Suggestions for the next Derby manager

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, maxjam said:

Not keen on the whole Gerrard thing tbh - if he came he'd be leaving Rangers after one season.  Any sort of reasonable season here and he'd be gone at the end of if.  If thats how its going to be I'd take crap football for a season from a proven manager with a track record on promotions or (preferably) a younger attack minded manager willing to play youth and with a commitment to stick around for at least a couple of seasons to actually give him chance to develop the squad.

They're all bullpoopers - isn't this exactly what we thought we had with Growett?

Say what they want you to hear then once they're in keep everything really plain and simple. Plus sign a load if old codgers so they can keep up with the training. 

Piece of pee all this managing lark....?

Some of this all seems a bit odd to me, got a gut feeling that the interest in Gerrard is being driven as a potential carry on to any outside investment into the club (deliver us a big name and we’ll invest) 

to me, the logical choice is Hughton, 100% - 2 promotions from this division, experienced, well respected 

this smacks of another “big name” manger, which would appeal to any imminent investment 

52 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

The mood on the Rangers forum was pretty confident before that interview was posted...

20190624_203407.thumb.jpg.361e149a2300c8b4ebba0fcd520641fd.jpg

20190624_203337.thumb.jpg.52e844e250f6da79ee0a409845490aea.jpg

20190624_203351.thumb.jpg.5170db891f91a1bfbdef5e7545d22267.jpg

But they're a little less sure of their boss's commitment now...

20190624_203418.thumb.jpg.ed5b18de67f77b3d557b47234d1ffcbd.jpg

If Gerrard wasn't interested in the Derby job then he would've said so. He's nailed on I reckon.

They all seem like nice, reasonable people for a team Derby fans fawn over for whatever reason. 

40 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Some of this all seems a bit odd to me, got a gut feeling that the interest in Gerrard is being driven as a potential carry on to any outside investment into the club (deliver us a big name and we’ll invest) 

to me, the logical choice is Hughton, 100% - 2 promotions from this division, experienced, well respected 

this smacks of another “big name” manger, which would appeal to any imminent investment 

Quite liking this theory. Obviously Gerrard would be made aware of any changes to the ownership model?

2 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Hope we go absolutely nowhere near Steven Gerrard, a man whose response to a team lacking creativity was to get his club to pay Jermain Defoe’s wages for two years, and then get his centre backs to have him running the channels

It wouldn't enthuse me either. I seem to remember his response to Morelos' umpteenth red of the season being that he might have to start fining him. What the hell was he doing before that? Just asking nicely for him to try and stay on the pitch for 90 minutes?

In all honesty, Gerrard comes across as a bit of a pushover, but someone that really understands raw talent and does well to get the most out of those players.

Tom Lawrence, for example, would both flourish and pick up red cards of Gerrard arrived!

I agree with a few on here, it’s a status appointment if they try and go for Gerrard, but then it didn’t go too badly with Lampard, so...

Who knows who the source of our alleged interest in Gerrard is? Perhaps it's a bookie wanting to encourage bets; maybe a journo in one of more than 150 different media outlets making up a story that they can then run further with; could be someone on Ranger's board (notoriously leaky) that doesn't like the cut of Stevie G's jib; perhaps an agent wanting a better contract for Mr G; are Chelsea wanting to distract attention from Lampard or their interest in AN Other?

who knows. Who cares, until Mel says something 

36 minutes ago, JimmyDCFC said:

They all seem like nice, reasonable people for a team Derby fans fawn over for whatever reason. 

Interesting , we did as well in the European cup in two years as they've done in about 30 .   I can understand what they mean in a way , the pull of playing a pub team in Kosovo must be enticing for any manager .  Anyone up for a weekend in Prishtina .

6 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

That would be a brilliant approach. I'd be 100% behind that. 

I’d rather drag my testicles over a cheese grater than have the Cowley brothers... great guys that have done well but the football is enough to send you into a coma.

3 minutes ago, Ramslad1992 said:

I’d rather drag my testicles over a cheese grater than have the Cowley brothers... great guys that have done well but the football is enough to send you into a coma.

Not including those little holes that have no purpose other than gathering old cheese and catching your fingers surely.

2 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

As much as I am very inclined to agree with you, none of the manager's who have followed Cloughie have managed to get us promoted either.

The quote is nonsense. He got Burton promoted from being a non league outfit. Not an easy job. Of course we can sit here and criticise his tactics etc, but he was working with some pretty limited resources when he came to us. Personally I think we treated him like crap, Mac came in and took his team on and in 'my opinion' got the plaudits. No one is going to know what he could have achieved as his time was ended, and speculation on his ability about getting us promoted is purely that, speculation.

Highly unlikely he would return anyway. He should be remembered for doing a difficult job and ultimately delivering what he was asked to do. That was cut the wage bill, ship out some of the dross, and steady the boat and keep us from sliding further down the football league.

Archived