Jack Marriott

i-Ram

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, superzak said:

There can only be 2 reasons why as a professional footballer you wouldnt push yourself to get in the 18...your injured...you want a transfer

That would have been a fair shout.

There were rumblings that Huddersfield wanted him in Jan, if Jack had made it clear he wanted to leave for a bigger money move that would have done him no favours.

3 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

That would have been a fair shout.

There were rumblings that Huddersfield wanted him in Jan, if Jack had made it clear he wanted to leave for a bigger money move that would have done him no favours.

unproven at Championship level - if he doesn't watch it  - hell be going the other way back to London Road - surprised. - thought he was the one who had the work hard "training" ethic. - to get to the top - like Vardy et al...hope he gets back though - sort your life out - you are a Pro footballer!!

I suspect Marriott's confidence has dipped because he's not scored for quite a while (combination of a hangover from his illness and the inability of the team to create any half-decent chances) - if that is showing in his approach to training then maybe a couple of games out of the squad will be good for him - the one thing that Frank demands is 100% commitment in games and training - which is why Bennett gets so many opportunities.

Could be that it's also partly Frank's inexperience as a manger that means he'll select players such as Nuge (never seen a striker who looks so unlikely to score) ahead of Marriott (most natural finisher we've had since Saunders) because of their attitude - 20+ years of working with top professionals may mean that he's not yet sussed out that (at our level) you occassionally have to comprimise and go with what is best for the team rather than stick to your principles.....

11 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why then doesn't that apply to Nugent and Bennett for example?

Can't believe that Marriott couldn't have done what Waghorn did this evening.

welcome back Roy , must have been hard for you sitting on your hands for the last few games , glad the boys gave a performance last night that has enabled you to come back on here and educate us all

2 hours ago, superzak said:

There can only be 2 reasons why as a professional footballer you wouldnt push yourself to get in the 18...your injured...you want a transfer

I'm not sure those are the only reasons.  For example, you might think that you're pushing yourself but the stats and the coaching staff/manager's experience tells them that you're not going as hard as you can.

Frank's giving Jack a public message that he would be silly to ignore if he wants to stay - If you want to get back into the 18 and on to the pitch then I want more from you in training and I want more from you when you come on. Every session, every game, every minute.

27 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

I'm not sure those are the only reasons.  For example, you might think that you're pushing yourself but the stats and the coaching staff/manager's experience tells them that you're not going as hard as you can.

Frank's giving Jack a public message that he would be silly to ignore if he wants to stay - If you want to get back into the 18 and on to the pitch then I want more from you in training and I want more from you when you come on. Every session, every game, every minute.

Only thing is, FL doesn't want to do it to the point of cutting his nose to spike his face.  This is too crucial a time for the entire club.  We need to react on Sat and if it's a lesson, it's time to give him a chance to shine again.  If, on the other hand, it's a match sharpness issue or something else, then it could be totally the right call to leave him out.  We just don't know what's behind it, but I'm sure Frank wouldn't let this impact on our chances without good reason.  Would he?

1 hour ago, Premier ram said:

welcome back Roy , must have been hard for you sitting on your hands for the last few games , glad the boys gave a performance last night that has enabled you to come back on here and educate us all

Well it's the first game I've seen for a while - so to stop you whingers asking if I'd actually seen how good we were I refrained from posting.

Same old same old with FLs odd management choices.

14 minutes ago, RedSox said:

Only thing is, FL doesn't want to do it to the point of cutting his nose to spike his face.  This is too crucial a time for the entire club.  We need to react on Sat and if it's a lesson, it's time to give him a chance to shine again.  If, on the other hand, it's a match sharpness issue or something else, then it could be totally the right call to leave him out.  We just don't know what's behind it, but I'm sure Frank wouldn't let this impact on our chances without good reason.  Would he?

We kind of do know what's behind it from what Frank has said - at least we know what Frank thinks, but not what Jack's view might be.  I hope we don't get to know Jack's view because that will mean that one of them isn't here any more and I think they're both worth keeping, though Frank more so.

The Jack that was in form and scoring goals is the one we want back, not the ineffectual Jack that has played some minutes after his injury and has now fallen out of the 18.  As it happens I think last night was a good one for Jack to miss because by not playing he enhanced his position in our eyes as fans.  If he had played though, I'm not convinced he would have done any better than the three strikers that did feature (of whom Mason was the most effective). He might have taken the chance that fell to Harry Wilson better had it been him, but that's about it.

But Frank obviously picks his 18 in good part on the basis of what he sees in training, as well as tactically. And Jack's being given the message that he has to train better in order to get in - whatever 'train better' might mean - and then perform better when he gets on the pitch.  I've no idea how well he trains or not so I have to accept Frank's view but I do know that he hasn't been very effective when he has played recently.

3 hours ago, Archied said:

...but it’s worth considering if the data shows that Bennett ,waghorn,nugent are pushing themselves in a way that jacks not matching then it’s there in black and white for the coaches

Hard to believe but there's an answer to your viewpoint - the other three get in before him? Every rule can be broken, ay Frank?

God knows what Kinky or McGrath's data would have shown! 

4 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

whilst i agree with everything you say what abut the aimless shambles that were out on the pitch on tuesday what will happen to them.IMO it is far more important to try harder during a match than in training

I can’t stick up for Frank with this one. At this stage of the season, to have last seasons league one top goalscorer not on the bench is ridiculous. Especially when David Nugent has scored 2 all season, how can you justify such a decision? Maybe something has kicked off in training, but don’t leave him out of the 18 and let him play golf. We’ve spent a good chunk of our budget on him and I see him being our future number 9, we can’t afford to drop someone of that importance from the squad when fighting promotion. 

It is a hard choice. It has been obvious that this season, Lampard respects effort shown every day from the players. Which you cannot blame him for. As someone who has played right at the top, he knows what it takes to get there and succeed.

As other people have said before if you were David Nugent and Mason Bennett, working your ass off every single day in training, and see Marriott get picked over you, not trying, you would question the manager.

I do think Lampard has made a rash decision, leaving out our "best" striker for these crucial games; Tactical decision or not. Or is he thinking long term and hoping that this inspires Jack to push on and achieve even greater things?

As a teacher I see a lot of my colleagues try different methods of inspiring their students in very different ways, and it all depends on what motivates the student. The same applies here, if Marriott is motivated by a need to be in the matchday team, this may end up being a very clever move by Lampard. However if Frank has misjudged Marriott and what motivates him, it could further isolate Jack and cause more issues. Time will tell.

24 minutes ago, DJFern94 said:

It is a hard choice. It has been obvious that this season, Lampard respects effort shown every day from the players. Which you cannot blame him for. As someone who has played right at the top, he knows what it takes to get there and succeed.

As other people have said before if you were David Nugent and Mason Bennett, working your ass off every single day in training, and see Marriott get picked over you, not trying, you would question the manager.

I do think Lampard has made a rash decision, leaving out our "best" striker for these crucial games; Tactical decision or not. Or is he thinking long term and hoping that this inspires Jack to push on and achieve even greater things?

As a teacher I see a lot of my colleagues try different methods of inspiring their students in very different ways, and it all depends on what motivates the student. The same applies here, if Marriott is motivated by a need to be in the matchday team, this may end up being a very clever move by Lampard. However if Frank has misjudged Marriott and what motivates him, it could further isolate Jack and cause more issues. Time will tell.

Anyone who thinks that Mason Bennett should be in the squad ahead of Jack Marriott has rocks in their head....and that would include Mason Bennett...even he knows.!

I did wonder at the time of his appointment how FL would handle players at a level he has never experienced. His playing career (a vast amount of it) he was playing with top drawer professionals, multi trophy winning players both at club level and internationally. Players like Drogba, Rooney, Torres, Makalele, Cole, Gerrard, Ferdinand,Terry etc, the motivation in these players to achieve the level they did must be of the highest level. The motivation of players who have played at Championship level at the highest is quite different. Time will tell if it has been effective but Marriott has never struck me as the mardy type. Hopefully it will have a desired effect, we are running out of time this season though.

21 minutes ago, Gritters said:

Based upon Franks reasons for leaving Marriott out of the team we should be seeing 11 changes on Saturday.

Didn't know whether to put a laugh or clap or cry gif.

Archived