Suggestions for the next Derby manager

13 minutes ago, Arsene Titman said:

I’m not sure if this has been posted but this is part of The Times article that explains why Cocu did badly at Fenerbache.

”Cocu, who was No 2 to Bert Van Marwijk when Holland reached the 2010 World Cup final, has been out of work since being dismissed by Fenerbahce last October just four months into an ill-fated stint in Turkey. However the Istanbul club were operating within budget constraints and attempting to refashion their squad using young players, in an effort to comply with Uefa Financial Fair Play Rules.”

Are you reading Frank? This is your future.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always think average points per game, rather than win percentage, gives a more accurate figure for managers.

Cocu @ Fenerbahce - 0.93

Cocu @ PSV Eindhoven - 2.22

Cocu average ppg - 1.57

Frank Lampard’s last season was 1.63. Looks like Cocu had a mess to sort at Fenerbahce, so an average ppg of 2.22 is very impressive.

Can Derby afford Cocu? Taking into consideration how much Derby we’re willing to pay Frank to stay,  this article confirms yes...

“His annual salary is reported to be €2.5 million, about 5 times more than what he was earning at his previous club (PSV).”

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.turkishfootballnews.com/2018/06/22/fenerbahce-appoint-phillip-cocu-manager/amp/

13 minutes ago, Jonesy90 said:

I always think average points per game, rather than win percentage, gives a more accurate figure for managers.

Cocu @ Fenerbahce - 0.93

Cocu @ PSV Eindhoven - 2.22

Cocu average ppg - 1.57

Frank Lampard’s last season was 1.63. Looks like Cocu had a mess to sort at Fenerbahce, so an average ppg of 2.22 is very impressive.

Not sure where the 1.57 ppg comes from - over his managerial career with both clubs it's 2.08 - still impressive

2 minutes ago, Jonesy90 said:

Can Derby afford Cocu? Taking into consideration how much Derby we’re willing to pay Frank to stay,  this article confirms yes...

“His annual salary is reported to be €2.5 million, about 5 times more than what he was earning at his previous club (PSV).”

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.turkishfootballnews.com/2018/06/22/fenerbahce-appoint-phillip-cocu-manager/amp/

Unless Fenerbahce are still paying up his contract then his current salary is £0 - that's not to say he would come cheap, even if there was interest on his part (which I would be more than happy with).

6 hours ago, angieram said:

If appointed will @RamNut change his name? Will there be Forum wars, @Coconut

PS First name that I am excited about. Could we afford him? 

In the event of this happening I'd consider changing my username to Cocunut, but I think it would irritate the bejeezus out of the grammar nazi in me every time I saw it! Worse yet I'd be worried people thought I was too stupid to spell coconut correctly!

If Lampard goes, Cocu would be a huge coup.

I’ve mentioned before the need to follow on from Lampard with an exciting appointment because it would massively soften the blow of losing him.

This time last year, Frank arrived and I’ve honestly never seen the forum so united behind a decision or appointment before. There was genuine excitement and I think almost everyone was wishing the season started tomorrow.

I’m not saying managers like Darren Moore or Phil Neville would fail here, and if we went that way I would get behind them, but it would not excite me in the slightest, and as much as I’d try to be optimistic about the season, it would be much harder to do that. You can read the threads on here to see the reaction of simply being linked to the these kinds of managers, let alone actually hiring them, and it’s obvious there are many likely candidates that would strongly divide opinion.

Cocu is one of the few who I think would genuinely make Lampard leaving seem like less of an issue. It would hopefully mean we are less transitional in terms of style or needing to find certain personnel to suit a different style, and would mean the time lost in preparation from the managerial change doesn’t hinder our prospects his year.

Archived