Jack Marriott

i-Ram

14 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

How can he be in a better place than me to make the decision, I played for Alvaston Cavaliers for 5 seasons !!!! I know what I’m taking about.

And back to Bennett, yes I think there is a huge swell of populist opinion he’s better than he is because “he’s one of our own”. 

Undoubtedly there is.

But do you think Marriott has offered more from off the bench that Bennett this season? 

If so, can we have some examples? 

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Undoubtedly there is.

But do you think Marriott has offered more from off the bench that Bennett this season? 

I don’t have any, I just think he’s a far better option than Bennett. However I actually think bringing Mickel Beck out of retirement is a better option Bennett. 

20 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Undoubtedly there is.

Just for some basic stats on this, to aide the conversation:

Jack Marriott has come off the bench 12 times in all comps this season.
He has registered one goal in those games (against Man Utd).
Zero assists.
We went on to win games that we were drawing/losing at the time of the substitution on one occasion. Man Utd away in the cup.

Mason Bennett has come off the bench 19 times in all comps this season.
He has registered one goal in those games (Wigan (H))
He has registered 3 assists (Reading (A), Hull (A), WBA (A))

We went on to win games that we were drawing or losing at the time of the substitution on 3 occasions (Reading (A), Hull (A), Wigan (H)); Worth noting that Wigan was from a losing position.

Also, technically Soton (A) but he didn't actually do anything in that game. Was 2-2 when he came on and it finished 2-2 with us winning on penalties.

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Zero assists.
We went on to win games that we were drawing/losing at the time of the substitution on one occasion. Man Utd away in the cup.

We went on to win games that we were drawing or losing at the time of the substitution on 3 occasions (Reading (A), Hull (A), Wigan (H)); Worth noting that Wigan was from a losing position.

Also, technically Soton (A) but he didn't actually do anything in that game. Was 2-2 when he came on and it finished 2-2 with us winning on penalties.

Do you have the stats for mins on the pitch (per game) for those appearances ? 

10 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Do you have the stats for mins on the pitch (per game) for those appearances ? 

Bennett averages 25 minutes per sub appearance. In the specific games in question, his minutes were:

Reading (A): 17
Hull (A): 3
WBA (A): 22
Wigan (H): 33

Marriott averages 21.2 minutes per sub appearance. He played 11 minutes at Man Utd (A).

EDIT: Corrected Bennett's average minutes, I'd missed a couple times out when doing the calc.

12 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Zero assists.

Thank you kind Sir or Madam! 

9 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Bennett averages 25 minutes per sub appearance. In the specific games in question, his minutes were:

Reading (A): 17
Hull (A): 3
WBA (A): 22
Wigan (H): 33

Marriott averages 21.2 minutes per sub appearance. He played 11 minutes at Man Utd (A).

EDIT: Corrected Bennett's average minutes, I'd missed a couple times out when doing the calc.

Thank you, knew he got more time 

It isn't surprising that Marriotts form dipped after the injury and also coincided with Mounts absence. To be fair as a team we struggled to create any chances without Mount. I think if you put Marriott in a team with a player like Mount the goals will come. In the games against Leeds, Villa, Forest and others you could of put Messi in the team and he wouldn't of scored, you don't create you don't score.

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

Disagree, thought it was a bit of a fluke actually and unfortunately will cement his place in the squad for another few months. I really think Marriott coming of the bench offers far more than Bennett ever will. Again unfortunately Jack seems to only get 5-10 mins where Bennett gets a good 20, maybe that’s the reason he seems to offer more of the bench. 

In fact I’m astonished this is even a debate. These rose tinted “he’s one of our own ?“ glasses are really powerful aren’t they. 

Bennett has been the one that has constantly given us boost off the bench all season from whatever position he has been asked to play - Marriott hasn’t looked likely to do anything since the Southampton home game but we all hope he will, he has suffered from a lack of confidence of others around him 

16 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Thank you, knew he got more time 

Yes, 3.8 minutes, which is rather less than the difference between 5-10 minutes and a good 20!

And with those 3.8 minutes he's created an extra three assists.

Admit you like Marriott better than Bennett, that's fine, but please don't use unprovable arguments to back up your preference.

For the record, I like them both. 

17 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

It isn't surprising that Marriotts form dipped after the injury and also coincided with Mounts absence. To be fair as a team we struggled to create any chances without Mount. I think if you put Marriott in a team with a player like Mount the goals will come. In the games against Leeds, Villa, Forest and others you could of put Messi in the team and he wouldn't of scored, you don't create you don't score.

Good point and I am sure you will see a different Marriott when he gets his chance  now Mount is back in the team. 

19 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Poor decision by Lampard to leave him out.

Made all the poorer when Waghorn got injured. If you don't see Nugent as a suitable replacement upfront (which he clearly didn't because he brught Mason on), then why have him on the bench? And why leave JM out? 

Another naive error.

But how can you say that with absolutely no hard info as to why he wasn’t on the bench.?  And as to the Nuge / Mason thing surely that was simply a judgment call. Nuge has a lot of guile but Mason has a kind of physique and energy that might have topped a finely balanced scale. 

1 minute ago, angieram said:

Yes, 3.8 minutes, which is rather less than the difference between 5-10 minutes and a good 20!

And with those 3.8 minutes he's created an extra three assists.

Admit you like Marriott better than Bennett, that's fine, but please don't use unprovable arguments to back up your preference.

For the record, I like them both. 

My argument has been proved. He’s had more time that’s a fact, on 20mins it’s 20% more, you asked for facts you now have them.

For the record I only like one. 

16 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Thought Bennett was decent yesterday.

Thought he did a good job. 

No issue with Marriott being left out if that's what Frank thinks is best.

He's not done anything more than any of the other strikers of late to demand his place.

20 hours ago, RedSox said:

According to the article in the DET, FL said it was just a tactical decision. No injury. No strop (that he is prepared to refer to).

I’ve just seen Jack in B & Q returning some patio furniture for a refund ...?

1 hour ago, peachmyster said:

Marriott 7 goals 3 assists motm 1 

bennett 2 goals  (including 1 fluke ) 3 assists motm 0 

enough said Marriott should start before Bennett 

That fluke just won March goal of the month by a landslide. 

Just realised, Bennett also won MOTM v Preston in August. I was in hospitality when it was presented.

Marriott may be the better player but please get your facts right.

Archived