Tom Lawrence appreciation thread

Big Trav

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I thought Friday was one of his better performances this season.

Its only now that you've pointed out that he didnt play, that I have realised why.

Oh I’m sorry I missed the bit where all our other players created chances and got endless shots away against league 2 opponents.

Far to easy for people to blame Tom when it’s clearly the whole squad that is struggling.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Derbyram1 said:

Oh I’m sorry I missed the bit where all our other players created chances and got endless shots away against league 2 opponents.

Far to easy for people to blame Tom when it’s clearly the whole squad that is struggling.

Apart from the games where we had a full starting 11 playing and Lawrence suspended.

Coincidentally 2 of our best performances of the season.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

One game with 10 men for 70 minutes and one game against an in form team.

Barnsley only picked up 9 points from the previous 6 games 

After missing those games, he came back in to the side vs Palace, putting in a good shift, followed up by 2 assists in 2 games against the side with the best form in the League (Boro) and a good Hull side. Dropped (rested) from the squad vs Northampton and we struggle to create chances.

23 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Barnsley only picked up 9 points from the previous 6 games 

After missing those games, he came back in to the side vs Palace, putting in a good shift, followed up by 2 assists in 2 games against the side with the best form in the League (Boro) and a good Hull side. Dropped (rested) from the squad vs Northampton and we struggle to create chances.

I seem to remember Barnsley picking up results against decent teams before playing us, if my memory fails me I stand corrected!

Regarding the 'assists', for me that shows how pointless some stats can be.

His assist v Boro was a 2 yard pass to a team mate stood on the touchline, who's cross drifted into the back of the net. If that pass is the definition of creating a chance then surely we are creating loads? (Fair play to Lawrence for winning back the ball in the first place though).

His assist v Hull was a floated corner which, had it been at the other end, fans would have been going mad at the keeper for not catching. Once again if floating a corner into the box is creating a chance, we did that against Northampton, seem to remember Davies missing 2 headers.

On 24/01/2020 at 19:44, reverendo de duivel said:

1. Pricetag.

Not Tom's fault but it plays a part, nothing to do with Tom but it changes perception.

It's funny because when discussing Lawrence every talks about the maximum we will pay (£7m) and not the initial amount (£4m) yet with Marriott his fee isn't even thought about (£3m rising to £5m). I am guessing there will be clauses for goals and promotion in there so they will probably end up costing the same. 

Just now, RIMBAUD said:

Your previous comment could be considered as somewhat incendiary. I’m sure there are people who thought he was ok. 

But not me. 

I look forward to someone arguing that he played well or even ok.

10 minutes ago, sage said:

I look forward to someone arguing that he played well or even ok.

Phew. I was worried for a while. Lawrence has been indulged by the club imo. He’s a reasonable footballer but a weak personality. That’s why he’s inconsistent. 

And to be honest he is the head of a long list of players at this club who I want to leave. 

Lawrence is rubbish but to be fair he isnt the only one. 

I do think he unfairly gets criticism though. He is our only winger. In the days we had ward, ince & russell we could rotate. 

Up until recently (not last two seasons) we've always had three decent-ish players in that position. If one wasnt perfoming it goes un-noticed. Especially if the other plays well or if they are rotated out

Unfortunately for Lawrence no matter how poor he is then he has to play 90mins because flojo isnt even a footballer & the other options arnt much better. 

He hasnt been great but why do we expect him to be ?‍♂️ he's never put a real run of form together ?‍♂️ & whilst he has been poor so have others that have avoided criticism 

Archived