Well Frank, you got it all wrong today...

DanS1992

7 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Did Frank get it wrong today?

Did he tell the players, not to play with commitment and energy, not to push up the pitch and support the central striker, not to close down Leeds when they had the ball, not to move the ball quickly? No.

Was he let down today, by to many players not performing to the standards expected of them? Yes.

Players who have shown in numerous games throughout the course of this season, that they are capable of giving a better performance than they did today.

So did Frank get it wrong today? No.

I think that’s exactly what he told them... and that was tactical suicide

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

You've missed my point entirely either intentionally or through ignorance.  

Clearly through ignorance. 

Please explain. I'm obviously not on your level of intelligence.

Can you write it in big letters please. I have a problem with joined up writing.

I'll check it out in the morning. My mummy just shouted up to put my tablet down and go to sleep.

3 minutes ago, Charlie Dram said:

Clearly through ignorance. 

Please explain. I'm obviously not on your level of intelligence.

Can you write it in big letters please. I have a problem with joined up writing.

I'll check it out in the morning. My mummy just shouted up to put my tablet down and go to sleep.

I think you need to understand that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit before we discuss anything else.

For me, Frank did it get it wrong today. I'm not criticising but for me we played much better after we made changes. Wilson inside causes havoc. They always bring him down and he's sees so much more of the ball, as he didn't second half. Marriots energy and willingness to chase is better than Nugent trying to do the same AND Marriott can finish. Lawrence was a passenger today and we really missed Waggy for sure. Holmes was great unt he had to go off, energy and ability to go at players is so good. For me, Wednesday is a free hit, Bielsa thinks he has us and the way we play, maybe he does. SO let's play Wilson inside, Mount at 10 or Lawrence? Marriott must start if Waggy still out. Start Bennett (for Lawrence maybe) let's confuse the duck out of Bielsa and be really positive first 20, see what happens, drag them all over the park....cmon Derby, let's have them in their own back yard!!

15 minutes ago, SJDRams7 said:

For me, Frank did it get it wrong today. I'm not criticising but for me we played much better after we made changes. Wilson inside causes havoc. They always bring him down and he's sees so much more of the ball, as he didn't second half. Marriots energy and willingness to chase is better than Nugent trying to do the same AND Marriott can finish. Lawrence was a passenger today and we really missed Waggy for sure. Holmes was great unt he had to go off, energy and ability to go at players is so good. For me, Wednesday is a free hit, Bielsa thinks he has us and the way we play, maybe he does. SO let's play Wilson inside, Mount at 10 or Lawrence? Marriott must start if Waggy still out. Start Bennett (for Lawrence maybe) let's confuse the duck out of Bielsa and be really positive first 20, see what happens, drag them all over the park....cmon Derby, let's have them in their own back yard!!

All that’s not a bad shout.

Marriott yes, because we’ve done trying Nugent to death, he just don’t score whether he brings others into the game or not. Let’s hope Waggy is fit but Wilson inside why not, he does drag fouls as you say and who knows we might get a wonder free kick as a result. 

Plenty wouldn’t put Bennett ahead of say Lawrence or Wilson out wide but he gives us muscle and at times both of those got muscled out of it. So I’d be happy to see it, I’ll be surprised if Frank does but maybe that’s what we need a surprise tactic.

As others have said on different threads on same topic tonight, I think Leeds do have our number for sure. We have the players to hurt them but not sure if the current formation (against Leeds this season) allows us to do this as we need it to. They did seem to overrun us in the middle of the park today and very much so down our left where Malone was exposed for me me. We are better attacking from the off, play with pace, freedom and passion, first goal is crucial. They will wobble if we get it like Hull did at their place. I would start 4 2 3 1 with Hudds and Johno, try and get some posession and go from there. Bottom line, we need to play higher or stop them from pressing us high at least, get a foothold and see what that brings. West Brom away anyone?

10 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Lampard bottled that. Not the team, the team did fine in the circumstances. Lampard bottled it and I Expect him to say as much post match. From 10 minutes in that match was only going one way.

Disappointed, could take a loss if we actually went at them. But we didn’t, we were scared of them, and just stood off them and let them do what they want. Lampard couldn’t have got that more wrong. In fact I’d be willing to say more than half this forum could have set the team up better than Lampard did there.

I’m willing to bet you are one of them?

leeds are a decent side and they played better than us today, Bogle wasn’t told to not get get forward ,Leeds gave him little chance to get forward , this thread is like listening to that idiot rammage on the radio ,play Marriott and all will be well frank cutting his nose off to spite his face  rubbish ,

It’s very easy to do better than the manager when you haven’t actually got to do it 

right boges I want you getting forward ,just stay up there no matter whether they have the ball and we need defender just get forward son , oh and if you get the chance pass it to Martin ,he’s god

Bielsa did get the better of Lampard, again. I don't see why this is any kind of revelation or apparently a bone of contention for some of you. Bielsa is a world renowned coach with 3 decades of managerial experience. It doesn't make Lampard a bad manager to get turned over by the guy in his rookie season.

I do take issue with those absolving the players of any blame. Even if our tactics were wrong, you at least try to win your individual battles on the pitch, and too many of our players fell well short of this yesterday. Duane Holmes seemed to be the only player who realised the magnitude of the fixture. Wilson and Lawrence hid. Johnson was anonymous, and Malone.... the less said about his display the better.

As many others have said Leeds know how to stop us playing and we don’t have the personal on the bench to change it. 

They press us ridiculously high knowing we don’t have The players to be able to play around them, we need a very good DM for this some one of the calibre of the old gorgeous George, but because they give us no time and there isn’t an option to pass to we have to go long. Marriott and Nugent are not target men, Waggy is decent if you can put the ball on his chest but can still get dominated in the air. Next season we need a player on the bench we can bring on to play off when the passing isn’t working. 

Disappointing game, kind of expected it though they’re a proper bogey side for us this season. 

How often do managers who get their team promoted via the playoffs stay for a complete season?

We have a young manager with a fine footballing brain and a massive career behind him and determined to be equally successful from now on.

Yes, he will get things wrong when the heat is at max but Mr Lampard does not strike me as a man who will run out of the kitchen closing the fire doors behind him.

We’re still in the kitchen, let’s trust the chef (chief) to find a winning recipe on Wednesday night.

PS. It’s not the end of the world if we miss out this season anyway!

If you watch at the start only half the players were pressing. You need to press as a team. Nugent must have been asked to ‘sit’ on Kelvin Phillips when out of possession. This gave their two centre backs time. The other problem with doing that was that if we broke Nugent was a mother ten yards back and knackered. Lawrence and Wilson did not press and did not cover their respect full backs. This left only Mount and Holmes doing the pressing. 

I was very frustrated yesterday as it was an opportunity to get a result against a team that was not in form and under pressure. It was frustrating that we did not go for it more, but had we conceded a second we would have been down and out. 

History in the playoffs tells us that losing at home first leg means you don’t go through. We may concede first five and get hammered, we may play Marriott and him chase down the keeper faffing about at the back and get back in it...who knows?

The point being we are still have A CHANCE and know what we have to do.

8 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I think that’s exactly what he told them... and that was tactical suicide

Can I ask why you believe this? I can’t think of a time this season we have intentionally set up not to press. I can think of several times it hasn’t worked well enough, but can’t think of a time we played deep on purpose.

13 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

So in a week where two English teams have won from 3-0 down on aggregate, we're going to write Derby off. 

Righto. 

I admire your fighting spirit but unless the manager stops being being poo scared of Leeds and sets our team up to play to its strengths we have virtually no chance. 

I find many of the posts on here astonishing.  People saying Lampard doesn't know what he's doing (does that mean he does know what he's doing when we win, but he has no clue when we don't?), or he's "scared" because we lost a match (Scared? Lampard? Really????)

There is another possibility. Leeds are - at this moment in time - a better side than us.

10 hours ago, Cool As Custard said:

When you play against a Bielsa Leeds team you know they are going to press you at the back. We are only comfortable against teams that stand off us & give us time on the ball. When pressed we get trapped deep - Keogh & Tomori look like rabbits in headlights & this is exacerbated when you have Johnson instead of Huddlestone as it means the only thing they can do is go long. 

Unfortunately we dont have a physical presence to play long too - even if Waghorn had been fit it would have made no difference. For games like this with the shape we play we need a big target man to play long to, hold it up & allow us to get out. This wont change for Weds so we have to do something difference.

Only option we have is to play a really high line & condense the play - Leeds will try to do the same & it will become a case of who loses their nerve first & drops deeper - Leeds have more to lose so expect them to drop off & protect their lead. Given we have Tomori at the back we should be confident we have the pace to cover balls over the top & Roos also needs to be prepared to be on the due of his box & sweep. This will get our full backs much further forward.

If we do this then we need to drop Johnson & have someone better on the ball & can spread the play better to the fullbacks so Huddllestone must start. We should also start Marriott as with full backs further forward I’d expect us to be getting more balls into the box & we need someone to get some goals to get us back into the tie.

We cant go out & do the same as we did today. Doing the same thing & expecting a different result is madness so if we are going to get beat lets do it having a go & do something different. It’s a high risk strategy & we will concede but if we do it right I see us winning 3-2 on the night & nicking it on pens! UTR

This is a brilliant analysis and the constructive suggestions are spot on. A Moderator ought to send it to Frank to avoid what I fear will happen - he will stick to his game plan but tell them to execute it better. This would be madness. Leeds prevented us playing out from the back, and we have no one up front - except Forsyth in his prime - who can win the header with the accuracy and consistency needed to exploit the 'kick and hope' long ball from Roos or the centre halves.

Bielsa also negated one of our main strengths which is Keogh's ability to win defensive headers. It was hardly ever called upon because Leeds played fast balls through us on the ground. So we need numbers, speed and tenacity in midfield. We have our own Kante lurking in the wrong place - put Evans alongside Keogh in a back three (perhaps with Wisdom instead of Bogle) and release Tomori into midfield. Fikayo has the pace, passion, tackling tenacity, football brain and forward passing ability to snuff out Leeds attacks before they reach our 18 yard box. He'd be worth two Johnsons, who was also negated because Leeds played triangles around him. Complete the midfield with Cole and we have a Chelsea midfield of Mount, Tomori and Cole plus our new Archie Gemmill (wee Duane) and Wilson. Marriott and Lawrence would then get the service they need starting from inside Leeds own half when we consistently press high up the pitch as Cool As Custard suggests.

Whether this succeeds or not, we have nothing to lose with this aggressive 3-5-2 and English Frank just might torpedo Argie Bielsa's ship. 

Archived