here defending him actually, especially in the first couple of years against the backdrop of people crying themselves to sleep over the loss of Tom Ince and making completely unfair comparisons between the two.

Fair enough then I apologise .

I just hear fans grumbling when he does anything wrong.  

It is like the ironical clapping with Roos that I hate even though Roos has faults in his game as does Lawrence.

I suppose I defend Lawrence more than other players because I like his football. 

Up the Rams 

Well done yesterday Tom , a good performance , cracking goal , Tom is responding to having good players around him who he can trust , Rooney , Martin , Holmes ,Bird, slowly winning his critics over , more of the same please Tommy lad , also may i just add , the man management Cocu has given Tom has contributed as well , the role he has given him and the trust he has shown him is seemingly unlocking that talent that most of us knew was in there , well done Phil

7 hours ago, Coconut said:

The last couple of years though he's had long spells being more of a hindrance to the team than a help, and it's been impossible to ignore at times. 

I'm as happy as anyone that he's starting to show some form and get some appreciation, but, again, there's still lots of room for improvement.

Page 1 of this thread Jan 18th you weren’t defending him....perhaps you owe @curtains an apology back

After the drink driving incident i was happy to see him sold on the basis that what he did constituted gross misconduct and also he wouldn't be a loss to the team as he's always flattered to deceive. However, if he keeps this up he'll become the player that he promised to be and be an asset to the team rather than a luxury liability. 

1 minute ago, Leeds Ram said:

After the drink driving incident i was happy to see him sold on the basis that what he did constituted gross misconduct and also he wouldn't be a loss to the team as he's always flattered to deceive. However, if he keeps this up he'll become the player that he promised to be and be an asset to the team rather than a luxury liability. 

He's going to have to continue to work hard to win everybody over and that's in no small part down to his own actions. It's good to see him trying though and long may it continue.

Just now, Leeds Ram said:

He is slowly improving but I'd be still happy if we sell because what he did after the bonding session.

After his career he'll go to dictionary as a synonym for a confidence player. He was simply horrible before the goal and unstoppable after it. 

Archived