Suggestions for the next Derby manager

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Classic DET, get no stories of their own so all they can do to fill the pages is copy and paste other stories onto an unreadable format covered with ads.

On the links with Cocu tho- this is much more like it! Deffo an appointment I’d back, never really seen his sides play so ensure on style of football, given his footballing past tho I’d imagine it to be some sort of incarnation of total football which I’d be delighted with. Looks to be a Quality manager given what he achieved at PSV so I’d be well happy with him as our next manager should we be able to pull it off. I doubt whether it’d be realistic mind, I suspect he’d still be able to get a job abroad in Europe somewhere that’s bigger than ours so I’m not convinced he’d come here, would be over the moon if he did mind! Got some proper managerial experience too. Time for our first foreign coach? I think so.

Surprising that we’d make a decision on him being the man we want to replace Lampard before lampards gone and we’ve looked at/interviewed all our options mind. That’s when I’d expect a decision to be made, not now, especially given he’s a little unrealistic for me and Lampard is currently still our manager. Good to see him among the options mind, hopefully shows the calibre of manager we’re looking at as well as the style of coach we’re looking for. Bodes well hopefully. Think we’ll hear something today on the Lampard situation, it’s all a bit of a mess at the moment and it can’t drag on with all this speculation. Especially with pre season starting tomorrow, we need a decision soon. Naturally would prefer Lampard to stay for continuity, but at least it’s become clear we’re building a list of options while negotiations over his potential exit carry on. Hopefully if all the candidates are of similar stature to Cocu who looks to be on the list, then Should Lampard leave, we should have some good candidates to replace him to interviews and decide upon the best of- and hopefully be able to progress from this season while continuing to play attacking football.

I want to stay on topic here but I find it pretty funny that the same paper reporting the Cocu "story" are the same ones recently running a ridiculous "story" about a certain prominent opposition politicians alleged frailty and weakness.

Both non stories in my mind.

48 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Time for our first foreign coach? I think so.

Not sure this is right?  There was Schteve wotsit, and then thingummy McClaren, so at least two Dutchmen before him!

Not to mention BD, who was not only foreign, but from another f**kin' planet!  

18 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Not sure this is right?  There was Schteve wotsit, and then thingummy McClaren, so at least two Dutchmen before him!

Not to mention BD, who was not only foreign, but from another f**kin' planet!  

Pearson was also some sort of alien sent to destroy the club as well let’s not forget

Cocu was my favourite player in his Barcelona and Netherlands sides. Always focused on him in games when he played. Looks as if he has a strong track record as manager. 

One thing Lampard has done is bring the feel good factor back to the club. Having such a great player and global star, and a good man, had had a massive impact in uniting ownership, management, players and fans. 

If Frank goes this is potentially a strong appointment, like when Swansea got Laudrup. Cocu would potentially have the presence to build on what Lampard began. I do think we'll know about Frank tomorrow. He won't want to muck us about and will know the time has come to to decide.

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

One thing Lampard has done is bring the feel good factor back to the club. Having such a great player and global star, and a good man, had had a massive impact in uniting ownership, management, players and fans. 

If Frank goes this is potentially a strong appointment, like when Swansea got Laudrup. Cocu would potentially have the presence to build on what Lampard began. I do think we'll know about Frank tomorrow. He won't want to muck us about and will know the time has come to to decide.

You've nailed one of the things that makes me think this might have legs.

If Mel was saying on TalkSport (and reiterating yesterday) that he wants to appointment someone who will have a good connection with the fans, that suggests either a former player/manager who is already a fan favourite (can't think of many examples other than Paul Simpson, perhaps) or a bit of a star name like Cocu.

Fingers crossed we don't get a 'wide of the mark' DET article later, because so far this is the only name that's been reported that actually gets me excited. 

I’m not sure if this has been posted but this is part of The Times article that explains why Cocu did badly at Fenerbache.

”Cocu, who was No 2 to Bert Van Marwijk when Holland reached the 2010 World Cup final, has been out of work since being dismissed by Fenerbahce last October just four months into an ill-fated stint in Turkey. However the Istanbul club were operating within budget constraints and attempting to refashion their squad using young players, in an effort to comply with Uefa Financial Fair Play Rules.”

6 minutes ago, Arsene Titman said:

I’m not sure if this has been posted but this is part of The Times article that explains why Cocu did badly at Fenerbache.

”Cocu, who was No 2 to Bert Van Marwijk when Holland reached the 2010 World Cup final, has been out of work since being dismissed by Fenerbahce last October just four months into an ill-fated stint in Turkey. However the Istanbul club were operating within budget constraints and attempting to refashion their squad using young players, in an effort to comply with Uefa Financial Fair Play Rules.”

I did a bit more reading around it, they had to make a 60 million pound profit within the season to comply with FFP, meaning they had to sell a load of players and use mediocre loans to fill up the gaps (basically unwanted players from PL teams).

We're no where near as bad and we have a great academy to work with.

Archived