Jack Marriott

i-Ram

13 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Marriott tonight would have made absolutely no difference. Midfield lost the game

Our final ball in around the 18 yard box was pants tonight. The only 2 players who were decent tonight were Keogh and Bogle. We now need Villa or Bristol to drop points between now and the end of the season, but we need to step our game

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gonna stick my neck out on this and the current Evans situation after what Lampard said prematch, but I think he is very protective over players being ready for games physically and mentally.

Holmes, Waghorn, Lawrence and others have all found themselvds being taken out for periods and we have debated on here about every single one of them. Every player has struggled with consistency this season and to me that’s a mental thing rather than physical, so maybe taking them out of the firing line helps re focus. Lampards comments on Evans was that he needs to work hard to get back into the side and then work to stay there. That says to me that he needs to find his top performance level and consistency be at it, if players like Marriott want be too champ players and win this league then rhey have to find it too. You can physically and technically the best you can possibly be, but it means nothing without the mental strength as well.

Tactical ? Nugent and Bennett are a better tactical option, oh dear Frank ? it’s a learning curve, it’s a learning curve, keep telling yourself it’s a learning curve. 

10 minutes ago, 86 points said:

I don't know whether it is or it isn't and neither do you. That's the point I've labouring to get you to take onboard. We'll know soon enough no doubt and I'll make an informed call in it when we do.

But Lampard said on Saturday that’s it’s a tactical reason so we do know the reason, ridiculous imo. Sure Waghorn deserved to start but Marriott provides something different , Nugent in no way shape or form deserved to be in the squad instead of Marriott

i missed whatever frank said as i fell asleep after watching that, but it seems that all is not rosy with regards to jack marriott.

Marriott looks like a very genuine player, so unless he is unfit - which would surely be acknowledged if that was the case - ultimately the problem is with the manager who can't seem to get the best out of him.

bennett did quite well when he came on - better than waghorn - but then he gets shifted with nugent brought on? 

24 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Every player has struggled with consistency this season and to me that’s a mental thing rather than physical, so maybe taking them out of the firing line helps re focus.

Or y'know, we used to say they need games to get match fit! I think Marriott et al would rather be playing than having their 'mental states' protected!

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Or y'know, we used to say they need games to get match fit! I think Marriott et al would rather be playing than having their 'mental states' protected!

I’m sure they would but then they need to wonder why it’s not happening. Marriott, in a way, has had to learn a new role this season whilst also making that step up from league 1. It’s not easy, but he’s done ok with it, but there’s a point now that Frank is wanting him to push him to get to that next step now. Same with Evans in terms of ‘if you want to play then work hard and show me’. I think it’s genuinely ‘tough love’ (Oi oi!) he’s showing them rather than tactical gameplay.

Also I’m not saying they aren’t in the right ‘mental state’ in terms hes dropped them because they are struggling mentally, but he wants to see them push themselves so they can play at their best consistently and not rest on their laurels. 

3 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Also I’m not saying they aren’t in the right ‘mental state’ in terms hes dropped them because they are struggling mentally, but he wants to see them push themselves so they can play at their best consistently and not rest on their laurels. 

Why then doesn't that apply to Nugent and Bennett for example?

Can't believe that Marriott couldn't have done what Waghorn did this evening.

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why then doesn't that apply to Nugent and Bennett for example?

Can't believe that Marriott couldn't have done what Waghorn did this evening.

Nugent isn’t here long term so he’s an ok back up to get us through.

Personally Bennett needs the game time now to see whether he can get passed  the injuries he seems to pick up, I actually think we look a better side when he’s in the team and does contribute effectively. So it needs a different approach.

Waghorn was poor tonight, but he’s only as effective as Wilson, Mount and Lawrence will let him because they need to get closer to him but also play more smart, in terms of passing and moving. Thought they were all thinking they were the ‘one man show’ tonight. The same can be attributed to some of Marriott’s performances during the season to be fair. Let’s face it, next season the midfield and frontline need a rethink to make them more effective. A lot of good players who haven’t contributed enough over the season 

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Marriott tonight would have made absolutely no difference. Midfield lost the game

You can't really say that because he only needs one chance.

He might have scored the chance that wilson fluffed by having to get the ball onto his left foot.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

i missed whatever frank said as i fell asleep after watching that, but it seems that all is not rosy with regards to jack marriott.

Marriott looks like a very genuine player, so unless he is unfit - which would surely be acknowledged if that was the case - ultimately the problem is with the manager who can't seem to get the best out of him.

bennett did quite well when he came on - better than waghorn - but then he gets shifted with nugent brought on? 

A horrible accident which closed the M65 on the way back at least put the game, result and performance into some perspective and allowed me to tune into Radio Derby and listen to Frank's afterwords.

He wasn't a happy bunny. And answered the inevitable question about Jack. Whoever asked got 'a longer answer than I thought I would'. In short, Frank wants all his players to give everything in every training session and to work hard to get themselves into the 18 and then stay there. What Frank very clearly didn't say was that Jack wasn't doing so, but he certainly implied it. 

If you believe that is the whole reason, and why wouldn't you, then it's strange. According to Peterborough's chairman Jack was someone who routinely gave everything all of the time. But he wouldn't be the first player to give the impression/believe that he'd made it after scoring a few goals. No doubt he'll quietly have his own views.

Our manager has standards that he wants his players to reach that reflect his own approach to playing. I like that. And I like his willingness to make what appear to be tough decisions. For what it's worth I think Jack would probably have struggled tonight. We got suffocated and overrun in midfield and our forwards were dominated by a large, well organised backline. Unfortunately we don't have the wit and skill and physical strength to overcome sides like that and Jack isn't yet quick enough, strong enough or big enough to prosper against those sorts of defences.

6 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

A horrible accident which closed the M65 on the way back at least put the game, result and performance into some perspective and allowed me to tune into Radio Derby and listen to Frank's afterwords.

He wasn't a happy bunny. And answered the inevitable question about Jack. Whoever asked got 'a longer answer than I thought I would'. In short, Frank wants all his players to give everything in every training session and to work hard to get themselves into the 18 and then stay there. What Frank very clearly didn't say was that Jack wasn't doing so, but he certainly implied it. 

If you believe that is the whole reason, and why wouldn't you, then it's strange. According to Peterborough's chairman Jack was someone who routinely gave everything all of the time. But he wouldn't be the first player to give the impression/believe that he'd made it after scoring a few goals. No doubt he'll quietly have his own views.

Our manager has standards that he wants his players to reach that reflect his own approach to playing. I like that. And I like his willingness to make what appear to be tough decisions. For what it's worth I think Jack would probably have struggled tonight. We got suffocated and overrun in midfield and our forwards were dominated by a large, well organised backline. Unfortunately we don't have the wit and skill and physical strength to overcome sides like that and Jack isn't yet quick enough, strong enough or big enough to prosper against those sorts of defences.

If you look at his early career he had a slow start and dropped down the leagues, and then something clicked and he kicked on.

Maybe the big price tag has effected him?

Im sure he’ll come good again.

6 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

I’ll go with that - and fair play to him

we need standards and we need to get 18 players to get to this level - to perform effectively and consistently

FL is in his rookie season - don’t drive him away. As he will just leave if everyone gets on his back

He has a major opportunity to re-design our squad in the close season

He deserves that opportunity

I think it’s worth a mention that the data available to managers and coaches these days with vests that measure vital personal stats in games and training and pro tracer stuff will really show up players who are not pushing themselves to the required levels , there’s nowhere to hide if players are not putting in 100%,like the old days , not saying this is jack but it’s worth considering if the data shows that Bennett ,waghorn,nugent are pushing themselves in a way that jacks not matching then it’s there in black and white for the coaches

10 hours ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

I would say 9 others- keogh and bogle 100% again iv given bogle alot of stick this season but he has done himself proud today well done lad! 

He's played well since Cole has arrived, coincidence?

Archived