Suggestions for the next Derby manager

2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He very nearly cracked it with the Commons, kuqi, Bueno attack .  Then Commons got sold for £1.99 and Bueno didn't want to play anymore after the delights of a December game at Turf Moor.  Seeing as Forest fans reckon he revealed he called his dog Bobby after Zamora at a fan meet and greet, my feeling is  he may be a bit aggrieved and not fancy coming back .   Still at least he came here and gave it a go, unlike Forest who he couldn't be arsed with .  They deny it bothers them but mention it to one of them and you'll the see the bottom lip tremble .

I served the Burton first team staff at work a few weeks back and honestly Martyn Taylor seemed to be a lot more hostile (only in as much as seemed to feel sad about how it ended) towards Derby than Cloughy did, the latter was very interested in me and another barman being Derby season ticket holders, wished us good luck for the play offs and said he hoped we'd finally succeed. All of them were top class to speak to though, not trying to slag anyone off here. Just don't think the rumours of Clough hating Derby are true, more of a Forest fan idea to try and prove that the Clough family love them more than us. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

I've never really understood Scottish football. You don't tend to see FC Basle fans claiming that they're this huge European powerhouse just because they win every game in the Swiss Super League. And Basle would hammer Rangers.

I could achieve a treble treble with Celtic. I could definitely finish second with Rangers. So i'd suggest that Gerrard is completely unproven in any real footballing test. Lampard has one year's more experience of managing a football club (a real football club in a real league) than Gerrard has.

On their forum they really have delusions of grandeur, we're little Derby County to them, despite the fact they play in a league with absymal quality below the top few and with terrible viewership. The Championship is a good test for a manager, purely because of how competitive it is, and it shows with the recent influx of quality managers such as Bielsa choosing to come manage in this league.

It's not like Rangers are even close to catching up with Celtic in revenue or caliber of player, so what does Gerrard really hope to achieve there? Get lucky and win a cup? 

Forest, Leeds and Wednesday syndrome I reckon, think they're way bigger than they are.

20 minutes ago, Andicis said:

On their forum they really have delusions of grandeur, we're little Derby County to them, despite the fact they play in a league with absymal quality below the top few and with terrible viewership. The Championship is a good test for a manager, purely because of how competitive it is, and it shows with the recent influx of quality managers such as Bielsa choosing to come manage in this league.

It's not like Rangers are even close to catching up with Celtic in revenue or caliber of player, so what does Gerrard really hope to achieve there? Get lucky and win a cup? 

Forest, Leeds and Wednesday syndrome I reckon, think they're way bigger than they are.

No argument that Rangers are a big club, for me a size of the club is directly proportional to the size of their following. Rangers have more fans than Derby County similarly as Derby County have more fans than Wigan Athletic (for example). Rangers have one of the biggest followings in the United Kingdom, therefore are rightfully one of the biggest clubs in the United Kingdom. Nothing more or less. They can't help the league they play in, nor should it matter when arguing who is the bigger club. It's a pointless, knob swinging, argument. The best manager in the world, at least in my opinion, Pep Guardiola, is manager of a medium sized club with investment. Do their fans not deserve success or a competitive team because they don't have the following of the others? Of course not. 

Gerrard, in my opinion, has one of the easiest jobs in the world at the moment. He could turn up pissed up every single match, not run a single training session and tell the lads to only turn up for games and still finish in the top 2. I think anyone who can talk in coherent sentences would comfortably finish 2nd with Rangers and 1st with Celtic. Fortunately, for Rangers and Gerrard, Celtic have hired someone who struggles with the coherent sentence remit and they have a great chance to win the league next season. If he comes here I don't think he's cut out for the job and it would be a costly mistake for both us and him - ours in monetary terms and his in reputation terms. I could be wrong, but hiring him would be nothing more than a PR stunt. We should see what Beckham is up to if that's our ultimate goal. 

3 hours ago, papa_lazarou said:

The quote is nonsense. He got Burton promoted from being a non league outfit. Not an easy job. Of course we can sit here and criticise his tactics etc, but he was working with some pretty limited resources when he came to us. Personally I think we treated him like crap, Mac came in and took his team on and in 'my opinion' got the plaudits. No one is going to know what he could have achieved as his time was ended, and speculation on his ability about getting us promoted is purely that, speculation.

Highly unlikely he would return anyway. He should be remembered for doing a difficult job and ultimately delivering what he was asked to do. That was cut the wage bill, ship out some of the dross, and steady the boat and keep us from sliding further down the football league.

Quite rightly too! Clough could have been with us for another ten years and his timidity and aversion to flair would have delivered no better than he had before, not to mention the boredom. Look at our league position every season since he left! Nothing more needs to be said about a manager who pursued Connor Sammon for years.

38 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

No argument that Rangers are a big club, for me a size of the club is directly proportional to the size of their following. Rangers have more fans than Derby County similarly as Derby County have more fans than Wigan Athletic (for example). Rangers have one of the biggest followings in the United Kingdom, therefore are rightfully one of the biggest clubs in the United Kingdom. Nothing more or less. They can't help the league they play in, nor should it matter when arguing who is the bigger club. It's a pointless, knob swinging, argument. The best manager in the world, at least in my opinion, Pep Guardiola, is manager of a medium sized club with investment. Do their fans not deserve success or a competitive team because they don't have the following of the others? Of course not. 

Gerrard, in my opinion, has one of the easiest jobs in the world at the moment. He could turn up pissed up every single match, not run a single training session and tell the lads to only turn up for games and still finish in the top 2. I think anyone who can talk in coherent sentences would comfortably finish 2nd with Rangers and 1st with Celtic. Fortunately, for Rangers and Gerrard, Celtic have hired someone who struggles with the coherent sentence remit and they have a great chance to win the league next season. If he comes here I don't think he's cut out for the job and it would be a costly mistake for both us and him - ours in monetary terms and his in reputation terms. I could be wrong, but hiring him would be nothing more than a PR stunt. We should see what Beckham is up to if that's our ultimate goal. 

The only time I ever get into club size debates are with entitled fans of traditional clubs pretending club size is a real thing that matters to cling on to relevance, Rangers have a larger fanbase than Bournemouth yet their revenue doesn't even come close, and I know which one I'd rather manage or play for. But since we're arguing it, the league absolutely makes a difference. Being a big club in Scotland doesn't make you so in England, there are many clubs in England bigger than Celtic.

Even with Lennon, I don't see Rangers being able to catch Celtic, I really don't. Not the same level of finance or playing squad, it's pretty much the easiest job in world football to get Celtic to win the SPL. I don't really have an opinion on Gerrard, since I've seen one Rangers game this season, I just take issue with the arrogance coming out of some of their fans.

11 hours ago, reveldevil said:

When Clough did get money to spend, he spent it on Connor Salmon. 

Maybe paucity of funds sharpened his focus when it came to recruitment, and an excess of funds would see that focus slip?

To be fair when he was here I think he had 7 other signings for around £500k and over, Forsyth, Shackell, Barker, Keogh, Bryson, Russell were the others.

On top of this there were the signings of Brayford,  Bailey and Ben Davies, who were all decent value for money. 

Think it's pretty unfair to just use Sammon to say his big money signings were poor.

19 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

To be fair when he was here I think he had 7 other signings for around £500k and over, Forsyth, Shackell, Barker, Keogh, Bryson, Russell were the others.

On top of this there were the signings of Brayford,  Bailey and Ben Davies, who were all decent value for money. 

Think it's pretty unfair to just use Sammon to say his big money signings were poor.

That's why I said maybe. 

There's no guarantee that he'd have done any better with more money to spend, and I guess the opposite is also true.

21 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Forsyth was a small £150k deal. You forgot Ward and Jacobs

8 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

That's why I said maybe. 

There's no guarantee that he'd have done any better with more money to spend, and I guess the opposite is also true.

Think I probably agree with you, don't think having endless resources available would suit him. Think his teams are more about work ethic and togetherness.

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Forsyth was a small £150k deal. You forgot Ward and Jacobs

Sorry Nigel. ?

I used to think we had friends among the Rangers faithful, this press stirring has surfaced evidence to the contrary ? 

Im not sure how I feel about Gerrard. He's another person, similar to Lampard, whom I admire greatly (and due to my best friend being a scouser I adopted Liverpool as my second team and spent by childhood arguing with people that Gerrard was better than Lampard) but hiring him would be making the assumption that he shares philosophy with Lampard, I'd have thought; which isn't necessarily true.

We probably can't afford to go back to square one AGAIN - if Frank was to leave we need someone who can pickup where he left off with the tactics, style, youth etc.

The best we'll ever do is the playoffs if we have a hard reset every summer.

If he does share a lot of the same perspectives as Frank, then by all means try and get Gerrard - but lets not do it just to replace one legend with another.

12 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Must admit feeling slightly sorry for gerrard there, no real need to try to force a comment out of him, nothings really happened.

Nothing had happened when Rob Dorsett started forcing comments out of Lampard either, to be fair.

The announcement that Sarri was leaving came just before about the 10th time Lampard was asked about the Chelsea job.

I wonder how often Gerrard's been asked about the Liverpool job ?

10 hours ago, Anon said:

How many times have you seen Lincoln play? I've been to a few games and I have to agree that I was a little disappointed with the way Lincoln set out to play. It's very effective, but it bears quite an alarming similarity to Rowett-ball. I was kind of hoping that they were adaptive with their tactics and I'd witnessed some anomalies.

I live in Lincoln so over the few years they’ve been there probably about 5 a season with friends... they pretty much have the same tactics every game. It’s very effective and they are good at it, it’s just boring to watch. 

Article in the Times this morning saying we would approach Gerrard if (when) FL goes to Chelsea, as he fits the young high profile manager. However, not interested and wants to carry on at Rangers as money is not his motivation and it wouldn't look good on his CV to jump ship after a year referring to his playing career. He says it wasn't his way as a player to go through lots of clubs and should be the same as manager.

Just wondering if it would be same if it was Liverpool though... 

13 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Article in the Times this morning saying we would approach Gerrard if (when) FL goes to Chelsea, as he fits the young high profile manager. However, not interested and wants to carry on at Rangers as money is not his motivation and it wouldn't look good on his CV to jump ship after a year referring to his playing career. He says it wasn't his way as a player to go through lots of clubs and should be the same as manager.

Just wondering if it would be same if it was Liverpool though... 

Or Newcastle?

Archived