Suggestions for the next Derby manager

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

Stendel or Hughton would put a smile on my face. Gerrard I could get behind. Would be intrigued by a foreign appointment. Could even get behind Moyes or the Lincoln boys, too.

Garry Monk, John Terry, Aitor Karanka, Darren Moore, Tony Pulis - no thank you! 

Thankfully John Terry is off the table already, but I really hope we go for a foreign appointment, and for once stick to a manager with the same style of play as us so he doesn't need 4 windows to change the squad only to leave/get fired.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Garry Monk, John Terry, Aitor Karanka, Darren Moore, Tony Pulis - no thank you! 

The rest of the list I agree with - But wouldn't be so sad about Monk - He's always talked about wanting his teams to play expressive football

1 minute ago, cheron85 said:

The rest of the list I agree with - But wouldn't be so sad about Monk - He's always talked about wanting his teams to play expressive football

My issue with Monk wouldn't be with the football, but the stuff he has been accused of behind the scenes.

18 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Logical choice - Hughton

Gamble - Arteta, Gerrard, Bergkamp, Van Bronckhorst

Outsider - Stendel

Hughton is such a proper football man. Big Sam without the panache and the bungs. Let's have some rock and roll gegenpressing! Mike Tullberg from Dortumund II! Gamble, yes but as Yoko Ono says "Energy is so important. If you don't have it, don't bother with rock and roll."

Surely Mel has enjoyed working with a young manager, far more than he would the older generation. For that reason I think he'll opt for a similar appointment. 100% he'll interview Sol Campbell.

However, off the list I'm reading I'd go for Moyes. Most will say no, but he'd make us solid.

3 minutes ago, SuperFrankieLampard said:

Surely Mel has enjoyed working with a young manager, far more than he would the older generation. For that reason I think he'll opt for a similar appointment. 100% he'll interview Sol Campbell.

However, off the list I'm reading I'd go for Moyes. Most will say no, but he'd make us solid.

Both of your suggestions made me vom a little bit. Has Moyes ever been successful outside of Everton? And Sol Campbell is just a dreadful man.

22 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Thankfully John Terry is off the table already, but I really hope we go for a foreign appointment, and for once stick to a manager with the same style of play as us so he doesn't need 4 windows to change the squad only to leave/get fired.

100%, absolutely. Style of play and a willingness to blood youngsters, ie. Lampard not Rowett - Rules out Hughton and others.

Monk?

Just now, Andicis said:

Both of your suggestions made me vom a little bit. Has Moyes ever been successful outside of Everton? And Sol Campbell is just a dreadful man.

On David Moyes, some things I like about him are:

- All the work he did at Everton.

- Arguably hard done by at Manchester United. Especially after the he revealed how he had been let down with signings recently (interview is on YouTube).

- Had the balls to go abroad and manage Real Sociedad (this is the main reason I have a soft spot for him because I've always liked La Real since going on holiday there years ago).

- Kept West Ham afloat.

Finally on Moyes, I remember one of the BBC Sports Editors (think it was Phil McNulty but I might be wrong) saying a few years ago that Moyes and Derby seemed like a good fit. A big club offering a big project - maybe the perfect place for him to rebuild his reputation. Think this was around the time we hired Clement or Pearson. Either way, I wouldn't be against him, even if I am slightly biased.

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Neither were suggestions.

I said he will Interview Campbell purely off the back of a good season for him and he's of similar stature to Lampard (but not as clever).

I said off the list I'm looking at I'd pick Moyes. The list is pretty poo.

19 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

My issue with Monk wouldn't be with the football, but the stuff he has been accused of behind the scenes.

He’d fit right in at Derby then.....

9 minutes ago, SuperFrankieLampard said:

Neither were suggestions.

I said he will Interview Campbell purely off the back of a good season for him and he's of similar stature to Lampard (but not as clever).

Why would Campbell get interviewed off a decent season in league two when there are plenty of good managers that have been at Championship or similar level already? 

13 minutes ago, SuperFrankieLampard said:

Is there a list?

I suspect it'll be someone we don't see coming - Lampard was pretty out of the blue last season wasn't he?

Archived