Jack Marriott

i-Ram

This thread is fookin hilarious. Frank's been slagged to high heaven for not playing a lad whose it now seems may have had his head turned and whose reaction to being told he needs to work harder, is to head to the golf course. He doesn't show willing by taking time out to be seen in the gym or the training ground, even if it is in isolation, instead he sulks and ducks off to take in 18 holes! Seriously! Much as I like Jack as a player, if this is all true then his attitude fookin stinks. 

Worse still, folk have moaned their arses off about a lack of commitment at times from the players, the Blackburn game being a case in point, yet when the manager tries to instill a work ethic to address it, there's zero support, instead fans choose to slaughter him for doing so. Utterly cringeworthy.

It rather seems there's not too much support from the players either, perhaps in itself explaining years of tapering performances when we're into the guts of the season, the hard yards if you like. 

Even now that it's known there was more to it than meets the eye, not a single post acknowledging the tough stance taken, even if folk don't fully agree with the decision made. I absolutely despair!

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, 86 points said:

This thread is fookin hilarious. Frank's been slagged to high heaven for not playing a lad whose it now seems may have had his head turned and whose reaction to being told he needs to work harder, is to head to the golf course. He doesn't show willing by taking time out to be seen in the gym or the training ground, even if it is in isolation, instead he sulks and ducks off to take in 18 holes! Seriously! Much as I like Jack as a player, if this is all true then his attitude fookin stinks.

Is it true?

TBH I couldn't blame him, FL chops and changes at the drop of a hat. He looks an excellent finisher and full of willingness to work on the pitch. But like many strikers without some decent midfield support he'll look poor.

#I'mabelieverJack

7 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Frank's been slagged to high heaven for not playing a lad whose it now seems may have had his head turned and whose reaction to being told he needs to work harder, is to head to the golf course.

Jack showed him though, round in under 80 from the back tees, in less than 1 1/2 hours.

10 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Much as I like Jack as a player, if this is all true then his attitude fookin stinks. 

Worse still, folk have moaned their arses off

One poster has made this allegation, not backed up by anyone else that I've seen.

You're normally (slightly) more reasonable than your post suggests, so I'll put it down to the ineptitude of last night's performance clouding your judgement.

29 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Worse still, folk have moaned their arses off about a lack of commitment at times from the players, the Blackburn game being a case in point, yet when the manager tries to instill a work ethic to address it, there's zero support, instead fans choose to slaughter him for doing so. Utterly cringeworthy.

It rather seems there's not too much support from the players either, perhaps in itself explaining years of tapering performances when we're into the guts of the season, the hard yards if you like. 

Even now that it's known there was more to it than meets the eye, not a single post acknowledging the tough stance taken, even if folk don't fully agree with the decision made. I absolutely 

Perhaps the summer was a good time to tackle any issues with Marriotts attitude and not knee deep in a promotion battle, Lampards decision to continuously not select Jack may well have cost us goals, points and ultimately the playoffs.

There are players in this world that hate training, that can't be arsed with diets and still bang goals in on a match day.

A half fit non commited Marriott is worth 2 David Nugents at the minute.

Lampard stance seems to have well truly back fired.

9 minutes ago, goldstar said:

Won't be a popular school of thought but yes, it's very possible. Perhaps Frank should just explain to the rest of the lads that Jack's a special case because he scored a shedload of goals in L1? 

Find the whole thing massively depressing tbh. Thought we'd uncovered a diamond at first. Far from certain now though.

23 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Jack showed him though, round in under 80 from the back tees, in less than 1 1/2 hours.

One poster has made this allegation, not backed up by anyone else that I've seen.

You're normally (slightly) more reasonable than your post suggests, so I'll put it down to the ineptitude of last night's performance clouding your judgement.

Perhaps Revel, but in essence, I stand by my post. More than the performance at Blackburn, I'm riled by the ease with which some will turn on a rookie manager whist assuming nothing but the best about a player. I suspect the balanced view lies somewhere in the middle. 

9 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Won't be a popular school of thought but yes, it's very possible. Perhaps Frank should just explain to the rest of the lads that Jack's a special case because he scored a shedload of goals in L1? 

Find the whole thing massively depressing tbh. Thought we'd uncovered a diamond at first. Far from certain now though.

#bringbrisback

Them comments from mick Mc Carthy do tell a tale which is a worry and if lampard and everyone else do not see the effort in training then who are we to complain? Maybe we will see him sold in the summer if that’s his attitude but as usual we don’t actually know do we

5 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Them comments from mick Mc Carthy do tell a tale which is a worry and if lampard and everyone else do not see the effort in training then who are we to complain? Maybe we will see him sold in the summer if that’s his attitude but as usual we don’t actually know do we

Early doors in his career? But anyway what would you have done with Kinky? Can't say Marriott looked off the pace.

If it's true that Marriott isn't putting in the effort, well, I don't blame Lampard for leaving him out. I didn't watch the Blackburn game, but when reading the comments it looked like our midfield was none existent? It begs the question: what on earth would Marriott have offered in that case?  

Marriott looks like a good option for the game against Bolton, so I hope he's in because he's good enough to be in the matchday squad. He's not good enough to half arse a career out at Derby, though. He's a player with good ability for a Championship footballer, but if he wants to carve a career out here and at the top level then he's got to put in the work.

I trust that Lampard wouldn't leave out a hard working talented player, especially one that he's invested so much in, without good reason. He's definitely not putting in what's required on the training pitch, equally having gained the contract of his life perhaps it's changed his output and he's happy to sit on it. 

As a manager you have to have standards. Lampard has made it quite clear he believes in the ability of Marriott but perhaps not the work ethic. It could well be to the detriment of the team initially but for the long term it has the benefits for both club and player.

If this is an attitude/ work rate off the pitch issue then the onus is on Marriott to sort it. It should not be seen as Lampard making the wrong choice. 

There is clearly a demand for a certain level in training. I like that but it should be a given. I certainly don't see any of our players disrespecting the manager on a match day. 

You only have to look at Johnson to see that the door isn't closed,the players just have to want to go through.

As much as I like Jack for how he's played near the start of the season, and am sure that he'll eventually come good again I think there's a lot of opinion here based upon how he can perform and not how he has performed recently. 

I can only get these figures for league games unfortunately, but between Jack's first league goal (on his first start) at QPR (A) and his last league goal at Norwich (A) he got 40 shots on target over 13 games (or just over 3 per game). Since then he has got 7 shots in 10 games (0.7 per game). To put that into perspective the only outfield players to play against Blackburn and Brentford to have got fewer in that time are Cole, Bryson, Keogh and Bennett. Don't get me wrong, that drop off isn't entirely his fault, there has been an issue with lack of service over some of those games, but it's still a striking drop in form (pardon the pun).

In addition to this, his shots per 90 played has dropped below those of the two challengers for the CF role. From the Boro (H) game onwards Marriott has had a rate of 1.018 (7 in 619 mins), much lower than the 3.412 (40 in 1055 mins) he was averaging between QPR (A) and Norwich (A) and lower than the rates from Boro (H) onwards of Waghorn 1.598 (18 in 1014 mins) and Nugent (surprisingly high) 3.618 (8 in 199 mins), though not as low as Bennett 0.852 (3 in 317 mins). With this said, Bennett's stats come mostly as a wing player, and he has provided more off the bench than any other player, scoring 2 and assisting 3 after coming off the bench this season (2 equalisers in games we then went on to win, 2 game winners, only the assist against West Brom of little significance), so it is understandable why Frank would see worth in him as a substitute. Furthermore, his rate prior to the Brentford game was actually higher than Marriott's, at 1.093.

Now I can't really remember exactly the point I was going to make when I started this, but at least I've procrastinated away 30 minutes or so to get out of doing real work by doing this. Anyway, on the basis of this I can't blame Frank if in a 3 from 4 scenario he decides that Jack has to be the unlucky party based on current form, and in regards to his drop in form I ultimately have to have faith that the manager that sees him most days knows the best course of action to get him back up to speed. I hope he does managed to because a Marriott in form could well be the difference, either this season or next.

8 hours ago, 86 points said:

Same, not what I expected to happen at all. Started off strange with taking weeks to appear, has a great run of games and goals then massively drops off. A real shame because if it is attitude/effort/fitness then it's the complete opposite if what Darragh had promised us. 

8 hours ago, 86 points said:

So you think we'd have seen a different team performance at Blackburn if Marriott had played? 

I think maybe it would of given us something instead of the same old tosh served up by Nugent and Bennett (they run round a lot though bless them, it’s a great attitude ?)

19 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Hard to believe but there's an answer to your viewpoint - the other three get in before him? Every rule can be broken, ay Frank?

God knows what Kinky or McGrath's data would have shown! 

Was not saying it’s right or wrong just that it’s very much a big factor now , the game has changed big style and what were considered luxury players years ago are now expected to put the work in to make the most of extra talent ,, it’s not just derby or lampard roy , it’s the modern game

Something not mentioned so far is the possibility of Marriott struggling mentally - this is the longest barren he's been on for a long time and he may be starting to doubt himself. Frank may have sent him away for a short break to 'sort himself out' and by saying he's omitted due to "tactical reasons", he could be protecting Marriott.

5 minutes ago, Archied said:

...the game has changed big style and what were considered luxury players years ago are now expected to put the work in to make the most of extra talent ,, it’s not just derby or lampard roy , it’s the modern game

Yeah I get it Archie, but it's hard to imagine how rubbish Marriott must be in training to not make the bench when Nugent does! He must sit around eating pies and smoking tabs all day! 

Archived