Jack Marriott

i-Ram

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

Sadly, my opinion of modern day footballers is not very high. 

Give me the good hard working grafters of yesteryear any day. 

You see, even though I'm fairly old myself, I don't believe that. I think modern day footballers train harder and live cleaner than any generation before them (with the odd exception, of course!)

All this about Marriott’s attitude is simply hearsay. When he first came here he said in one of his first interviews that he  watches Agueros clips  because they are in similar in height and stature and he likes to improve himself to be the best he can. A typical arrogant footballer wouldn’t be humble enough to admit that. All we have to go off is that he was left out of the squad due to tactical reasons. Just because Nugent runs around a bit in training and shows a bit of ‘fire’ by going around calling opposition players poo, doesn’t mean he deserves to play. In no way shape or form are Bryson or Nugent more deserving of being in the squad than Marriott if we assess their quality. You could Bennett deserves his spot because he can play in more than one position, but even then he is nowhere near as good as Marriott. If Lampard just came out and said that Marriott isn’t trying as hard in training then there is more room for him to be forgiven and fans would be more understanding, but saying he was left out due to tactical reasons leaves room for all this speculation because we all know it’s balls.

49 minutes ago, angieram said:

You see, even though I'm fairly old myself, I don't believe that. I think modern day footballers train harder and live cleaner than any generation before them (with the odd exception, of course!)

They are so far removed from reality living in their castles and mansions. I guess that's not their fault, but the fault of modern day football and the obscene amount of money they can earn nowadays. 

Back in the 1970s and early 1980s  I lived in the same village as Alan Hinton and John O'Hare and they were just normal folk in normal houses. 

1 minute ago, oldtimeram said:

They are so far removed from reality living in their castles and mansions. I guess that's not their fault, but the fault of modern day football and the obscene amount of money they can earn nowadays. 

Back in the 1970s and early 1980s  I lived in the same village as Alan Hinton and John O'Hare and they were just normal folk in normal houses. 

I get your point and I don't think the enjoyment of watching the game has been improved by all the money.  What i would say though it is a crying shame that the great players of those days were woefully badly rewarded.  I guess you will remember that picture of Kevin Hector doing his postal rounds after leaving football.  Just like Beckham delivering for UPS!  Even at the time I shook my head in disbelief.  That generation and some of the next missed out big time.

1 hour ago, Archied said:

It may be quite telling that jacks best form and fitness coincided with ...

having some decent service from midfield and some link up play. He (and Waghorn, et al) have struggled because of that being missing.

All this doesn't train hard enough is FLs crap excuse for having a poor midfield mix!

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

having some decent service from midfield and some link up play. He (and Waghorn, et al) have struggled because of that being missing.

All this doesn't train hard enough is FLs crap excuse for having a poor midfield mix!

Only time will tell and I’m not sure how much of that us old gits have got

9 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

Jumpers for goal posts. Isn't it? Mmm, marvellous

9 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

Good old Ockbrook...dont forget Durban and anderson were there as well lol

• 4 weeks later...

I think it’s time we unleashed Jack back into the team, if Waghorns struggling then why risk him?  Jack must be frustrated sat on the bench seeing Nugent get time on the pitch and missing some chances.  

Im sure he can run around like a headless chicken the same as Nudge, and has a better goal record this season.

9 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I think it’s time we unleashed Jack back into the team, if Waghorns struggling then why risk him?  Jack must be frustrated sat on the bench seeing Nugent get time on the pitch and missing some chances.  

Im sure he can run around like a headless chicken the same as Nudge, and has a better goal record this season.

I disagree, I think Nugent is the much more logical choice for a straight swap.

Marriotts loss of form came when he had to play the Waghorn role and became isolated. His hold up play is not a patch on Waghorns and I don't think it is as good as Nugents.

The slight difference now is that we are playing football higher up the pitch since Mount's return to form.

17 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Yes I agree but fingers crossed waggy is not struggling. Him and Lawrence missing (if there is any truth in the Lawrence ban) are going to be huge holes to fill. Waghorn leads the line well.

Is Chris Martin back now from Hull ? ?. Would he be allowed to play??

There was a mad rumor floating about that FL wasn't playing him because if he scores another goal for us we have to pay Peterborough more money (potentially enough to cause us FFP trouble).

Never gave that a minute of thought until Sunday, because I am still really struggling to see why you bring Nugent on ahead of him.

I saw some fluffy answers in the DET about Nugent being a bit taller and being able to hold up the ball - complete nonsense. We were trying to play through the lines most of the time anyway, so no need for all that height - and Marriott holds the ball up better than Nugent, anyway?

Really weird situation that I hope gets sorted soon, because he's one of the few contracted players we have that really gets me off my seat.

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

There was a mad rumor floating about that FL wasn't playing him because if he scores another goal for us we have to pay Peterborough more money (potentially enough to cause us FFP trouble).

Never gave that a minute of thought until Sunday, because I am still really struggling to see why you bring Nugent on ahead of him.

I saw some fluffy answers in the DET about Nugent being a bit taller and being able to hold up the ball - complete nonsense. We were trying to play through the lines most of the time anyway, so no need for all that height - and Marriott holds the ball up better than Nugent, anyway?

Really weird situation that I hope gets sorted soon, because he's one of the few contracted players we have that really gets me off my seat.

I disagree with DET that it was a height thing. But Nugent is more similar to Waghorn in terms of style than Marriott is, so there's some logic to it when the substitution is forced. If Waghorn's coming off because he's not working, bringing on Nugent seems pointless, but when he's doing really well and has to come off I don't feel the same way.

Marriott's a better player (than Nugent) but he's a very different player, and in hindsight sticking to our guns with Nugent didn't see the team's performance drop, so I feel as though it was the right call.

Archived