Suggestions for the next Derby manager

21 minutes ago, Coconut said:

In the event of this happening I'd consider changing my username to Cocunut, but I think it would irritate the bejeezus out of the grammar nazi in me every time I saw it! Worse yet I'd be worried people thought I was too stupid to spell coconut correctly!

Make it easy for everyone... and your OCD... and just hyphenate it... Cocu-nut.  Clear and obvious in every way.

If you don't, then I'll change mine to Mucocu 1884... And neither of us would want that!    :-) 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Isn't this how it all works in the media these days - one rag piggy-backing another papers' story under the guise of "according to reports"? If the first mention of Cocu was in today's Times then it's down to the credibility of the journalist who broke the story and not being too sure about the accuracy of Jonathan Northcrofts' previous speculations I would leave other posters to comment on.

Any subsequent newspaper articles on the possibility of Cocu joining I would take with a pinch of salt.

Cocu certainly looks to have the right philosophy then, everything points towards him being an excellent appointment for me. Just need Lampard to hurry up and go to Chelsea so we can get things moving with our new manager. Hopefully that will be soon given it’s inevitable now, hopefully early this week. Absolute nightmare that this is dragging on through the start of pre season, really disrupting to our preparations to not have the man who’s gonna start the season starting pre season. Would think by the end of the week all will be sorted... hopefully.

So the Rowett compensation of £ 2m provides the funds for Frank's salay for 12 months, then the £4m compensation for Frank funds Cocu's salary for at least 2 years - that would be a great bit of business for our clever and astute entrepreneur Mr Mel Morris 

And surely any potential investment that relied on a high profile manager would be maintained

Not getting my hopes up but that would probably be an upgrade on Lampard as far as tactics and on the training ground goes.

He’s obviously the best case scenario when Lampard leaves. Glad we’re looking outside the box, if we end up with Hughton or someone else like that the interest in the club with drop off if we’re not top 2.

1 minute ago, Leicester Ram said:

Not getting my hopes up but that would probably be an upgrade on Lampard as far as tactics and on the training ground goes.

He’s obviously the best case scenario when Lampard leaves. Glad we’re looking outside the box, if we end up with Hughton or someone else like that the interest in the club with drop off if we’re not top 2.

So you reckon interest will drop off if we're say 3rd or 4th? In fact anywhere in the top 6?

This is just the sort of random left-field suggestion, that is implausible enough, but just tantalisingly possible for us to fill another 50 pages with by teatime ?

We just need a few more random "legends" to emerge during the week to threaten the George Thorne 500 pages....

Let's just hope it doesn't become a complete cocup ?

1 hour ago, Coconut said:

In the event of this happening I'd consider changing my username to Cocunut, but I think it would irritate the bejeezus out of the grammar nazi in me every time I saw it! Worse yet I'd be worried people thought I was too stupid to spell coconut correctly!

Hyphenate it and you'll be ok. Cocu-nut?

Arsene Wenger tipped Bergkamp to be a 'very good coach'. 

Bergkamp completed his course with the Dutch FA alongside former international team-mates Phillip Cocu, Patrick Kluivert and Michael Reiziger.

Bergkamp witnessed Cocu as a coach first hand. “We were in the same group for our coaching licences, and we shared a room at the KNVB (Dutch federation) headquarters when we had to stay overnight,” said the Iceman. “So we’ve been around together quite a lot. With his ideas and remarks you could notice he saw the tactical elements of the game on a high level as a manager as well"

Bergkamp thinks Cocu’s personality suits his role as manager: “He exudes calmness, and that’s important. It comes natural to him, he is down to earth. It means he can focus on his strengths. And he can touch players in the right way. He doesn’t get confused quickly, regardless of the kind of pressure he has to deal.”

See @angieram its not so daft.

3 hours ago, Jonesy90 said:

I always think average points per game, rather than win percentage, gives a more accurate figure for managers.

Cocu @ Fenerbahce - 0.93

Cocu @ PSV Eindhoven - 2.22

Cocu average ppg - 1.57

Frank Lampard’s last season was 1.63. Looks like Cocu had a mess to sort at Fenerbahce, so an average ppg of 2.22 is very impressive.

Not quite as impressive when you realise its PSV. They're always going to win lots of games

7 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Not quite as impressive when you realise its PSV. They're always going to win lots of games

It's still a higher PPG average than any other manager in PSV's history.

Archived