Jack Marriott

i-Ram

Hopefully Jack will be doing everything in his powers to regain his place in the squad and get a start. 

Im glad that Frank doesn’t pick players on price tag alone, I think Jack looks to be an arm around the shoulder type of player to me.

Maybe not being the main man up front after great spell before his injury has effected his confidence a bit, at Peterborough he was the main man I bet. 

Waghorn is formidable competition when he’s on form too.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, angieram said:

That fluke just won March goal of the month by a landslide. 

Just realised, Bennett also won MOTM v Preston in August. I was in hospitality when it was presented.

Marriott may be the better player but please get your facts right.

Took the stats from who scored prob not that reliable but I’m glad u agree Marriott is the better player 

4 minutes ago, rammieib said:

We won't progress as a club with Mason Bennett featuring. He puts effort in but lacks quality or composure and he isn't even that quick! Not seen him beat anyone for speed in a long time.

I think Frank holds another opinion.

4 hours ago, rammieib said:

We won't progress as a club with Mason Bennett featuring. He puts effort in but lacks quality or composure and he isn't even that quick! Not seen him beat anyone for speed in a long time.

It’s all about opinions, Mason always seems to create a chance when he comes on. 

Opposition players always look a bit scared when Mason is running at em 

If it weren’t for injuries Mason would be a top player imo. 

21 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Just for some basic stats on this, to aide the conversation:

Jack Marriott has come off the bench 12 times in all comps this season.
He has registered one goal in those games (against Man Utd).
Zero assists.
We went on to win games that we were drawing/losing at the time of the substitution on one occasion. Man Utd away in the cup.

Mason Bennett has come off the bench 19 times in all comps this season.
He has registered one goal in those games (Wigan (H))
He has registered 3 assists (Reading (A), Hull (A), WBA (A))

We went on to win games that we were drawing or losing at the time of the substitution on 3 occasions (Reading (A), Hull (A), Wigan (H)); Worth noting that Wigan was from a losing position.

Also, technically Soton (A) but he didn't actually do anything in that game. Was 2-2 when he came on and it finished 2-2 with us winning on penalties.

Good work!!

Kinda proves neither are prolific. Its like getting a corner (especially if the keeper comes up), where the crowd get very excited and it feels like something is going to happen...but usually doesn't!

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

Good work!!

Kinda proves neither are prolific. Its like getting a corner (especially if the keeper comes up), where the crowd get very excited and it feels like something is going to happen...but usually doesn't!

One hand, sure, that is true. On the other hand, Bennett is as prolific as a substitute gets in the Championship. Especially considering how not-prolific he is when he starts. No-one else is even close to him in terms of impact off the bench, but I imagine impact off the bench is pretty rare in general at most clubs.
Now it's true that sometimes subs change the game without doing anything that would be recorded in statistics but I'm not looking into it that deeply. I'm just looking at goals/assists and the scoreline before/after.

Bennett is at the top of the list by a distance when it comes to measurable influence on a game after coming on.

Nugent, Holmes, and Bird have one changed result to their names (Norwich away).

Nugent has come off the bench a similar amount but only has a goal (in the loss to Millwall) and no assists off the bench. Jozefzoon's the next most frequent sub but has no impact to speak of.
Holmes has always looked good when he's come on but as far as I can tell (without looking into much depth) but the Norwich game is his only "impact" in terms of how I'm determining it.

Waghorn has one assist (the draw with Norwich at home). 

Basically everyone else has come off the bench 6 times or less and has done little to nothing upon doing so, a few more players have a changed result here and there, but usually in the Bennett games previously discussed in earlier posts.

IMO, Bennett should always be on the bench, and he should come on more often than not.

12 hours ago, Boycie said:

I think Frank holds another opinion.

What does he know? Has he played in gale force winds with side ways rain on the racecourse on a Sunday morning dodging dog poo and broken glass??? 

Has he been watching football half cut for the past 25 years? 

Keep your medals and your England Caps, that man knows nothing ? give me the job Mel 

7 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

What does he know? Has he played in gale force winds with side ways rain on the racecourse on a Sunday morning dodging dog poo and broken glass??? 

Has he been watching football half cut for the past 25 years? 

Keep your medals and your England Caps, that man knows nothing ? give me the job Mel 

I refereed a game at the Racecourse not long ago. I can confirm it had both dog poo and broken glass on the pitch. As well as a large motorcycle wheel-shaped divot running down the side of the pitch.

That said, on the basis the council has ditched a few smaller venues regards looking after the pitches, and concentrated on the larger ones, they are generally in better nick than they used to be. 

4 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

I refereed a game at the Racecourse not long ago. I can confirm it had both dog poo and broken glass on the pitch. As well as a large motorcycle wheel-shaped divot running down the side of the pitch.

That said, on the basis the council has ditched a few smaller venues regards looking after the pitches, and concentrated on the larger ones, they are generally in better nick than they used to be. 

Kids these days no nothing then ?

I can't find the logic in keeping Jack Marriott out of the side completely, he has scored 10 goals.

When Nigel Clough was here we would get giddy when a striker surpassed 10 goals in a season.

If Marriott plays today and bags a couple of goals then clearly Lamps is a genius. But the only way Marriott doesn't feature at least on our bench is through suspension, injury or something else.

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I can't find the logic in keeping Jack Marriott out of the side completely, he has scored 10 goals.

When Nigel Clough was here we would get giddy when a striker surpassed 10 goals in a season.

If Marriott plays today and bags a couple of goals then clearly Lamps is a genius. But the only way Marriott doesn't feature at least on our bench is through suspension, injury or something else.

Tactical decisions maybe?

Marriott plays his best football facing the goal, slipping in behind the defence - Waghorn and Bennett both have the capacity to play with their back to goal a little more - So if you know a defence plays a particularly deep line and/or has particularly quick/mobile CBs then you might want to prioritise players who are stronger with back to goal?

It’s been mentioned in this topic that Frank doesn’t seem to like the “Why isn’t X in the team” questions.

Reading his autobiography and came across this piece below from his younger years and Harry Redknapp.

72FEF004-CFC4-4130-868C-E07ECEA2A448.png

I think it’s relevant as it appears to have rubbed off on Frank, Marriott isn’t Maradona, if he leaves him out the team it’s because he says so, he’s the manager, doesn’t have to justify his decision. 

And this was family.

As a manager you’re going to get this type of question a lot, it’s part of the game, you may say most managers are like this which true.

I just think with this and other bits including staying behind for extra training, (which he has done with Max Bird), work ethic, passionate about youth development, remembering what it felt like to be a YTS, you really build up a picture of who he is.

I suspect the snappy replies to this type of question will be something you will have to get used to. 

For what it’s worth, I think it sends out the right message to the squad, doesn’t matter who you are, none of you are Maradona, too big to be left out, work hard, earn your place in the team.

Archived