Suggestions for the next Derby manager

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Well, I have made it clear as to how I have come to my opinion of the standard of the SPL, instead of coming back with counter arguments explaining why this is not the case and why it is a decent league worth winning people post silly photos like this.....wonder why???

Because my experience of people who dismiss Scottish football is there's basically no point.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, hintonsboots said:

I agree with the stability argument, but that will mean Frank seeing out his contract which is my preferred option. Of the list you quote how many of them have a Championship promotion on their CV ?  Pearson maybe ? If Lamps does go we need a manager who knows how to put a winning team together.

I agree...but also preferably one that likes his team to play in a way not too dissimilar to FL's team.  Those two criteria are not mutually exclusive in my opinion. 

In the grand scheme of things, if a manager sat down with Mel and demanded £8mil as a bonus, should he get us promoted, then that's not exactly a bad deal.

If a manager earns our club about £170m in revenue for one season, chucking him about 4% of that as a thank you isn't really that much.

4 minutes ago, Bluedogmaz said:

Just seen the interview and agree with previous poster didn't really do that at all.

It was McClarenesque in fact!

Do you have a link to it, or was it just on the telly?

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

Be interested to know if those who like the idea of Gerrard have seen much of Rangers this season.

I've watched them plenty, due to family ties. Two banks of four. Nothing like Lampard.

What is his style of play like? Closer to a Pulis type team or a Lampard like team. The formation doesn't really matter as long as we aren't going back to Clement or Rowett times.

If we are playing 4-4-2 I wouldn't be overly fussed - would be good to see Marriott and Waggers up top together a bit more. We aren't exactly blessed with a ton of quality wingers for the 4-3-3 other than Lawrence.

2 minutes ago, GenBr said:

What is his style of play like? Closer to a Pulis type team or a Lampard like team. The formation doesn't really matter as long as we aren't going back to Clement or Rowett times.

If we are playing 4-4-2 I wouldn't be overly fussed - would be good to see Marriott and Waggers up top together a bit more. We aren't exactly blessed with a ton of quality wingers for the 4-3-3 other than Lawrence.

Pulis would be harsh. Every time I've watched them play it's been either 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1. Not particularly free-flowing. Much more about doing the basics, working the ball down the channels and getting it across into the path of onrunning forwards. 

The introduction of Kent and Kamara improved things massively because they offered a lot more technique. I also have a big soft spot for Ryan Jack. Proper hard man in the midfield, doing the dirty work. Would happily see all three of them at Pride Park next season ? 

1 hour ago, GenBr said:

He only gets the bonus if he gets us promoted. If that happens Mel could give Gerrard his £8 million bonus and then get another £8 mill in cash, pile it up in the middle of Pride Park, set fire to it and still easily be able to afford it.

Yeah this is what I mean. Anything offered on promotion is a drop in the ocean.

33 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Is it online? I'd like to see it 

It'll keep popping back up on Sky Sports News I'd imagine. 

The interviewer asks his if he's aware of the Derby link - he says yes. Then he asks is it the interest or the reports of interest that you're aware of and Gerrad says both. Then he says something like 'can you reaffirm your commitment to Rangers?' And Gerrard says 'Do I really have to? To you?'. To which the reporter says no you don't.

Summat like that anyway. He's a ram now.

Not keen on the whole Gerrard thing tbh - if he came he'd be leaving Rangers after one season.  Any sort of reasonable season here and he'd be gone at the end of if.  If thats how its going to be I'd take crap football for a season from a proven manager with a track record on promotions or (preferably) a younger attack minded manager willing to play youth and with a commitment to stick around for at least a couple of seasons to actually give him chance to develop the squad.

Archived