Suggestions for the next Derby manager

3 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Good first shot a manager job.

He could probably have got more money in the championship but succeeding at rangers might get more recognition than doing a good championship job.

How? The SPL is much lower quality than the Championship. For me Gerrard is not ready to take the Derby job. He does need to ply his trade in the lower leagues which is what he is doing. Maybe in 2 or 3 years he might be ready, who knows....

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

8 million! That’s a ridiculous sum of money for a bonus to anyone, yet alone a championship manager! Ain’t my money but Christ I wouldn’t be throwing that around! Would love gerrard here, would be a serious coup, but I just can’t see it happening. Really don’t think he’d take it, he’ll show loyalty to rangers I’m sure. Would be exciting if it did happen mind, to be able to attract the players he’ll be able to- we won’t lose much in that respect when we lose Lampard if so. Would probably be one of the few options available that would genuinely get me excited- provided he plays decent football of course, I haven’t seen much of rangers so should hope the board make sure of that. Other than that though, that would be a serious appointment. Would certainly lessen the blow of losing Lampard. Good to see Mel would stick to his guns of not going for dinosaurs too, tho I would have some reservations again about lack of experience, would rather someone with more than one season to their name myself but hey, better than pardew! Just don’t think anything money wise will tempt him away. It’s just too unrealistic imo to try for him, he’ll be happy there so why would he jump to our nightmare job? Not gonna happen, barely worth trying. 

Surely we haven’t really decided he’s the first choice yet to replace Lampard. We’ve not even had the official approach yet, shouldn’t even really be considering managers until that happens. Certainly not deciding on our first choice until lampards gone and we’ve spoken to our main options, which we can’t until the position is vacant! Particularly when that first choice is as unrealistic as gerrard, need to be careful to know our level I feel. Wouldnt have thought financial details like this would be thought about until our decision is made and we open contract talks either, it’s a very odd story.  We can obviously afford it if we go up mind, so whatever gets the right men here I guess! 

Still couldn’t see why gerrard would take a championship job though. He’d get a prem job by taking us up so I guess there’s that, but I’d think he could get there without having to dip down to the second tier. If he wants to succeed klopp one day, for one he’ll need patience cause he ain’t going anywhere soon, and secondly he’ll need to be managing high in the prem. Itll take a lot to get us there, near miracle in fact. Don’t see why he’d risk it, he could get a better job if he waits and wins summat at rangers.

7m for Lampard and his coaching staff would be seriously good business mind as that’ll be mental money for championship coaches, almost unbelievably good. Kudos to Mel if he pulls that off, would be serious business from him. Should help us be able to afford gerrard if by some miracle he did want to join in terms of compo needed to get him out of rangers. Is a good point that a big name in charge will attract the investors we’ve been looking for for a while. Could help us with a bigger budget next year which could be vital.

Why do you want Gerrard? You say you can't see why he would take a Championship job when he has already taken a job in a league at least a couple of levels lower. That doesn't make sense....

28 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Maybe a manager who has getting clubs promoted from the championship on his CV ??

Hughton

Colin

is Wagner currently employed?

I can take substance over style for one season.

We've got to stop changing style dramatically every time we change a manager....that's a large part of the reason we are still in the Championship..

McClaren - Clement - Wassall - Pearson - McClaren 2 - Rowett - Lampard.... and now 'Substance' again ?   It's never worked before.

I hope MM has finally learned his lesson in that regard. 

6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

8 million! That’s a ridiculous sum of money for a bonus to anyone, yet alone a championship manager! Ain’t my money but Christ I wouldn’t be throwing that around! Would love gerrard here, would be a serious coup, but I just can’t see it happening. Really don’t think he’d take it, he’ll show loyalty to rangers I’m sure. Would be exciting if it did happen mind, to be able to attract the players he’ll be able to- we won’t lose much in that respect when we lose Lampard if so. Would probably be one of the few options available that would genuinely get me excited- provided he plays decent football of course, I haven’t seen much of rangers so should hope the board make sure of that. Other than that though, that would be a serious appointment. Would certainly lessen the blow of losing Lampard. Good to see Mel would stick to his guns of not going for dinosaurs too, tho I would have some reservations again about lack of experience, would rather someone with more than one season to their name myself but hey, better than pardew! Just don’t think anything money wise will tempt him away. It’s just too unrealistic imo to try for him, he’ll be happy there so why would he jump to our nightmare job? Not gonna happen, barely worth trying. 

Surely we haven’t really decided he’s the first choice yet to replace Lampard. We’ve not even had the official approach yet, shouldn’t even really be considering managers until that happens. Certainly not deciding on our first choice until lampards gone and we’ve spoken to our main options, which we can’t until the position is vacant! Particularly when that first choice is as unrealistic as gerrard, need to be careful to know our level I feel. Wouldnt have thought financial details like this would be thought about until our decision is made and we open contract talks either, it’s a very odd story.  We can obviously afford it if we go up mind, so whatever gets the right men here I guess! 

Still couldn’t see why gerrard would take a championship job though. He’d get a prem job by taking us up so I guess there’s that, but I’d think he could get there without having to dip down to the second tier. If he wants to succeed klopp one day, for one he’ll need patience cause he ain’t going anywhere soon, and secondly he’ll need to be managing high in the prem. Itll take a lot to get us there, near miracle in fact. Don’t see why he’d risk it, he could get a better job if he waits and wins summat at rangers.

7m for Lampard and his coaching staff would be seriously good business mind as that’ll be mental money for championship coaches, almost unbelievably good. Kudos to Mel if he pulls that off, would be serious business from him. Should help us be able to afford gerrard if by some miracle he did want to join in terms of compo needed to get him out of rangers. Is a good point that a big name in charge will attract the investors we’ve been looking for for a while. Could help us with a bigger budget next year which could be vital.

I think that the article did make reference to the fact that Lampard currently has an £8million bonus in his contract so presuming that it'd be like for like.

1 minute ago, Highgate said:

We've got to stop changing style dramatically every time we change a manager....that's a large part of the reason we are still in the Championship..

McClaren - Clement - Wassall - Pearson - McClaren 2 - Rowett - Lampard.... and now 'Substance' again ?   It's never worked before.

100%.  Great post.

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Why do you want Gerrard? You say you can't see why he would take a Championship job when he has already taken a job in a league at least a couple of levels lower. That doesn't make sense....

I ain’t going over this with you again. You’re deluded if you think the SPL is that far below the championship.

1 minute ago, Highgate said:

I agree with the stability argument, but that will mean Frank seeing out his contract which is my preferred option. Of the list you quote how many of them have a Championship promotion on their CV ?  Pearson maybe ? If Lamps does go we need a manager who knows how to put a winning team together.

The 8 million bonus fee is for Promotion to the premier league, that is the same amount Lampard would of got if we had beaten Villa in the POF.

Gerrard would be a massive appointment and is the perfect person to replace Frank IF he leaves. He changed a struggling Rangers side and got them fired up and playing for shirt, i was impressed by there style of play.

All in all i will support whoever is manager, i just think Gerrard would be very good for us compared to others if the stories are true.

27 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

How? The SPL is much lower quality than the Championship. For me Gerrard is not ready to take the Derby job. He does need to ply his trade in the lower leagues which is what he is doing. Maybe in 2 or 3 years he might be ready, who knows....

Winning things.

European football.

big pressure job.

Look, it's easy to dismiss Scottish football and sneer away at it, so, you do that.

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Winning things.

European football.

big pressure job.

Look, it's easy to dismiss Scottish football and sneer away at it, so, you do that.

Winning what though? I won the egg and spoon race 3 years in a row at school. Winning a trophy is only credible if you have some kind of decent standard...as I have outlined, when half the teams in it are national league team equivalents in England that is not the case in the SPL. I think the way money now totally dominants football stinks to be honest and is the main reason Scottish football is dying a death and the standard is so poor. 30 years ago before SKY there was still a big gap but Scottish teams could at least compete. Now they can't, the gap is getting wider and wider each year and the standard of football getting worse and worse. That is the reality of the situation unfortunately.....

37 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Yeah I think we can afford it, just seems mad in the first place.

He only gets the bonus if he gets us promoted. If that happens Mel could give Gerrard his £8 million bonus and then get another £8 mill in cash, pile it up in the middle of Pride Park, set fire to it and still easily be able to afford it.

11 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Winning what though? I won the egg and spoon race 3 years in a row at school. Winning a trophy is only credible if you have some kind of decent standard...as I have outlined, when half the teams in it are national league team equivalents in England that is not the case in the SPL. I think the way money now totally dominants football stinks to be honest and is the main reason Scottish football is dying a death and the standard is so poor. 30 years ago before SKY there was still a big gap but Scottish teams could at least compete. Now they can't, the gap is getting wider and wider each year and the standard of football getting worse and worse. That is the reality of the situation unfortunately....

spacer.png

58 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Be interested to know if those who like the idea of Gerrard have seen much of Rangers this season.

I've watched them plenty, due to family ties. Two banks of four. Nothing like Lampard.

Yes Nutfly I was going to bring this up also, people who are dismissing the Cowley's are upping Gerrard, perhaps it's the name that makes the style more attractive because definitely the style is very similar ie: quick from back to front.

18 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

spacer.png

Well, I have made it clear as to how I have come to my opinion of the standard of the SPL, instead of coming back with counter arguments explaining why this is not the case and why it is a decent league worth winning people post silly photos like this.....wonder why???

Archived