Tom Lawrence appreciation thread

Big Trav

I felt he was our second best player in the first half (behind Bird). Linked up well, tracked back, put in a few teasing balls, and should have been awarded a penalty - he looked to be our only real goal threat. 2nd half started okay, and a scuffed shot hit the bar. After that he drastically faded and I forgot he was on the field. 

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Well he has done nothing to get him a transfer on our terms 

I don’t know how in gets in the starting X1 

You're right we should be starting Jozefzoon.

Even I've lost patience.

I'm really sorry about him losing his mother and the impact it has had on him.

I've seen the potential he has and I did once believe he would come good.

But it's time he was delivering on a far more regular basis. Wingers, creative players in general, can be inconsistent - I guess it's the nature of the craft - but he doesn't produce enough anywhere near as often as he should.

Sorry but that's enough. Time for us to move on.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I felt he was our second best player in the first half (behind Bird). Linked up well, tracked back, put in a few teasing balls, and should have been awarded a penalty - he looked to be our only real goal threat. 2nd half started okay, and a scuffed shot hit the bar. After that he drastically faded and I forgot he was on the field. 

Pardon?! I’m not trying to be rude, but I’m not sure what game you were watching and couldn’t disagree more.

1st half he repeatedly gave the ball away or had poor decision making/end product after we had good passages of play. He tracked back well and won the ball a couple of times, however if that’s what we are happy with from an 8m pound winger then it’s simply not enough. 2nd half he was totally non existent except missing an absolute sitter and blazing one over the bar from outside the box.

He isn’t (and hasn’t for a long time) doing anywhere near enough to justify his selection and it makes no sense how he stays on the field when subs are made, while others go off who look far more threatening than him.

Our best performances in regards to quality of performance and spirit of the team have come with him out the side and the sooner he is out of the club the better. There is talent in him, however it is never going to work for him at our club.

awful tonight - how he stays on the pitch is beyond me.

Drifts away from play, passes it back too often, lazy, the one time he is in the right place to finish (as often he wasnt) he messes up.

How Holmes and Knight (Who were our two best players second half) were taken off over him, I have to question Cocu.

He's a problem and until it is fixed it's going to continue being a problem.

I have also lost patience with him, 6 million pounds for a player who looks like he wants out, and that miss tonight was awful, should have buried that, the only reason he plays, is to put him in the shop window, offers nothing, apart from sulking about all game, it's very rare for me to critise a player but Lawrence has had more chances than anyone. Rant over. 

Lazy is just a cliche to further agendas. Just because he isn’t making Weimann style aimless runs in behind doesn’t make him lazy. 

Constantly tries to find pockets and pops up all over, clearly given the licence to roam. Question his link-up and final ball by all means.

It’s a difficult one because there’s clearly a talented footballer there, we just don’t see it consistently.  But that’s why he’s playing in the Championship.  For one reason or another, whether it’s the expectation of the transfer fee, Rowett claiming he’s the new Ince, or off-field stuff, it seems he’s one of those that it just doesn’t seem to have worked for him here.  And let’s be honest he’s not the only one to have arrived with high expectations and it not work.

I wonder if, for his own well-being (there are people near me who boo him if he stands still 50 yards from the ball and refuse to cheer when he scores!!) and his career, he would benefit from a move.

7 hours ago, Ramdale said:

Pardon?! I’m not trying to be rude, but I’m not sure what game you were watching and couldn’t disagree more.

1st half he repeatedly gave the ball away or had poor decision making/end product after we had good passages of play. He tracked back well and won the ball a couple of times, however if that’s what we are happy with from an 8m pound winger then it’s simply not enough. 2nd half he was totally non existent except missing an absolute sitter and blazing one over the bar from outside the box.

He isn’t (and hasn’t for a long time) doing anywhere near enough to justify his selection and it makes no sense how he stays on the field when subs are made, while others go off who look far more threatening than him.

Our best performances in regards to quality of performance and spirit of the team have come with him out the side and the sooner he is out of the club the better. There is talent in him, however it is never going to work for him at our club.

Well you clearly believe what you want to believe as none of the bolded points are true.

1. £5m plus add-ons (goals, promotion, etc). As you clearly feel he's an awful player, there's surely no way he has scored enough to activate those add-ons, and we definitely haven't been promoted. That would make him a £5m winger. Unfortunately, in this market that's about the going rate.
  2. He's by far our best wide mid/forward.
  3. He's been out of the starting lineup on 7 occasions this season. Huddersfield and Palace games would rank higher than Charlton and Barnsley
    • Scunthorpe away 1-0 WIN
    • Forest away 0-3 LOSS
    • Leeds away 1-1 DRAW
    • Birmingham home 3-2 WIN
    • Charlton home 2-1 WIN
    • Barnsley home 2-1 WIN
    • Northampton away 0-0 DRAW

39 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Well you clearly believe what you want to believe as none of the bolded points are true.

1. £5m plus add-ons (goals, promotion, etc). As you clearly feel he's an awful player, there's surely no way he has scored enough to activate those add-ons, and we definitely haven't been promoted. That would make him a £5m winger. Unfortunately, in this market that's about the going rate.
  2. He's by far our best wide mid/forward.
  3. He's been out of the starting lineup on 7 occasions this season. Huddersfield and Palace games would rank higher than Charlton and Barnsley
    • Scunthorpe away 1-0 WIN
    • Forest away 0-3 LOSS
    • Leeds away 1-1 DRAW
    • Birmingham home 3-2 WIN
    • Charlton home 2-1 WIN
    • Barnsley home 2-1 WIN
    • Northampton away 0-0 DRAW

Haha. I'm not sure your 3rd point helps your argument out in anyway whatsoever.

You've basically just highlighted that we've actually been pretty decent without Lawrence. 3 league wins and a draw against arguably the best squad in the league; undefeated. 

3 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

Haha. I'm not sure your 3rd point helps your argument out in anyway whatsoever.

You've basically just highlighted that we've actually been pretty decent without Lawrence. 3 league wins and a draw against arguably the best squad in the league; undefeated. 

The Huddersfield and Palace performances were both better than any with Lawrence missing. 
Did you watch the Leeds game? We were fortunate not to be on the end of a 5-0 thrashing

As other's said, I've lost patience in him.  There's a player in there somewhere, but three successive managers have failed to unlock his (obvious in fits & starts) talent on a consistent basis.  I'm afraid it's time to move him on.  No wonder our form has been so up & down all season when our most creative player only comes to the fore in 1 out of 10 games.  Every time you think he's turned the corner, he regresses.  For arguments sake I guess it doesn't help when Cocu is changing personnel and formations every week, but that still doesn't excuse the poor decision making he constantly displays.

I didn't see all the game was only able to catch bits but he was alright from what I saw. It was Knight that was pants from what I could tell. 

There was one occasion where we had worked the ball really well and Lawrence had a shot from about 30 yards with a load of bodies in front of him. That is what I get fed up of seeing over and over. 

But having said that a handful of other players had the opportunities to cross or feed it through for Waghorn or the full backs and they just kept possession for the sake of pretty passing. I think it was Holmes that had an actual opening to fire off a shot but didn't. 

Now if we aren't looking to pop the ball through the lines for strikers or wide players then our hope will rest with Lawrence having crowded shots from a mile away. 

Just in the parts I saw there seemed again only a plan up until the final third and then nothing. 

I've seen more attempts of slipping the ball through or over or around the defence from Rooney than I've seen from any other players. 

For one reason or another our attacks tend to consist of hopeful crosses into a box populated by 1 or max 2 Derby players. Crap hit and hope crosses too. Like a put it in the mix and hope someone made the run type cross. 

I think we can all (or a least most of us) see that Lawrence has ability - the problem is that his main purpose in the team is to score goals or create assists for others - this season (with last night being a prime example), he's doing neither and in fact, his poor decision making is quite often leaving us in trouble as he repeatedly gives the ball away and puts us under pressure. It's tough to criticise his effort (certainly in the first half laast night) but he's simply a luxury we can't afford and needs to be dropped/rested....

I started a thread much earlier in the season about what we get out of him after 20 minutes in a game which I believe to be little but I really struggle to think of anything decent from him after half time in all the games he has played for us, I am sure someone will be able to correct me? 

we have had all the managers trying to fit him in the side or arrange the side so that he can start, I have only thought he looked decent this season on a few occasions when he was playing behind Martin and Marriott but he is just a pure luxury player that must drive the other players nuts.

18 hours ago, Gaspode said:

I think we can all (or a least most of us) see that Lawrence has ability - the problem is that his main purpose in the team is to score goals or create assists for others - this season (with last night being a prime example), he's doing neither and in fact, his poor decision making is quite often leaving us in trouble as he repeatedly gives the ball away and puts us under pressure. It's tough to criticise his effort (certainly in the first half laast night) but he's simply a luxury we can't afford and needs to be dropped/rested....

Isnt he our top scorer?

Archived