Jack Marriott

i-Ram

10 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Perhaps the summer was a good time to tackle any issues with Marriotts attitude and not knee deep in a promotion battle, Lampards decision to continuously not select Jack may well have cost us goals, points and ultimately the playoffs.

There are players in this world that hate training, that can't be arsed with diets and still bang goals in on a match day.

A half fit non commited Marriott is worth 2 David Nugents at the minute.

Lampard stance seems to have well truly back fired.

Think your looking back to bygone days of players who didn’t train but knocked goals in , it’s very different now also even those players had to have a level of fitness that allowed them to compete with opponents, managers and coaches should not be faced with having to battle players to get them to do the first basis getting and remaining fit , we want and need players who are desperate to push themselves to be the best they can be so IF this is the problem with Marriott then bomb him out , long term this type of problem is damaging to the player , the players around him ,the manager and coaches and the club

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Archied said:

Think your looking back to bygone days of players who didn’t train but knocked goals in , it’s very different now also even those players had to have a level of fitness that allowed them to compete with opponents, managers and coaches should not be faced with having to battle players to get them to do the first basis getting and remaining fit , we want and need players who are desperate to push themselves to be the best they can be so IF this is the problem with Marriott then bomb him out , long term this type of problem is damaging to the player , the players around him ,the manager and coaches and the club

In the last few games he has played, Marriott has been well off the pace.

I put that down to his injury but it may just be that he’s not putting the fitness work in.

Whatever the truth of the matter, I hope he’s back soon because he’s the best forward we have. The difficulty is trying to find how to incorporate him and Waghorn in the same side.

They don’t seem a natural pairing and neither seem comfortable out wide.

At present, with Lawrence and Wilson being largely  out of form, it would be difficult for any forward. Sadly, Bennett and Nugent are league one forwards and we don’t have the strength in depth when either Marriott or Waghorn is unavailable.

23 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah I get it Archie, but it's hard to imagine how rubbish Marriott must be in training to not make the bench when Nugent does! He must sit around eating pies and smoking tabs all day! 

What I’m saying roy is that all the tech players wear and are tracked by give stuff like heart rate ground covered ,a. Multitude of medical and physical data that undeniably shows the coaches whether players are pushing themselves to their own limits or hiding , in a way that was not poss in years gone by ,it’s very easy now to see if players are pushing themselves to their own personal physical limits rather than trying to compare players with more natural engines to those that dont

5 minutes ago, Archied said:

What I’m saying roy is that all the tech players wear and are tracked by give stuff like heart rate ground covered ,a. Multitude of medical and physical data that undeniably shows the coaches whether players are pushing themselves to their own limits or hiding , in a way that was not poss in years gone by ,it’s very easy now to see if players are pushing themselves to their own personal physical limits rather than trying to compare players with more natural engines to those that dont

I get it Archie, I get it. Still doesn't mean I agree with Nuge being picked before Marriott - there's more to playing than stats.

22 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I get it Archie, I get it. Still doesn't mean I agree with Nuge being picked before Marriott - there's more to playing than stats.

There is. But if you have two players to pick, one always puts the effort but is not as good or one has loads of ability but doesn't give it his all. Initially you can get away with picking the better player but eventually that sends out the wrong message to the squad, through the entire club. Such is modern football.

I don't believe at all that Lampard thinks Nugent is the better option but this is a decision with both the player and the clubs long term in mind. 

11 hours ago, 86 points said:

This thread is fookin hilarious. Frank's been slagged to high heaven for not playing a lad whose it now seems may have had his head turned and whose reaction to being told he needs to work harder, is to head to the golf course. He doesn't show willing by taking time out to be seen in the gym or the training ground, even if it is in isolation, instead he sulks and ducks off to take in 18 holes! Seriously! Much as I like Jack as a player, if this is all true then his attitude fookin stinks. 

Worse still, folk have moaned their arses off about a lack of commitment at times from the players, the Blackburn game being a case in point, yet when the manager tries to instill a work ethic to address it, there's zero support, instead fans choose to slaughter him for doing so. Utterly cringeworthy.

It rather seems there's not too much support from the players either, perhaps in itself explaining years of tapering performances when we're into the guts of the season, the hard yards if you like. 

Even now that it's known there was more to it than meets the eye, not a single post acknowledging the tough stance taken, even if folk don't fully agree with the decision made. I absolutely despair!

Well said. 

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Spot on! Also, if you want to play a high pressing game with your forwards, players need to be in peak physical and mental form. 

I really thought he was a diamond and he could still be.

I don't know what the current issue is and I would guess not many or any on here know.

There is a whole spectrum of reasons all of which are plausible in their own way but we know that FL does not close doors on players (BJ) and we know that M has core ability.   When FL thinks he's ready he will be back, if there is something deeper then we should offload this summer.  

what I'm not willing to do is criticise FL in a situation where I have no knowledge of what is going on

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

I’m guessing that that’s because your an even older git than me and trust me I’m an old git

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Something not mentioned so far is the possibility of Marriott struggling mentally - this is the longest barren he's been on for a long time and he may be starting to doubt himself. Frank may have sent him away for a short break to 'sort himself out' and by saying he's omitted due to "tactical reasons", he could be protecting Marriott.

I've thought that, there have been a few times this year where he has taken an extra touch (or even a touch) , waited that split second longer and the chance has gone. From his interviews he has expressed how he likes to shoot early/first time but it hasn't been evident recently. 

3 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

It sounds like Marriott may be just another typical modern day footballer. Arrogant and thinks he is better than everyone else and so far removed from the real world 

do you have anything at all to support this?  I guess no.  If yes then I apologise unreservedly

here is another unsupported guess/lie - M close family member is seriously ill, FL has given him time off but M does not want anybody to know about it.  ?story but unless you can show of your claim, your story has the same quality as mine.

11 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Early doors in his career? But anyway what would you have done with Kinky? Can't say Marriott looked off the pace.

I would be playing kinky and all our best players but if they were clearly not bothered then that is a different response but as we say we don’t really know

18 minutes ago, Spanish said:

do you have anything at all to support this?  I guess no.  If yes then I apologise unreservedly

here is another unsupported guess/lie - M close family member is seriously ill, FL has given him time off but M does not want anybody to know about it.  ?story but unless you can show of your claim, your story has the same quality as mine.

I used "sounds like" and "may be". Like most people on here I am basing my comment upon my own opinion only. Ok? 

Sadly many footballers today are so far up their own backsides and full of their own self importance it's a natural reaction to have these days. 

Spoilt brats most of them. 

It may be quite telling that jacks best form and fitness coincided with the period when big glitzy glamour cup games were on the upcoming fixture list , there is very obviously enough talent in the lad to cut it at league one standard with the personal drive and work ethic he has ,the question is whether that stands up as you move up the levels ,after the initial period of not getting in the team which was a bit of a worry he got in and looked like he could easily make the step up ( around glamour game period) but he has now had a period where he has looked very very ordinary and like he was struggling to make the step up ,he was doing very little and just constantly fouling defenders in frustration conjecture ?

heres the rub ,we know lampard gives you your chances if you are committed and giving your all , Bennett proves that beyond doubt , I don’t believe that lampard would be dropping jack out of the 18 if he was putting in the required work ethic , I just don’t 

Some people keep making out that you either have talented players or committed cloggers so we have to pick jack but there’s a third choice , you build the club on talented players who are committed enough to put the work in and the truth is a manager can never really be sure about players attitude and commitment until he buys them and has them in his squad ,jack will either hit the required standards or be shipped out and I have no problem with having a manager who knows first hand what it takes to succeed and won’t accept anything less from players he has playing for him

14 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Probably not, in fact most probably not.

But I still think he would have got a few more goals than we have been seeing of late.

9 in our last 3. Look, I get what your saying. A fit, in-firm and fully comittted Jack is one of the first names on the team sheet, in just not convinced that's where he's at right now. More importantly, neither is Frank.

Archived