Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by David

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

3 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

You almost come across as your condoning it ? 

I’m coming across as people whip themselves up into a frenzy without thinking rationally. Ban and a fine, standard. Possibly some community service because they crashed as well. 

Fine them two weeks wages here each too.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, cannable said:

Right, but as I stated, I know for a fact it isn’t necessarily a sackable offence… and her contract certainly wasn’t worth millions of pounds…

everything is a sackable offence if you are willing to accept claims of unfair dismissal.  not sure whether their contracts include this behavior as unacceptable but we may be about to see a very much more threadbare squad, a hit to p&s and a competitor or 2 pick up a couple of championship players for free

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Looks like Sunderland ended Darron Gibson's contract after he was charged with drunk driving:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-44197071

Gibson was involved in a drunk hit and run in 2015 when at Everton. He was then caught drink driving in 2018 which led to the contract being terminated at Sunderland (probably a condition in his contract given his history).

People saying we should cancel their contacts etc, completely disagree. Fine them, suspend them for a few weeks but to release two fairly good players is ridiculous. If they had injured somebody else I would have a different opinion on it but the only thing they hurt was themselves, their cars and their wallets. And no, before people start saying that I 'support drink driving', absolutely not, but releasing them won't do any good. The best way to punish them is to dock pay, suspend them for a bit and make them go on a drink driving course etc (as well as whatever the court decides). Disagree with me all you like but that's my opinion.

8 minutes ago, MK-Ram said:

I don't think it's an overreaction in the slightest.

Too many lives are lost on our roads because a moron thinks they have the god given right to put other people's lives at risk because getting a taxi or something would be an inconvenience to them. Absolutely no need for it.

But, fortunately no lives have been lost.  If they'd caused serious injury or death then having their contracts cancelled would be the least of their problems and quite rightly.  I'm all for punishing drunk/reckless drivers but the punishment should fit the crime.

I'm just wondering if they'd be as many calls for them being sacked if the players were, for example, Marriott & Bogle???

Just now, NewtonRamDE55 said:

People saying we should cancel their contacts etc, completely disagree. Fine them, suspend them for a few weeks but to release two fairly good players is ridiculous. If they had injured somebody else I would have a different opinion on it but the only thing they hurt was themselves, their cars and their wallets. And no, before people start saying that I 'support drink driving', absolutely not, but releasing them won't do any good. The best way to punish them is to dock pay, suspend them for a bit and make them go on a drink driving course etc (as well as whatever the court decides). Disagree with me all you like but that's my opinion.

And force them to take part in charity events raising money for drink-driving awareness, etc. Humiliate them. Throw the book at them. I'm all for it.

But sack them? Not for me. That just hurts them and us. 

I think they should be thankful they’ve not killed or seriously injured someone or themselves.

As has been mentioned I’m sure that the club has strict rules on this.

I would worry about about their mental state to put themselves in this position.

I know TL has had major personal trauma(that’s not an excuse).

Just now, ramsbottom said:

But, fortunately no lives have been lost.  If they'd caused serious injury or death then having their contracts cancelled would be the least of their problems and quite rightly.  I'm all for punishing drunk/reckless drivers but the punishment should fit the crime.

I'm just wondering if they'd be as many calls for them being sacked if the players were, for example, Marriott & Bogle???

or Martin

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

And force them to take part in charity events raising money for drink-driving awareness, etc. Humiliate them. Throw the book at them. I'm all for it.

But sack them? Not for me. That just hurts them and us. 

You missed the tweet showing Bennett had been at the walking football sponsored by Drinkaware the previous day?

31 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Each day I find the modern football game and everything that surrounds slightly more vulgar . 

Because there was no drinking in the 70s, 80s or 90s 

***EDIT"***

(Acknowledging that I'm not the first person to say this)

Archived