Suggestions for the next Derby manager

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

It’s Darren Moore 

I wouldn't be against Moore at all - considering the job he did at WBA. It also helps that he's a great guy and would be easy to get behind. 

I posted something the other night - he took over a team with more managers than league wins when he stepped up as WBA manager. He was able to double the amount of wins they had in the season in just six games, plus he took over a team on a run of eight straight defeats. I know the WBA team is full of players that are names, but I seriously think their ability is massively overrated. None of their players are in a position to get a better contract than the one they're currently on. He lost a lot of players for decent money, had a fraction of it to spend on the team and managed to keep them competitive. He arguably made the best loan signing in the Championship this season too, in Harvey Barnes. If he had stayed the season then they quite possibly would have got promoted. 

Hughton is my stand out first choice by a country mile. Moore & Monk both have their merits as managers. 

Just now, Andicis said:

I think Arteta is definitely a good shout, but potentially too high profile for us.

Yeh, he was by far my first choice

However - Wikipedia has changed my mind (a little) towards Danny Cowley - Think he looks an interesting choice, young, something to prove, a couple of promotions, will have an idea of who the stand out players from the leagues below might be etc etc - And if we can borrow some decent loanees from Frank at Chelsea he doesn't need the contacts around the game

Just now, cheron85 said:

Yeh, he was by far my first choice

However - Wikipedia has changed my mind (a little) towards Danny Cowley - Think he looks an interesting choice, young, something to prove, a couple of promotions, will have an idea of who the stand out players from the leagues below might be etc etc - And if we can borrow some decent loanees from Frank at Chelsea he doesn't need the contacts around the game

Cowley is a bit hoofball isn't he? I seem to remember them lobbing the ball up to Matt Rhead who was massive and would bully the defenders, obviously there is the argument you can't play football in lower leagues, but I just suspect he might not fit into our style of play.

25 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Off his teams on the pitch, probably. Based on the fact he can never seem to keep a job despite doing well at clubs... that raises some doubts.

Yeah, that's why I put the question mark! I just don't know what that's about......

Basing this from the odds at the moment:

Cowley (6/4) - done brilliant things with Lincoln, but their style of play is not amazing to watch. 

Moore (7/1) - Had arguably the best squad in the division and had them at 4th before being sacked. The only people who seem to agree with the sacking were WBA fans. Not quite sure what that says, but I would hope we set our sights slightly higher initially. 

Monk (10/1) - People seem to be unanimously against this, and he certainly wouldn't be a first choice. Style again not amazing to watch at times, but did a good job with Birmingham this year and many of their fans were sad to see him go. Can hardly blame Monk for being angry at the sale of Jota to Villa. 

Hughton (14/1) - style not as negative as some think, gets championship sides playing good stuff when going for promotion. Knows how to get out of the division and a very sensible choice. 

Terry (14/1) - no for me, if he does well Chelsea will come knocking when they inevitably sack Lampard this time next year. 

Bowyer (16/1) - Charlton played some attractive attacking football at times this season. Has done well with a team that was not expected to go up. They also have some exciting young players we could try and steal if Bowyer is appointed. Would be near the top of the list for me. 

Gerrard (16/1) - doubt he would come, and it is hard to judge how well he's done. Rangers fans seem to love him, but finishing 2nd in a league where that is both the bare minimum and as much as you can reasonably expect doesn't tell us much. On the plus side, he will only improve. 

After this point the names and odds get a bit silly, honourable mentions to Benitez (33/1), Moyes (33/1), Campbell (40/1), McInnes (50/1), Martinez (66/1). Dishonourable mentions to Keane (16/1), Rowett (25/1), Coleman (50/1). 

I wouldn't want the Cowley brothers, no doubting there is a place for pragmatic football in the modern game but isn't that what we want to try and avoid? Another complete change of system? I don't know what he's like for promoting young players, but it seems like he prefers established pros that know the game too. 

It's everything we want to avoid in a nutshell, isn't it?

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Cowley is a bit hoofball isn't he? I seem to remember them lobbing the ball up to Matt Rhead who was massive and would bully the defenders, obviously there is the argument you can't play football in lower leagues, but I just suspect he might not fit into our style of play.

I don't know - Haven't seen them play ?‍♂️ He just seems like the kind of manager we'd be after

2 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

Hughton (14/1) - style not as negative as some think, gets championship sides playing good stuff when going for promotion. Knows how to get out of the division and a very sensible choice. 

His side with Knockaert pulling the strings in attack was brilliant - Free flowing attacking football with a solid base at the back

I think he'd get the best out of Lawrence

I don't get the 'style of play' argument.

Surely you adapt your tactics to the level of your playing staff?

Hoofball may have suited Lincoln but that doesn't mean the Cowleys would get the likes of Bogle and Lawrence playing it. 

Unless we buy some giant forwards it doesn't suit our forwards either.

3 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

This is the first time I’ve checked into this thread. Has anyone suggested Stimac yet? If you have, go and take a long, hard look at yourself in the mirror and consider where it all went wrong.

The same applies to Paul Simpson and Michael Johnson.

Just now, RamsFan10 said:

Basing this from the odds at the moment:

Cowley (6/4) - done brilliant things with Lincoln, but their style of play is not amazing to watch. 

Moore (7/1) - Had arguably the best squad in the division and had them at 4th before being sacked. The only people who seem to agree with the sacking were WBA fans. Not quite sure what that says, but I would hope we set our sights slightly higher initially. 

Monk (10/1) - People seem to be unanimously against this, and he certainly wouldn't be a first choice. Style again not amazing to watch at times, but did a good job with Birmingham this year and many of their fans were sad to see him go. Can hardly blame Monk for being angry at the sale of Jota to Villa. 

Terry (14/1) - no for me, if he does well Chelsea will come knocking when they inevitably sack Lampard this time next year. 

Bowyer (16/1) - Charlton played some attractive attacking football at times this season. Has done well with a team that was not expected to go up. They also have some exciting young players we could try and steal if Bowyer is appointed. Would be near the top of the list for me. 

Gerrard (16/1) - doubt he would come, and it is hard to judge how well he's done. Rangers fans seem to love him, but finishing 2nd in a league where that is both the bare minimum and as much as you can reasonably expect doesn't tell us much. On the plus side, he will only improve. 

After this point the names and odds get a bit silly, honourable mentions to Benitez (33/1), Moyes (33/1), Campbell (40/1), McInnes (50/1), Martinez (66/1). Dishonourable mentions to Keane (16/1), Rowett (25/1), Coleman (50/1). 

I don't see how they had arguably the best squad in the division? Between them and Stoke they had the most reputable squad in the division, but he took over with them bottom of the Premier League on 20(?) points. He had to sell to buy, even then didn't get the whole funds, and finished much higher than the other two relegated clubs. 

Harvey Barnes, who at the time was a reserve player at Leicester, came in and was their best midfielder by far. Gayle, who can't get a game at Newcastle, proved himself as their best attacking outlet. No doubting they're good players at this level, but I don't buy the whole 'best squad in the division' remit. 

Just now, Anag Ram said:

I don't get the 'style of play' argument.

Surely you adapt your tactics to the level of your playing staff?

Hoofball may have suited Lincoln but that doesn't mean the Cowleys would get the likes of Bogle and Lawrence playing it. 

Unless we buy some giant forwards it doesn't suit our forwards either.

Because most managers in world football only really have one style of play, regardless of the players they have. Hence why Rowett's style was exactly the same from Birmingham to Derby, he even wouldn't play Will Hughes.

Danny Cowley is a hoof ball manager, we don't have the squad to play his style of play, so it's more logical he'd want to change all of our playing staff, therefore we have another 2 years of rebuilding dross. Whereas if we get a footballing manager, we have a decent base for them to work off. 

2 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Gayle, who can't get a game at Newcastle, proved himself as their best attacking outlet.

This is a bit disingenous, when most people could tell you that Gayle is bloody good for the Championship, was never quite strong enough for the Premier League, similar to Vydra, too good for the Championship but not good enough for the Prem.

Archived