Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by Day

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Would you expect to be sacked from your job if you were caught drink driving?

What they've done is awful and they should be punished for it. But let's try not go over-the-top here, as bad as what they have done is.

There is no going 'over the top' when it comes to punishing drink drivers. Yes i would fully expect to be sacked.

7 minutes ago, Subman said:

Personally think it’s disgusting, wouldn’t surprise me if they were driving like twits.

wouldn’ be disappointed if they were both sacked, sorry.

Don’t be ridiculous. You wouldn’t even necessarily be sacked from your job if you weren’t a multi-million pound commodity.

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

What they've done is awful and they should be punished for it. But let's try not go over-the-top here, as bad as what they have done is.

Yes, I'd like to think I would be, as it would be bringing my profession into disrepute, just as these pair have brought DCFC into disrepute with their actions.

Personally, no amount of drink driving is OTT. From the looks of the crash, they were either totally drunk, driving like ricks, or (I suspect more likely) both. Should be a zero tolerance approach to stuff like this IMO. Someone who idolises these players could have been woken up by the police telling them their family had been killed by these two. Bin them off, ASAP.

Idiocy.

There’s never any excuse for drink driving but for two people who earn what they earn to not even bother to get a taxi just throws even more stupidity in to the occasion.

They’re actually very lucky that they left the scene with written-off Range Rovers and not serious injuries to themselves or others. It can and has ended a lot worse for footballers in the past.

But they live in their little bubble, and believe they’re above the rules and laws everyone else has to follow, and will no doubt have new cars handed to them when they’re able to drive again, and it really won’t affect them that much.

12 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

And Radio Derby twitter account.  Some of the more militant replies are calling for their contracts to be ripped up, whis is a bit of an over the top reaction.  A few games suspension and a hefty fine should be about right.

I don't think it's an overreaction in the slightest.

Too many lives are lost on our roads because a moron thinks they have the god given right to put other people's lives at risk because getting a taxi or something would be an inconvenience to them. Absolutely no need for it.

1 minute ago, cannable said:

Don’t be ridiculous. You wouldn’t even necessarily be sacked from your job if you weren’t a multi-million pound commodity.

I would fully expect to be sacked myself. And i wouldn't want somebody stupid enough to drink drive working for me.

10 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I'm sure this sort of thing also happened long before 1992.

10 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I'm sure this sort of thing also happened long before 1992.

Yeah cause it did , just get the image in my head of two young footballers with more money than sense out on a Tuesday night racing there Range Rovers pissed out there skulls . 

Perhaps I am just ignorant to the reality of how drink driving is dealt with in work places - have other footballers been sacked for this? 

I appreciate that being a footballer is not a 'normal' profession, and that they are indeed in the public eye, but whether or not they should, in matters of legality, be treated as anyone else should be, is surely a matter for debate?

6 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

There's a reasonable chance I would, yes, particularly if it ended up in the paper.

Just now, Smyth_18 said:

I would fully expect to be sacked myself. And i wouldn't want somebody stupid enough to drink drive working for me.

Right, but as I stated, I know for a fact it isn’t necessarily a sackable offence… and her contract certainly wasn’t worth millions of pounds…

Archived